Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 12-14-2022, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

Meh. A mage will never be a deep dungeon diver like a necro but vocarate earth procs and instant root and is good enough for breaking like a generic 2 or 3 mob camp in a dungeon. Have done it multiple times.

Not the least stressful thing to do lol but it can be done
Old 12-14-2022, 07:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you guys say is the % power level or speed of plowing through under leveled mobs difference between the Mage and Necro pets?

I don't have much interest in doing any raiding in this game, or fighting other players over those big ticket item camps. I mostly like to just run around the world and slaughter things I see. I much prefer to make money by doing coin or vendor loot camps. Things like guards, giants, camps/dungeons where mobs drop items that sell for a few plat each etc. rather than sitting still at one camp for hours on end hoping to get the item that I want to drop. I mean, I've done it before, however when you're killing the same thing for 4+ hours then have to log off and have nothing to show for it; you're just left with a defeated or wasted time feeling, so I try to avoid those types of camps.

So when considering that, it almost sounds like Mage might actually be the better choice for me. However, if there is only like a 10% difference in power / killing speed between the Mage and Necro pets, then that is pretty negligible when you consider killing mobs 10 or so levels under you. Like if it takes a lvl 50 Mages pet 8-9 seconds to kill a green a mob, but the Necro pet does it in 10 seconds. That 1-2 seconds isn't really going to matter that much to me, or might not even be noticeable. Which in that case, Necro may actually be the better choice for me after all, even if I am mostly just plowing through green mobs anyway, for the simple fact of having the mana regen and FD ability.

So I guess the real question I am wondering now is, what is the actual power level / speed of killing difference between the 2 casters pets? I think it's obvious now that Mage pets are objectively stronger than Necro pets. However, what kind of real world in-game difference does that make in fights?

Will a Water pet with a Mage dmg shield on it chew through green mobs twice as fast as Necro pets?
Will a Necro pet die twice as fast and have to be resummoned twice as often?
I mean it’s not really a relevant comparison. As a solo player you will need to make sure you do over 50% of the damage to the mob to get full exp. So the pet isn’t that relevant. The real relevant question is how fast and how mana efficient can you do the necessary damage. Mage will always damage faster than necro due to your nukes (vs necros dotting unless you’re fighting undead), but necro mana efficiency with the later iterations of the Lich line (especially as an Iksar) cannot be matched in this comparison.

If you still want to compare pets, mage will have higher hp and damage output (I think always?) over a necro pet. Plus the fire pet has a damage shield that will not count as damage done by the pet.

That being said, I’m my experience I can level a mage faster (not including time it takes to get pet focus items once mob damage picks up) through the first like 35 or so levels than I do on a necro (send pet, nuke like twice, med the rest of the fight while pet damage (and ds if fire pet) burns down the mob). Mobs will dies faster as opposed to necro fear kiting and waiting for dots plus minimal pet damage to kill the mob. But once the necro Lich line becomes more powerful necros are basically self mana batteries so they will level much faster.
Old 12-14-2022, 08:13 PM
Banned

NGL, The Great OoWomp was the chillest 32-39 fear kite XP i ever had, too bad
Kunark era isn't launched simultaneously
Old 12-14-2022, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

The problem is npcs scale much more aggressively than even the best pets. So killing xp mobs with mage pets isnt easy. For example a lvl 44 npc has like 4,500 hps, almost twice the mage. Without nukes that npc will kill the pet, although it would also kill the necro pet without help.

Keep in mind mage and necro gameplay is VERY different. When you have less to do you can focus on just a few things (mage). When you have more capacity you tend to push yourself harder (necro). I leveled a mage to be an underdog...so I could drink beer and farm droga when I am bored [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] .

Necros have a better spellbook by BY FAR. Hell...they get root, mez, undead charm. The list goes on so I won't belabor the point.
Mages have better pets BY FAR. You can get velious pants and do Burnout3 for free; you can get a Velious robe and click a 25pt damage shield for free. You get Muzzle of Mardu for an extra 11% haste.

Both can sustain decent dps with free clickies, the mage gets a 333dd nuke on a 13.5 sec click (burnt wood staff). That same level of clicky-boom comes for a necro from Velketor the Sorcerer; I cannot recall another one off the top of my head outside VP.
Burst damage wise the mage can exceed the necro; the necro can far outlast with far higher efficiency (Splurt is like 8dpm but most xp grind fights dont last like 2 minutes).

Lastly the GOAT of necro pets is EoT; a warrior class pet. It does not quad, it bashes and has a lifetap DD. It has a ton of hps and cannot be feared. The focus book is tough to get and rare out of PoHate. Summoning it takes bone chips and a peridot so its less likely you will keep reycling for a "better" pet over a couple malachite.

The GOAT of non-epic dps pets is the water one. It quads, backstabs for about 180 max and has a 120'ish cold DD. You have to cast Valiant Companion to get fear immunity. The focus item drops off Phingal in Kedge which is a trivial 3-4 person kill. You can summon a 11% haste Muzzle for the pet too. It does about 10% more dps than an epic pet on red cons like Vindi. It does WAY more than EoT. Even the Earth pet will do more dps than EoT if you want a bit more tanky of a pet plus root which takes the heat out of some fights.

The last Miragul I did I got a max water mage pet, gave it deadwoods and a Muzzle. It parsed 65dps and beat out a 60 monk with an IFS and a 60 ranger with a Cekenar 2hs. EoT did 42dps (prob a little more with the tap proc that wasnt displayed on my parser).

It's a completely different path. I like the mage more but mostly because people crap on it. But pressuring monks on silly fights is kind of fun.

One last note (sorry), a mage can make a bunch of 10 slot giant 100% weight reducing bags on command. They will poof if you forget to sell stuff and just log out for more than like 20 minutes. DO NOT put anything of value in them. What you can do is just drop them to another character like your lvl 14 druid. Port to WC, sell, gate back. If you collect rubbish like fine steel the necro will need tinker bags and likely wont be just dropping them in a corner to another char. For that reason if you like killing in like Droga I like a mage a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
s a solo player you will need to make sure you do over 50% of the damage to the mob to get full exp.
Once you get Scars of Sigil it's often better to recycle pets. Summon and buff. Pull with a big nuke. Kill pet at like 5% and clean up with a single Sigil nuke. If you are just camping a single quick respawn it probably doesnt matter but just a note on the two different ways to "do over 50%".
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-14-2022 at 09:23 PM..
Old 12-14-2022, 10:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What would you guys say is the % power level or speed of plowing through under leveled mobs difference between the Mage and Necro pets?

I don't have much interest in doing any raiding in this game, or fighting other players over those big ticket item camps. I mostly like to just run around the world and slaughter things I see. I much prefer to make money by doing coin or vendor loot camps. Things like guards, giants, camps/dungeons where mobs drop items that sell for a few plat each etc. rather than sitting still at one camp for hours on end hoping to get the item that I want to drop. I mean, I've done it before, however when you're killing the same thing for 4+ hours then have to log off and have nothing to show for it; you're just left with a defeated or wasted time feeling, so I try to avoid those types of camps.

So when considering that, it almost sounds like Mage might actually be the better choice for me. However, if there is only like a 10% difference in power / killing speed between the Mage and Necro pets, then that is pretty negligible when you consider killing mobs 10 or so levels under you. Like if it takes a lvl 50 Mages pet 8-9 seconds to kill a green a mob, but the Necro pet does it in 10 seconds. That 1-2 seconds isn't really going to matter that much to me, or might not even be noticeable. Which in that case, Necro may actually be the better choice for me after all, even if I am mostly just plowing through green mobs anyway, for the simple fact of having the mana regen and FD ability.

So I guess the real question I am wondering now is, what is the actual power level / speed of killing difference between the 2 casters pets? I think it's obvious now that Mage pets are objectively stronger than Necro pets. However, what kind of real world in-game difference does that make in fights?

Will a Water pet with a Mage dmg shield on it chew through green mobs twice as fast as Necro pets?

Mage is noticeably faster in all cases where the mob is almost green upto lvl 40 for sure.
Quote:
Air or fire is generally better in these cases. Air stun is super underrated. Especially when it lands every time.

Yes
Last edited by magnetaress; 12-14-2022 at 10:07 PM..
Old 12-14-2022, 10:12 PM
Fire Giant

Mage levels very fast up to 55 or so if they know their doing. Once you start doing the one pet per mob method in high 30s, you start killing for very low mana cost. Very fast and effective,but dies off a bit at 55+ when the good mage spots slow down a bit.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:28 PM
Planar Protector

Think they nerfed the chain summoning thing. Unless you’re saying single spawn let the pet get it down to like 20% and die?
Old 12-14-2022, 10:30 PM
Fire Giant

Let pet get mob to within 5%, reclaim and nuke to kill for full xp.
The only mana spent is on pet summoning, burnout, damage shield and one nuke. You also get to med the entire fight.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let pet get mob to within 5%, reclaim and nuke to kill for full xp.
The only mana spent is on pet summoning, burnout, damage shield and one nuke. You also get to med the entire fight.
So you summon a pet, buff with burnout and damage shield, then send it to attack 1 mob. When the mob is under 5-10%, reclaim the pet and nuke the mob dead?

Is that really the way most solo Mages level 30+?
Whats the pets HP at usually when an equal level mob gets to that 5-10% range?
Old 12-15-2022, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
So you summon a pet, buff with burnout and damage shield, then send it to attack 1 mob. When the mob is under 5-10%, reclaim the pet and nuke the mob dead?

Is that really the way most solo Mages level 30+?
Whats the pets HP at usually when an equal level mob gets to that 5-10% range?
Protip for something easier. Find a duo partner (healer or pet class) and not worry about having the pet take 50% of the XP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]