Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by baue1446 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If I am actively playing a toon and I have a friend who is not in the same house(other side of the country in fact) log into my other account and sit to collect xp. Is this legal? I am not boxing or using 2 computers. Just some random friend whos logging on my 2nd account and doing nothing.

Just wanted to know if this is breaking rules?
I wouldn't risk it. You could permanently lose both accounts.

Devs are smart enough to know you could be using a VPN to make a second computer's IP look like it is logged in on the other side of the world.

If they make both your IPs run a Box test at the same time, and you fail, your accounts go poof permanently after all the work you put into them.

But believe me, there is boxing going on all around the Green server enough it appears the GMs are asleep.
Old 12-14-2023, 05:22 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_of_Fippy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But believe me, there is boxing going on all around the Green server enough it appears the GMs are asleep.
100%. It is a shame. At least it is better than live though.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:13 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_of_Fippy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gotta disagree. Boxing here is about as well controlled as you can possibly hope for, which is to say people are not ballsy enough to just roll into blackburrow soloing on a monk\shaman duo, because it's totally obvious that it's boxing. Most boxing that goes on here is probably tunnel mules and people quickly porting\rezzing themselves. They can't stop every boxer doing this or else playing on\managing the server would be a massive headache for all involved, but I almost never see people clearly powerleveling themselves or duoing with themselves in a dungeon which you see constantly on live and on other emus.

As for the question in the OP, afaik this is not against the rules because raid guilds do it allllll the time to quickly level up new bots (usually clerics and mages) and I've never heard any stories of bannings for it. Earn dkp by logging in our shared bot accounts while grouped with a bard who swarms CoM all day! I'm really not a fan of doing this but it's not against the rules to my knowledge.

I'm not sure how the box check would even go? If the other person who they think is you is literally at work and won't be home for 7 hours, do they just assume guilt or do they give you a chance to do the box test 7 hours later when the person is back home? Again never heard of raid guild bots getting popped for it but maybe it's happened.

The best advice as always though is just to not risk it because losing all that time has gotta suck I don't care how many other accounts somebody has. If you still play eq at this point in your life losing all that time has gotta hurt.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:43 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gotta disagree. Boxing here is about as well controlled as you can possibly hope for, which is to say people are not ballsy enough to just roll into blackburrow soloing on a monk\shaman duo, because it's totally obvious that it's boxing. Most boxing that goes on here is probably tunnel mules and people quickly porting\rezzing themselves. They can't stop every boxer doing this or else playing on\managing the server would be a massive headache for all involved, but I almost never see people clearly powerleveling themselves or duoing with themselves in a dungeon which you see constantly on live and on other emus.
This isn't really correct. There is absolutely plenty of boxing on both servers. You may not notice it because you just haven't run into it...there are plenty of PLing duos they just don't roll into the super popular dungeons (ironically, since Blackburrow is empty it's a place I've seen plenty of boxers). If you XP in the out of the way zones (or semi out of the way) you will notice them (for example, several weeks back I saw someone killing guards in Butcher Block with a level 29 Enchanter sitting there periodically casting Clarity on them whenever the buff ran out...hmmmm). And it's not that the GMs don't care or don't try to stop it, it's just that it's very difficult to catch when you're dealing with unpaid volunteers who have real life obligations. You have to hope that someone is online right when you petition the people for boxing (or that they stay boxing for a long time). When I was CSR on live for example we'd occasionally be asked to crack down on boxing if it got too rampant and was causing arguable zone disruptions, and it was always difficult to catch unless we were online when the petition came in. One thing that could make it easier is to ping a couple GMs directly on Discord, I'm assuming if they're free they'd jump on quickly and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciderpress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not sure how the box check would even go? If the other person who they think is you is literally at work and won't be home for 7 hours, do they just assume guilt or do they give you a chance to do the box test 7 hours later when the person is back home? Again never heard of raid guild bots getting popped for it but maybe it's happened.
Not sure what you mean by how would the box check go. If they show up to box check you and the other person is AFK they will usually just ban you (unless the person gets back very quickly and you pass the boxing test). Also not sure why you're referencing raid bots...they don't get popped for it because if they're being PLed then they're not boxing...any large raiding guild that is spending time leveling bots is absolutely not going to risk boxing them if they have any sense because not only could that lead to both accounts being banned but it could also lead to penalties for the guild.
Old 12-14-2023, 06:55 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not sure what you mean by how would the box check go. If they show up to box check you and the other person is AFK they will usually just ban you (unless the person gets back very quickly and you pass the boxing test). Also not sure why you're referencing raid bots...they don't get popped for it because if they're being PLed then they're not boxing...any large raiding guild that is spending time leveling bots is absolutely not going to risk boxing them if they have any sense because not only could that lead to both accounts being banned but it could also lead to penalties for the guild.
Fair enough, there might be a lot more boxing than I'm aware of.

The reason I brought up the guild bot example though is because it's exactly what the OP is describing: Another real person, in a real place, on a real computer, logging in a shared character and afk'ing all day while a different real person (the bard in this case) does all the work of grinding xp while the bot soaks. Guilds do this all the time, and I've never heard of a bot (or the toon grinding) getting banned for it, which would inevitably happen sometimes given how common it is to level bots (esp cleric bots) in this exact way.

What I'm saying is, how are the GM's supposed to differentiate between the above, and somebody doing the same thing with a vpn or whatever? What gives away boxers is that there are two characters who are both active, but never do anything at the same time. If somebody is just afk for like 8 straight hours, how is the GM supposed to know if it's a box or a legitimate shared account PLing session? They would just outright ban both of you?
Last edited by Ciderpress; 12-14-2023 at 07:03 PM..
Old 12-15-2023, 07:50 AM
Fire Giant

If you do something that's indistinguishable from boxing you are risking a ban OP
Old 12-16-2023, 12:29 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Gotta disagree. Boxing here is about as well controlled as you can possibly hope for, which is to say people are not ballsy enough to just roll into blackburrow soloing on a monk\shaman duo, because it's totally obvious that it's boxing.
Then you are not paying attention. They do box in Blackburrow as duos. I have seen it several times.

The most common I have seen are boxes farming guards in Grobb. The main character is doing the farming. There is a level 1 Troll sitting in the tunnel to the zoneline, not interested in going outside and leveling. Just sits there. Occasionally the main character and level 1 interact, then the troll runs off to the nearby vendor and comes back to the tunnel. This same scenario I have seen in Kaladim and Rivervale.

I have seen boxing at the top platform at the Aviaks and at the Gnoll spires in SK.

I have seen boxing in Tox Forrest.

Look for duos that complement each other at the exact same level that are together all the time, like a SK&SHM. Most are legit, but you can spot the ones that are not if you observe long enough.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The rule basically boils down to
If you fail the box test for any reason, you're banned
This.

If you get reported, a GM Is gonna show up and perform the box test with both of you. If your friend is AFK, not at the computer, or barely even knows how to play, you’ll likely fail. If you fail, you’ll get banned. Not worth the risk imo
Old 01-09-2024, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
What gives away boxers is that there are two characters who are both active, but never do anything at the same time. If somebody is just afk for like 8 straight hours, how is the GM supposed to know if it's a box or a legitimate shared account PLing session? They would just outright ban both of you?
They wouldn't outright ban without a boxing test. What would trigger them giving a boxing test in that scenario? Not quite sure. Maybe they'd look to see if the other character had ever logged in from the same IP and/or computer as the active character. Maybe they would just decide to box test them regardless just to be safe. Probably depends on the staff member.