Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 01-24-2023, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Click is improved chance to self break root.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 01-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Kobold

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Click is improved chance to self break root.
+1
Old 01-24-2023, 11:44 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its just a like 12 point dd, theres no aggro to it, barely any dmg to it. you are better off casting one of your debuffs in that timeframe then 12 point DD. the range is too shit to work as a pull since its like basically melee range. hope that helps.
Indeed, but sometimes I'm out of mana, or desperate to conserve the mana I have. This isn't a "instead of spellcasting" thing, it's a "instead of autoattacking only" thing.

After testing, my weapon seems to work freakishly perfectly with the dd. Always casting and 0 loss of time between swings. It's uncanny really, if I time it perfectly the melee button won't even tick gray.

And I insist that 12 points of damage every 3 seconds is nothing to scoff at. It absolutely adds up, especially if you're solo, and especially since it feels like it lands almost every time (I'm sure it depends on the mob). It's like an item that turns my misses into hits for 12.

To contextualize that a bit better, I just went in game and killed a spectral guardian as a level 40 sk. It took me 1 minute 10 seconds. I opened with a bow shot, dropped 3 dots on it, then spammed the cuffs with my melee for the rest of the match. I got 13 casts off. That adds up to 156 damage. If that fight represented futures fights that's like getting a free Harm Touch a little under every 3 and a half or so fights depending on rng.

It's nothing crazy, and it's going to get less impressive as I level... it's like a 10% increase of a damage output that wasn't that impressive in the first place in exchange for carpal tunnel... But think of it this way... 10% extra dps is the difference between a 400 platinum haste item (Silver Chitin Hand Wraps) and a 20 thousand platinum haste item (Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt). (Minus stats of course)

It may not be much to you, but like I said, I don't raid. Period. So I have to work with what I can get. And arduous as it was to get this, I succeeded. This is my version of being a minmaxy power user. How could I turn down free damage?

I'm sure I'll outgrow this thing as I enter my 50s and get a better weapon, but for now, I absolutely love it. It's perfect.

Looks DAZZLING too. Goes AMAZING with my Guardian Armor.
Last edited by stealthbeast; 01-25-2023 at 12:01 AM..
Old 01-25-2023, 12:17 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbeast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Indeed, but sometimes I'm out of mana, or desperate to conserve the mana I have. This isn't a "instead of spellcasting" thing, it's a "instead of autoattacking only" thing.

After testing, my weapon seems to work freakishly perfectly with the dd. Always casting and 0 loss of time between swings. It's uncanny really, if I time it perfectly the melee button won't even tick gray.

And I insist that 12 points of damage every 3 seconds is nothing to scoff at. It absolutely adds up, especially if you're solo, and especially since it feels like it lands almost every time (I'm sure it depends on the mob). It's like an item that turns my misses into hits for 12.

To contextualize that a bit better, I just went in game and killed a spectral guardian as a level 40 sk. It took me 1 minute 10 seconds. I opened with a bow shot, dropped 3 dots on it, then spammed the cuffs with my melee for the rest of the match. I got 13 casts off. That adds up to 156 damage. If that fight represented futures fights that's like getting a free Harm Touch a little under every 3 and a half or so fights depending on rng.

It's nothing crazy, and it's going to get less impressive as I level... it's like a 10% increase of a damage output that wasn't that impressive in the first place in exchange for carpal tunnel... But think of it this way... 10% extra dps is the difference between a 400 platinum haste item (Silver Chitin Hand Wraps) and a 20 thousand platinum haste item (Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt). (Minus stats of course)

It may not be much to you, but like I said, I don't raid. Period. So I have to work with what I can get. And arduous as it was to get this, I succeeded. This is my version of being a minmaxy power user. How could I turn down free damage?

I'm sure I'll outgrow this thing as I enter my 50s and get a better weapon, but for now, I absolutely love it. It's perfect.

Looks DAZZLING too. Goes AMAZING with my Guardian Armor.
Comsider joining any of the 30000 draft guilds, grab ya a rotting tov weapon and sky belt.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:17 AM
Fire Giant

There is 0 chance that bracer is worth it, but if you're having fun go for it.

For actual items, don't forget to pick up some Blood Ember—Gloves, Arms, Boots and Legs(pricey) are great mana savers at 46. Even the hat might be useful for you as well if you don't have an infravision item.

I definitely agree about joining a guild and doing Sky when you're higher.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:32 AM
Planar Protector

Blood ember pants I’ve found helpful. The old fall down pants! I think I have most the set except boots and all of it gets use. I’d use the boots too if I had them!

Sky raid vibes are very different to normal raid vibes, so even if you don’t really get along with normal guild stuff may be worth enduring a guild for a while to do some of that. Perhaps

I was lucky but I found the pegasus haste belt pretty easy to acquire.

When you’re not doing the sky raid stuff you can always put guild chat in a separate window and minimalise it while doing your own thing.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 01-25-2023, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Hah! Original poster says he has no intention of raiding. Some people don't like or have interest in that mode of gameplay. I've been max level on my shadowknight for more than ten years without a single North Temple Veeshan item on it and i've done plenty of stuff, more than most. That type of equipment just isn't necessary.

------------------------------------------------

The Velium Shards click will, as you expect, eventually fade into irrelevance as you level and eventually won't be worth bothering with since it doesn't scale. Enjoy it for the time being, stop using it once it gets pointless. Click or no click, that bracer will last you probably until you camp Velketor's for the Silver Chitin Wristbands. That particular camp will be well within your trio's capability by about the middle 50's if not sooner.

Those 22% haste gloves and something like a 30/40 weapon is good enough to get to level 60 with, especially since you said you're frequently in a trio. For example, I used an 18/26 Noctivagant Blade for years at 60, and got to 60 with worse haste than that, because Velious wasn't out yet. I lived. If you can do better than that, great, but the type of stuff listed will get the job done if it has to. Some of the affordable-ish Velious weapons with a near to 1:1 ratio like Argent Protector, Carved Dragonbone Spear, etc should be on your radar. Longer term something like a Narandi Lance might be within reach. Get the best haste you can budget for, knowing the gloves will get the job done if they have to.

High-end droppables like Crown of Narandi might seem out of reach--and may be if you're a P99 "tourist" who'll quit before or shortly after reaching maximum level--but are obtainable with enough time and saving if you play over a longer period. Put them on the back burner, but don't forget them entirely. If you stick with the game awhile, you'll find platinum eventually adds up over time.

Danth
Old 01-25-2023, 10:05 AM
Planar Protector

his trio is sk / cleric / rogue

should be gunning for narandi crown first and foremost

and yikes i feel bad for that cleric...thats a tough assignment...not the worst trio ever but no slow or mana regeneration at all

edit: actually...the trio should collectively save for cleric epic, then rogue epic, then narandi crown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Toxigen; 01-25-2023 at 10:07 AM..
Old 01-25-2023, 01:02 PM
Planar Protector

I think a few pieces of blood ember would be handy. Along with a Circlet of Shadows (invis at 20 instead of 30!). Past that just get cheap haste (SCHW’s are too good to pass up) and a decent weapon. 2h ideally past level 30.

I have a Narandi crown. It’s decent and will help keep aggro mana up as you grind. The functional effect though is 20 mana a minute, it’s a free clinging darkness a minute.

I’d get the rogue a Locustlure as well. At max level it’s 35% which is certainly noticeable. I expect around the time it proc that is about 30% and stuff hits quite a bit harder when grinding level 50+. It won’t proc all the time or early but over the course or a grind it’s about average mana use.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
his trio is sk / cleric / rogue

should be gunning for narandi crown first and foremost

and yikes i feel bad for that cleric...thats a tough assignment...not the worst trio ever but no slow or mana regeneration at all

edit: actually...the trio should collectively save for cleric epic, then rogue epic, then narandi crown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rogue can slow if needed. But ch is OP so not really needed for most trio content. I’d prioritize crown first which the knight will need to keep aggro off rogue esp since aggro nerf.