Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooantipostoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I apologize for snapping at you and calling you ignorant, I just took the first picture quote a little to the heart. You could of worded your views a little differently, I also could of replayed to this with alot cooler headed.
Totally appreciate that dude, and I agree that my post was probably in poor taste. I was thinking the pictures and my sentiment was light hearted, but if I actually offended you, I'm sorry because offending was not my intention.

Like I said before I respect your right to your views and opinions, and I believe they have every chance of being true as anyone elses'.

You seem like an alright guy, and I would prefer to be your friend than antagonistic. I'm glad we can not hate.

Peas and carrots dude.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

...didn't see that plot twist coming.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Many of you have had interactions with me....would you believe that I was raised a southern baptist? I'm of the ilk that no religion is 100% correct, too many texts mention Jesus, both secular and non-secular, to have the stance that he wasn't a man here on earth. Not only that, he felt so strongly about his position & his ideals that he was willing to die for them in an unbelievable painful manner is extremely noble. He could have been smuggled out of the Middle East and into Greece or Crete where scholars were revered and protected and lived a full and dedicated life. And, while many would disagree, most of the tenants that lie at the core of most religions (10 Commandments for example) when viewed as nothing more than a code to live by, would make the world a better place.

With that said, on both ends of the spectrum Fanaticism and Atheism are equally wrong. We live in shades of gray on a day to day basis, but in some sort of surreal cosmic or benevolent joke there are 10 rules that could remove the gray. Convincing 6 billion people not to lie? Ever? Surely you jest.

With all that said, I think the last estimate I saw was the 95% of the world still believed in the existence of some higher power, be it God, Yahweh, Buddha, or any other hundreds of different interpretations, all with the general concept of: "Be cool with each other". Yet people still try to kill and maim each other because they have a different name for their Almighty. Mans downfall is not the existence of religion, nor the absence, mans downfall is himself and his own arrogance and ignorance. Two traits that are as far from a divine being as can be. Some of the greatest atrocities have been carried out on the world in the name of religion, and by that same token some of the greatest care-givers and benefactors the world has ever known have done so under that same flag.

In closing, Scientology is weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Planar Protector

Can't we just cut the fat around the 10 commandments (and other like creeds), stop the lies that is religion and just live by that code? Like, here, these are good ideas! Pass them down to your children and children's children. Not the whole song and dance about jewish zombies.

I guess it's a best fit if people are incapable of accepting a moral code and instead must be fed these lies to trick them into following the code. But my belief system hinges on everyone should ideally be like me (as everyone does), so that's why I think that's silly.

Sorry for calling religion lies to those that would take offense but I'm running out of bullshit time at work and I don't have the patience to come up with a suitable change of words to convey my meaning while not using the word lie.

And yeah, about the rest:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Ektar; 04-04-2010 at 10:06 PM..
Old 04-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Many of you have had interactions with me....would you believe that I was raised a southern baptist? I'm of the ilk that no religion is 100% correct, too many texts mention Jesus, both secular and non-secular, to have the stance that he wasn't a man here on earth. Not only that, he felt so strongly about his position & his ideals that he was willing to die for them in an unbelievable painful manner is extremely noble. He could have been smuggled out of the Middle East and into Greece or Crete where scholars were revered and protected and lived a full and dedicated life. And, while many would disagree, most of the tenants that lie at the core of most religions (10 Commandments for example) when viewed as nothing more than a code to live by, would make the world a better place.

With that said, on both ends of the spectrum Fanaticism and Atheism are equally wrong. We live in shades of gray on a day to day basis, but in some sort of surreal cosmic or benevolent joke there are 10 rules that could remove the gray. Convincing 6 billion people not to lie? Ever? Surely you jest.

With all that said, I think the last estimate I saw was the 95% of the world still believed in the existence of some higher power, be it God, Yahweh, Buddha, or any other hundreds of different interpretations, all with the general concept of: "Be cool with each other". Yet people still try to kill and maim each other because they have a different name for their Almighty. Mans downfall is not the existence of religion, nor the absence, mans downfall is himself and his own arrogance and ignorance. Two traits that are as far from a divine being as can be. Some of the greatest atrocities have been carried out on the world in the name of religion, and by that same token some of the greatest care-givers and benefactors the world has ever known have done so under that same flag.

In closing, Scientology is weird.
You're pretty cool dude. I like the way you think.
Nice Bill&Ted reference! George Carlin is teh awesome!

I slightly disagree with ignorance being man's downfall. Ignorance is the natural state, and not really negative. Acting on ignorance or arrogantly ignoring facts and acting is the problem, imo.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:08 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

As an aside, here is an interesting article. Theologian or not, this is wicked dope.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...910139,00.html

I remember reading the Time article in reference here. I think overall, I just can't put my faith in the fact that us being here is one astronomically oddity that is in essence a cosmic joke. To strike a correlation; most folks look for adversity. They strive on it as they feel overcoming it gives them a sense of purpose. If all of that is for naught, then why do we live and die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:43 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ektar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And yeah, about the rest:
Hahahha best episode ever

Suck my balls K-10, im not in the mood
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To strike a correlation; most folks look for adversity. They strive on it as they feel overcoming it gives them a sense of purpose. If all of that is for naught, then why do we live and die?
Gonna go out front and say it, I didn't read the article. I'm not a big reader. I'm currently in an eq withdrawal phase and perhaps will get to it later.

However my thought on this line~ Religion is a big part of rationalizing the universe in that it gives people a sense of purpose. If people realized life is meaningless they wouldn't do shit. Think about being terminal and dying in a month. Then add on top there is no god or afterlife. Only thing ya got left is "leaving your mark on the world." And lemme take that away from ya real fast - you no longer exist so who gives a fuck. You have no consciousness; no being. What's the difference if your name is in a textbook, or your children are happy.. or whatev. You don't exiiiiist.

Why do we live? Meh, just kinda happened.. proteins combined or some crap? Evolution is just some passive thing that occurred because every being along the line rationalized his existence to have purpose. Perhaps it's even a PART of evolution - just like he with black fur survived for whatever reason, he with the natural tendency to rationalize his existence survived because he cared more.
So I mean, that's why we live... we live because of the uncountable mutations that occurred along the line to bring us to how we are now. Why do we die? Well, because we expire aaand whatever else science came up with. No one's adapted to death yet!

But I mean, the bottom line being we're not even a blip on the scheme of the universe. Consciousness happened to spark and evolve to what it is today.. but it could have just not and whatthefuckever.
Last edited by Ektar; 04-06-2010 at 10:19 PM..
Closed Thread