Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 05-10-2023, 02:58 PM
Aviak

Default Brand New Enchanter

I started playing a Chanter for a number of reasons, one of which being I've never played a caster before.

I've gotten myself to level 16 by power leveling. (Brazier to level 11, Tooth to 16. See my post in General about my woes with that tooth.) Now I'm trying to actually learn the class, specifically charm killing.

I'm in NRo charming dervish cutthroats and generally succeeding. (I haven't died yet! I know I will, but not yet.) However, I go through my entire bar of mana killing one camp. Because I've twinked the chanter with maybe 3k of gear, medding takes quite a while. (Even with Breeze.)

What am I doing wrong? I know I need to get 51% of the damage per mob, so I'm hitting each with Sanity Warp twice. That's a big mana hog, though.

I've read (and keep open) Xornn's guide, but am still having a tough time figuring this out on my own.

Cheers.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaerhawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I started playing a Chanter for a number of reasons, one of which being I've never played a caster before.

I've gotten myself to level 16 by power leveling. (Brazier to level 11, Tooth to 16. See my post in General about my woes with that tooth.) Now I'm trying to actually learn the class, specifically charm killing.

I'm in NRo charming dervish cutthroats and generally succeeding. (I haven't died yet! I know I will, but not yet.) However, I go through my entire bar of mana killing one camp. Because I've twinked the chanter with maybe 3k of gear, medding takes quite a while. (Even with Breeze.)

What am I doing wrong? I know I need to get 51% of the damage per mob, so I'm hitting each with Sanity Warp twice. That's a big mana hog, though.

I've read (and keep open) Xornn's guide, but am still having a tough time figuring this out on my own.

Cheers.
Charm killing takes a lot of mana at low levels. Are you 1v1 the mob or using one to kill multiple?
If your doing 1v1 and killing both you don't need to do 51% dmg,just break at low % and finish them both off. When you break charm, your pets dmg leaves the mobs memory.
If your using one pet to kill a bunch of mobs,it's probably not worth it to try to do 51% dmg either.

You can always back your pet off,memory blur and nuke as well. Will net full XP from that kill.
Old 05-10-2023, 03:20 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Charm killing takes a lot of mana at low levels. Are you 1v1 the mob or using one to kill multiple?
If your doing 1v1 and killing both you don't need to do 51% dmg,just break at low % and finish them both off. When you break charm, your pets dmg leaves the mobs memory.
If your using one pet to kill a bunch of mobs,it's probably not worth it to try to do 51% dmg either.

You can always back your pet off,memory blur and nuke as well. Will net full XP from that kill.
1vMany

I really like the 1v1 idea, though. I need something to break the charm other than casting invis on myself. Goblin Gauz-whatever Ring probably.

I also like the idea of backing pet off and mem-blurring. Will have to practice that.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2023, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaerhawk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1vMany

I really like the 1v1 idea, though. I need something to break the charm other than casting invis on myself. Goblin Gauz-whatever Ring probably.

I also like the idea of backing pet off and mem-blurring. Will have to practice that.

Thanks!
1v many works well to, and usually kills mobs faster.
Backing your pet out of the fight before you invis helps with the lack of instant invis item.
It's a lot of roots,and a lot of mana either way.
A bar of mana to kill 4+ mobs isn't unreasonable
Old 05-10-2023, 06:20 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1v many works well to, and usually kills mobs faster.
Backing your pet out of the fight before you invis helps with the lack of instant invis item.
It's a lot of roots,and a lot of mana either way.
A bar of mana to kill 4+ mobs isn't unreasonable
Cool, thanks. Good to know! Appreciate the help.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:48 PM
Planar Protector

Leveled up to 52 so far without a invis clicky, what works for me in a 1v1 is to cast mez, quickly type "/pet back" in the chat window and just before it finishes casting hit enter. If all goes well you'll have plenty of time to position yourself to break and root.
Old 05-10-2023, 06:55 PM
Fire Giant

Charming in general is pretty crappy until 29. The twenties really suck for enchanters because the animation is weak and charming is weak.

Also your nukes are very weak. It's usually not worth it to try and out DPS your pet. Just let him continue to mow through things. Even with the XP hit it will win in the long run.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:07 PM
Aviak

Oh, thanks both of you. That's awesome advice. I'm having SO much fun with this. Moved to West Commons 'cause I can get heals and buffs when I'm in danger.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:12 PM
Banned

Don't underestimate your animation. If you get a mage focus item (broom of trillon etc, quest items found in EC) you can cycle with ease to get a max level animation each exp session. If done right your pet will be higher level than a few tiers of the lowest blues and exp giving greens. If you mow'd thru those not worrying about animation taking exp that is probably your fastest route to your 30s assuming you know where to hunt.

Start charming in your 30s to test the waters, but unless you really know what you are doing your max'd animation will consume less mana and be more efficient if soloing.

By the time you are in your 40s you'll be charming almost all the time.
Old 05-10-2023, 07:28 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't underestimate your animation. If you get a mage focus item (broom of trillon etc, quest items found in EC) you can cycle with ease to get a max level animation each exp session.
Oh, good to know, thanks! Also, how do you know you have the highest-level pet obtainable? Is there any way besides /con?
Last edited by Spaerhawk; 05-10-2023 at 07:30 PM..