Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 04-22-2023, 03:00 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinmob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As every fantasy rulebook should have! Yeah like I was saying the last time, the OSE book I got was a bit lifeless. Yours looks like it was actually printed in 1981

[EDIT] For the record, I stand for ascending armour class (see how I spelt 'armor' there)

[EDIT] Hahaha that fighter got a CHICKEN HEAD! You're an idiot, you silly magician. You made the hobbit faint!

[EDIT] and then that elf like, well I'm 1,000 years old and this shit's lame...
OSE is a more true old school experience though, DCC leans heavily into RNG and rolling on random tables for basically everything it has some wild changes to mechanics, like spell casting for example everything is basically wild magic, you d100 when you learn the spell to see what kind of crazy extra crap positive or negative effects your magic missile has for instance and every time you cast it you roll a d20 up to a d32 at higher levels to see what kinda damage and effects it has

so basically no two casters are the same and there's no telling wtf they're about to cast and even if they cast a base spell name you would recognize it has random tables for spell appearance also so it will look unique.

and Spell Burn
Quote:
spell burn is a way to increase the chance of successfully casting a spell. Spell burn allows a wizard to sacrifice some of their own ability scores (Strength, Agility, Stamina, Personality, Intelligence, and Luck) to add to their spell check. The amount of ability score points burned is added to the wizard’s spell check.
so i can sacrifice like 10 points of luck to get a +10 on a cast to try to get way up table list of effects. like more projectiles or whatever is written for a 32 versus a 10 or lower on the chart

Halfings are like Bards with "luck" also they regen Luck quickly and can give it out to other party members like inspiration and advantage mechanic from DnD

Last edited by Ekco; 04-22-2023 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-22-2023, 07:15 PM
Sarnak

Ok so this rule is: when a PC learns a spell, the roll for a random +/- and that roll is then tagged to that spell for that character for the campaign?
Old 04-22-2023, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by goblinmob [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok so this rule is: when a PC learns a spell, the roll for a random +/- and that roll is then tagged to that spell for that character for the campaign?
yeah Mercurial Magic

"the effect of a magical spell varies according to who casts it. A magic rite invoked by one mage may be more powerful - or even different - than the same ritual exercised by a peer. These variations are not predictable as the subtleties that produce them can never be fully catalogued.

the mercurial nature of magic is reflected in game terms. When a wizard learns a new spell, he rolls on table 5-2 to determine how that spell manifests in his hands. this percentile roll is adjusted by his luck modifier x 10% the player rolls on table 5-2 for every spell he learns, and the effects are specific to that spell."

100 different effects

#11 for example, Planar Rift. casting this spell tears jagged hole in the warp and weft of the multiverse. there is a CUMULATIVE 1% chance that a horror from the outer dark steps through the rift. then you roll a d3 to see if it just fizzles the spell, attacks you or strikes a bargin with the caster offering forbidden knowledge (DM's choice)

some of them are pretty crazy effects lol

also if a wizard rolls a 1 while casting a spell there is an entire other table called Corruption he rolls on to see how the crit fail goes lol
Last edited by Ekco; 04-22-2023 at 07:34 PM..
Old 04-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Sarnak

That's a pretty cool mechanic for a wizard class
Old 04-22-2023, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
That's a pretty cool mechanic for a wizard class
also you don't have spell slots like normal DnD as long as you succeed your roll you use the spell and keep it, if you fail the DC check it's gone till a long rest

so basically spell slots with a 50ish % chance to keep them depending on your spell modifier or luck bonus i forget
Old 04-22-2023, 07:55 PM
Planar Protector

Spell Duel is another crazy mechanic they have to try to capture the epic wizard fights from books and movies, it has the downside of basically stopping the rest of the game while a separate combat takes place basically cause the second 1 wizard starts to cast a spell the PC or NPC wizard can initiate Spell Duel and they resolve that mini combat before any other PC gets their turn lol

"when I first saw spell duels I was like "this looks awful, this will jsut take away from the other players" then after running a lot of games I realised that when done well spell duels are something all the other players look forwards to, they get like "OH SPELL DUELLLLLLLL!" like highschool kids chanting a streetfight"

Old 04-23-2023, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

You have been invited to join a game of Dungeon Crawl Classics, a fantasy tabletop role-playing game where you create your own character and embark on adventures with other players. You are curious about this game and want to experience the thrill of old-school gaming. You decide to accept the invitation and create your character. In Dungeon Crawl Classics, you start as a level 0 peasant with minimal equipment and skills. You can choose from different occupations, such as blacksmith, farmer, hunter, or minstrel. Each occupation gives you a random weapon, trade good, and skill. You also need to roll dice to determine your character's ability scores, hit points, luck, and birth augur (a special bonus or penalty based on your astrological sign). To create your character, you can use the official rules of Dungeon Crawl Classics (available at goodman-games.com) or use a digital toolset like Purple Sorcerer Games (available at purplesorcerer.com). You can also ask the Judge, the person who runs the game and tells the story, for help or guidance. The Judge will also tell you what setting and adventure you will be playing in. Once you have created your character, you are ready to join the game. The Judge will describe the world and the situation your character is in, and you will decide what your character does or says in response. You will also interact with other players' characters, who may be your allies or enemies. Sometimes, you will need to roll dice to determine the outcome of your actions or events in the game. The Judge will tell you when and how to roll dice. The goal of Dungeon Crawl Classics is not to win or lose, but to have fun and create a memorable story with your friends. You can use your imagination and creativity to make your character come alive and influence the game world. You can also learn new words and expressions as you play the game and communicate with other players. Are you ready to play Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Quote:
Yes, I am ready to play Dungeon Crawl Classics. It sounds like a fun and exciting game. I have created my character using Purple Sorcerer Games. Here is my character sheet:

Name: Bing Occupation: Scribe Weapon: Dagger (1d4 damage) Trade good: Parchment and quill Skill: +1 to decipher languages Strength: 9 (-1 modifier) Agility: 12 (0 modifier) Stamina: 10 (0 modifier) Personality: 13 (+1 modifier) Intelligence: 15 (+1 modifier) Luck: 11 (0 modifier) Birth augur: Harsh winter (all attack rolls -1) Hit points: 3 Alignment: Neutral

I hope this character is suitable for the game. What is the setting and adventure we will be playing in?
let's level Bing up to level 1 to make it more fair

Quote:
Okay, let’s level up Bing to level 1. According to the rules of Dungeon Crawl Classics, I need to choose a class for my character. A class is a profession or role that defines what my character can do in the game. There are four basic classes: warrior, wizard, cleric, and thief. Each class has different abilities and skills.

I think I will choose the wizard class for Bing. A wizard is a spellcaster who can manipulate reality with arcane power. A wizard can learn and cast spells from a spellbook, but each spell has a chance of failure or unexpected effects. A wizard also has a patron, a powerful entity who grants them power and favors in exchange for service and loyalty.

To level up Bing to level 1 as a wizard, I need to roll dice to increase his hit points, choose a patron, and roll for his spells. Here are the results:

Hit points: 3 + 1d4 = 5 Patron: The King of Elfland (a mysterious and whimsical lord of the fey realm) Spells: 1d4 + Intelligence modifier = 3 spells Spellbook: Magic missile (a bolt of force that strikes a target), Charm person (a spell that makes a person friendly and obedient), and Sleep (a spell that puts creatures to sleep)

Here is my updated character sheet:

Name: Bing Class: Wizard Level: 1 Occupation: Scribe Weapon: Dagger (1d4 damage) Trade good: Parchment and quill Skill: +1 to decipher languages Strength: 9 (-1 modifier) Agility: 12 (0 modifier) Stamina: 10 (0 modifier) Personality: 13 (+1 modifier) Intelligence: 15 (+1 modifier) Luck: 11 (0 modifier) Birth augur: Harsh winter (all attack rolls -1) Hit points: 5 Alignment: Neutral Patron: The King of Elfland Spells: Magic missile, Charm person, Sleep

I hope this character is more fair for the game. What do you think?
did you roll on the mercurial magic table for your 3 spells?

Quote:
Yes, I did roll on the mercurial magic table for my 3 spells. The mercurial magic table is a list of random effects that modify how each spell works for each wizard. These effects can be beneficial, harmful, or just weird. They reflect the unpredictable nature of magic in Dungeon Crawl Classics.

Here are the results of my mercurial magic rolls:

Magic missile: 96 - Spell check +1d. (This means I add an extra die to my spell check when I cast this spell, which makes it more likely to succeed or have a stronger effect.)

Charm person: 19 - Spell check -1. (This means I subtract one from my spell check when I cast this spell, which makes it less likely to succeed or have a weaker effect.)

Sleep: 67 - Spell requires a material component. (This means I need a specific item to cast this spell, such as a pinch of sand or a feather. If I don’t have the item, I can’t cast the spell.)

These are the mercurial magic effects for my spells. They make my spells more unique and interesting, but also more risky and challenging. Do you have any questions about them?
Bing the lvl 1 wizard lol.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:18 PM
Sarnak

dat ecko, man..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230423-151718.jpg (22.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-23-2023, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

i literally don't need any other games now, just dorf fort + chatgpt integration somehow and ttrpgs.

i was testing combat in the simple goblin cave dungeon for the big bad goblin Chieftan fight they made their sneak rolls and got a surprise round of combat. for the "Bing" character a level 0 Scribe without any spells it decided to use its quill and parchment to write "we're going to kill you" and throw the note at the Chieftan for its turn to avoid getting into melee range. since he didn't start with a range weapon

Bing is a fuckin savage gamer.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i
i was testing combat in the simple goblin cave dungeon for the big bad goblin Chieftan fight they made their sneak rolls and got a surprise round of combat. for the "Bing" character a level 0 Scribe without any spells it decided to use its quill and parchment to write "we're going to kill you" and throw the note at the Chieftan for its turn to avoid getting into melee range. since he didn't start with a range weapon.
Lol, did it do damage?