Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 07-31-2022, 12:36 PM
Planar Protector

Thank you for that touch stone.

On the subject of foods: Am I gonna be in trouble for RPing my lizard likes eating bugs?

I understand the iksar has some asian inspiration, and some asian cuisine uses ingredients frowned upon by western cultures. Is this racist for me to play up? Or does the fact there are a lot of earthworm/beetle based street foods already in game okay this?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-31-2022, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

Is touch stone what cavemen zoomers said to other cavemen that spent too much time outside of caves?
Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Idk i fought it was analogous to the rosetta stone? I’m pretty uncultured so i probably just pulled the wrong phrase out my brains.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:50 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel as a foreigner i’m missing out on a cultural touch point here… everyone loves fried chicken and watermelon. Don’t you yank red necks like these things? Like its. A stereotype that whiteys don’t eat enough fruit or white meat?
Everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken, but historically (Jim Crow, post Reconstruction era etc) and even now in less... informed... parts of the country, they are considered major staples of an African American diet. This is because post-emancipation African Americans in the South were typically very, very poor, and watermelon is an extremely easy crop to grow in the South while also being one of the more dessert like foods available to poor people. Chickens are well... Chickens, anyone can keep a few Chickens easily. Fried Chicken was one of the high points of the week. Hence it has persisted as a racial stereotype, even if it is one of the more harmless ones. That's why you also see many, many assorted memes about Fried Chicken restaurants.

So yeah, my experience with DMO was less KKK racist or anything even particularly offensive and more just... the subtext racism of awkward white guy nerds who thought they were clever.
Old 07-31-2022, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Idk i fought it was analogous to the rosetta stone? I’m pretty uncultured so i probably just pulled the wrong phrase out my brains.
It just reminded me of touch grass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-31-2022, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone loves watermelon and fried chicken, but historically (Jim Crow, post Reconstruction era etc) and even now in less... informed... parts of the country, they are considered major staples of an African American diet. This is because post-emancipation African Americans in the South were typically very, very poor, and watermelon is an extremely easy crop to grow in the South while also being one of the more dessert like foods available to poor people. Chickens are well... Chickens, anyone can keep a few Chickens easily. Fried Chicken was one of the high points of the week. Hence it has persisted as a racial stereotype, even if it is one of the more harmless ones. That's why you also see many, many assorted memes about Fried Chicken restaurants.

So yeah, my experience with DMO was less KKK racist or anything even particularly offensive and more just... the subtext racism of awkward white guy nerds who thought they were clever.
Ah thank you for explaining the water melon thing. That fruit is expensive in my ends! I would have never imagined it implied poverty.

EDIT: obviously where i’m from we don’t learn much american history as it’s not too relevant/ we have plenty of our own / world history to study.

We did learn about depression era america though - was the ‘chicken for every pot’ meant to appeal to aa voters cos chicken or was it an implied racism as the chicken was implied to be for boil/stew not frying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It just reminded me of touch grass [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ah haha yes i get it now, thank you for explaining ‘[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by Jimjam; 07-31-2022 at 04:27 PM..
Old 07-31-2022, 04:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Ah thank you for explaining the water melon thing. That fruit is expensive in my ends! I would have never imagined it implied poverty.

EDIT: obviously where i’m from we don’t learn much american history as it’s not too relevant/ we have plenty of our own / world history to study.

We did learn about depression era america though - was the ‘chicken for every pot’ meant to appeal to aa voters cos chicken or was it an implied racism as the chicken was implied to be for boil/stew not frying?
ah haha yes i get it now, thank you for explaining ‘[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's always a punchline hidden somewhere in every one of 18,000 of my posts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-31-2022, 07:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
More just that you could be sure to have one every Sunday after church for a fancy meal. It was often a communal event and definitely not a guaranteed event every week. After all, a lot of the times the chicken is more valuable for eggs than it is meat. It's not as if only African Americans ate and raised chickens, it was just a stereotype. You could have applied the same logic like Loramin did to even poor whites, but the racist meme of it has persisted mostly referring to African Americans in the South. Also, the quote has some interesting history but it isn't really worth getting into on Elf forums if you wanna check that out for whatever reason. It's not so much a Hoover quote as a Henry the Great quote.

Which is a long way to say 'casual racism but obfuscated enough to not raise most flags' which imo describes DMO pretty well.
Old 08-02-2022, 04:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Which is a long way to say 'casual racism but obfuscated enough to not raise most flags' which imo describes DMO pretty well.
I really don't think the intent of that guild was "hee hee let's be naughty racists on the dl cause irl we hate black people!". My guess is that it was more of an experiment to see how neurotic and primed for outrage the social environment is.

Or not, I honestly don't know, but whenever I see people accusing them of being a bunch of terrible racists I can't help but feel like some kind of bait is being taken.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really don't think the intent of that guild was "hee hee let's be naughty racists on the dl cause irl we hate black people!". My guess is that it was more of an experiment to see how neurotic and primed for outrage the social environment is.

Or not, I honestly don't know, but whenever I see people accusing them of being a bunch of terrible racists I can't help but feel like some kind of bait is being taken.
Thing is, I don't think it was that big of a deal? From what I've heard they got canned because Nirgon is Nirgon. It was more of an instance of 'te-he, wouldn't it be funny if?'.