Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 12-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

mages job is to coh me and stfu
Old 12-13-2022, 10:11 PM
Planar Protector

Mage pets have the dps edge but necros have better utility/control which is what you need if you're dungeon crawling alone.
Old 12-14-2022, 12:54 PM
Planar Protector

IMHO, it all comes down to root. As a mage, I don't need FD, or fear, or a million DoTs (we actually do get one), or pretty much any of the rest of the Necro toolkit.

But the lack of root is a huge deal breaker. Our pet is already more powerful than the necro pet, but it could be even more powerful and it still wouldn't matter: as a mage you'll still only be able to fight in like 10% of the places a Necro can fight. Without root, you can only fight in places where there are a series of single mobs ... and if you do get an add, or anything else goes wrong, your only option is to gate (or die).

(And yes, I know the earth pet gets root, but it lasts only for seconds and can't really be used as a solution in most cases.)

The mage pet is clearly, significantly, unquestionably more powerful than the Necro pet ... but (again, speaking as a Mage player) it's a class stuck in an extremely narrow lane.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:21 PM
Banned

summon me to the raid mob thanks
(lol)
Old 12-14-2022, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chortles Snortles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
summon me to the raid mob thanks
(lol)
Np, once your there enjoy sending mana to clerics over and over.
Old 12-14-2022, 01:53 PM
Aviak

imagine being such a fucking loser that your identity is wrapped so heavily into a 20 year old emulated game.
Old 12-14-2022, 02:36 PM
Sarnak

If you want to basically afk by having your pet carry you, Mage. There’s no comparison in any era. Mage pets stomp necro pets. It’s laughable.

But that’s because pets are the point of mages. Pets are not the point of necros.

Necros get a weak or limited (self or undead-only) version of every single spell effect in the game (except slow & run speed). And as a necro, you’re meant to use all of them. So you do!

And thus a naked necro can solo places that a raid geared mage five levels higher would die in.
Old 12-14-2022, 03:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
imagine being such a fucking loser that your identity is wrapped so heavily into a 20 year old emulated game.

Couldn't imagine that. Try quitting a few weeks. I know my wife got off suboxine that way.
Old 12-14-2022, 06:31 PM
Banned

As for skele vs mage pet skele lifetaps r no joke.

Again mage style points tho.

If being powerful is all care about go necro.

If u enjoy a challenge and more straight forward strategy and ease of play or synergy with groups go mage.

Mages excell at one thing. Plowing through mobs a few levels under their pets with ease.

That is basically all of vanilla and half of kunark.
Old 12-14-2022, 07:42 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IMHO, it all comes down to root. As a mage, I don't need FD, or fear, or a million DoTs (we actually do get one), or pretty much any of the rest of the Necro toolkit.

But the lack of root is a huge deal breaker. Our pet is already more powerful than the necro pet, but it could be even more powerful and it still wouldn't matter: as a mage you'll still only be able to fight in like 10% of the places a Necro can fight. Without root, you can only fight in places where there are a series of single mobs ... and if you do get an add, or anything else goes wrong, your only option is to gate (or die).

(And yes, I know the earth pet gets root, but it lasts only for seconds and can't really be used as a solution in most cases.)

The mage pet is clearly, significantly, unquestionably more powerful than the Necro pet ... but (again, speaking as a Mage player) it's a class stuck in an extremely narrow lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for skele vs mage pet skele lifetaps r no joke.

Again mage style points tho.

If being powerful is all care about go necro.

If u enjoy a challenge and more straight forward strategy and ease of play or synergy with groups go mage.

Mages excell at one thing. Plowing through mobs a few levels under their pets with ease.

That is basically all of vanilla and half of kunark.

What would you guys say is the % power level or speed of plowing through under leveled mobs difference between the Mage and Necro pets?

I don't have much interest in doing any raiding in this game, or fighting other players over those big ticket item camps. I mostly like to just run around the world and slaughter things I see. I much prefer to make money by doing coin or vendor loot camps. Things like guards, giants, camps/dungeons where mobs drop items that sell for a few plat each etc. rather than sitting still at one camp for hours on end hoping to get the item that I want to drop. I mean, I've done it before, however when you're killing the same thing for 4+ hours then have to log off and have nothing to show for it; you're just left with a defeated or wasted time feeling, so I try to avoid those types of camps.

So when considering that, it almost sounds like Mage might actually be the better choice for me. However, if there is only like a 10% difference in power / killing speed between the Mage and Necro pets, then that is pretty negligible when you consider killing mobs 10 or so levels under you. Like if it takes a lvl 50 Mages pet 8-9 seconds to kill a green a mob, but the Necro pet does it in 10 seconds. That 1-2 seconds isn't really going to matter that much to me, or might not even be noticeable. Which in that case, Necro may actually be the better choice for me after all, even if I am mostly just plowing through green mobs anyway, for the simple fact of having the mana regen and FD ability.

So I guess the real question I am wondering now is, what is the actual power level / speed of killing difference between the 2 casters pets? I think it's obvious now that Mage pets are objectively stronger than Necro pets. However, what kind of real world in-game difference does that make in fights?

Will a Water pet with a Mage dmg shield on it chew through green mobs twice as fast as Necro pets?
Will a Necro pet die twice as fast and have to be resummoned twice as often?