Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doors [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and dumbass tags.
I thought they were pretty hilarious...

SOME PEOPLE CARE - NO ONE CARES - EVERYONE CARES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

I would just add that there are a lot of idle pvp guilds out there that have stayed away from past EMU servers because of the known issues that usually accompany this type of server(Exploits, GM favoritism, server instability, etc). The user base would include a lot more than the user's that are most vocal on these forums. When the Red P1999 PVP discussion forum was created it caused a stir on all of the pvp forums I frequent. This is actually what caused me to check this out.

EQ pvp was completely unbalanced, but its still the best pvp game that has ever been created.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Planar Protector

Sup Searyx.

I absolutely loved playing on TZ and I miss it. A lot. The added level of competition to the game. The truely random encounter addition and the break from fighting coded pixels all day. I loved competing for spawns.

But I don't think that environment can be recreated. Exploits are too common place now and no Emu server is going to have the GM man power to keep things in check. Further the griefing will proably be insane. Personally I liked a PvE game with a PvP mix for progression competitiveness. There are too many ragers out there with an epeen hardon for yellow text.

Still though if it came out I would probably roll a toon on it.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:52 AM
Sarnak

I'm with Searyx...

I'd do about anything if even just /guildwar would work. I play at P99 and at Secrets place but a real effort at a real pvp server would be fantastic, I bet we have more contributors "per capita" just to show our appreciation of an attention to detail server like P99 with pvp.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

All of the pvp "balancing" has been done on VZ/TZ 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, and Secrets Box. Not to mention, EQ PvP isnt balanced. WoW gave you that idea. So yeah, you just take P99 from day 1 with bug fixes, turn on FFA pvp, and your done~

And if you think it will need as much GM supervision as P99, your a fucking moron. P99 has non stop petitions about "Guy stole my camp", "Guy pulled my mobs", "We are poopsocking harder".... etc.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Fire Giant

It's true EQ PvP wasn't and will never be balanced. Some classes went out and PvP'd on their own while others just couldn't.

I didn't join a pvp server for "OMG WTF PWNAGE BRAH!" I loved pvp because if someone is camping the mob you want, go kill him and take what you want. If you can't take it, sucks to be you.

1500 corpses at the ent of Plane of Innovation /win
Old 07-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Sarnak

What everyone forgets and what Blizzard backed off on was the idea that WoW pvp is "supposed to be balanced"... during Beta the announcements were everywhere that Pvp wasn't intended to be balanced and that Yes, at the time, Paladins were SUPPOSED to whoop your ass. Then that attitude died somewhere internally, then externally, likely due to screaming boys who demanded it - millions of them.

Anyway, is there a more dead horse than "balanced pvp"?

Just want my effing pvp in Classic EQ.. not that I was any GOOD at it, I just want it for the fun factor. Could give 2 brown eyed corn trouts if it was "balanced"...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

the pvp server would attract a LOT of ppl. ppl who want some real eq pvp, as well as ppl who have played p1999 and got burned out and are looking for a new challenge.

many ppl would donate. i dont understand why Rogean would not want this. only reason is maybe he doesnt want non-trusted ppl to have the code. but can't there be a creative solution to this problem? like.. only give pieces of the code to be worked on? (like, just give the pvp pertinent parts?)

also kindof off topic, but in terms of hack prevention, someone had posted a pretty good way to prevent them in another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyuno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
When I was working on putting a classic PvP server up, I actually wrote my own patcher that connected to my server, did a binary bitwise comparison on the files in the EQ directory and compared them to versions I kept on the server to make sure they were the same, the was used to launch EQ after the check was done. After launching EQ it stayed resident in memory and monitored the EQ memory space.

Neither MQ nor MySeq is passive, the only truly passive cheating program out there was ShowEQ when it was run correctly under linux, with a true hub.

It was relativly easy to detect things like hooks into EQ's addressing, packet injection, memory space injection, that type of thing. It authenticated with a web server I had up, and remained connected for the duration of the gameplay session. If at any time it disconnected, I terminated the connection to the EQ session.

Then I got into project 99, and the VZTZ servers, and kind of put the whole project down, cause it was a lot of friggin work for what was probably going to be a no-population server.
anyway. we need red99! you would make thousands of dollars in donations too
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
also kindof off topic, but in terms of hack prevention, someone had posted a pretty good way to prevent them in another thread:
Actually, if I remember correctly there was a discussion about red pvp and hacking when Rogean came in and said he could basically make it as close to unhackable as possible. This was a few months ago though.

Rogean we know you're busy and you devote your personal free time to doing this, and we very much appreciate every second you have put into the code let alone babysitting when needed. Is it possible to get any word on this though?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearyxTZ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I keep hearing how this may or may not be happening, and that Null/Secrets are trying to communicate with Rogean as if it's like getting a private audience with Obama.

I am playing on Secrets' VZTZ atm, which is currently the only option available to those of us who like our classic Everquest served with a side of PvP.

I haven't played on P1999 (though I would consider it if the /guildwar function is implemented), but my understanding is that: it has easily the best code/database/etc, faithfully reproduces classic EQ, and makes the publically-available stock EQEmu source look like a pile of shit.

We already have developers who seem more than willing to help out with whatever is involved in converting that to a red server (Null, Secrets, Vile). We have a GM ready to go who is highly regarded by nearly everyone who ever played on VZTZ (Sirken).

In other words: the pieces are all there, waiting for you guys to put them together and give the former Zek players a permanent home.

The server population of a red P1999 server would never touch the blue P1999 of course, but there are more than enough players to support it.

My initial VZTZ thread on the old Tallon Zek messageboard (which is still active)
http://tallonzektimes.org/bb/index.php?topic=25975.0
had over 20,000 views. There is plenty of interest in a server like this, especially one free of bugs and of the highest quality.

If none of this appeals to the current P1999 staff/devs, I'll make this final pitch: money. It can buy happiness - contrary to what you may have heard. If this server ever sees light of day, I'll gladly donate several hundred to your paypal account. And I'm sure others would too.
Wow, when are you idiots going to learn? You see all these threads crying 'waaaaaaah we want a red server waaaaaah'? They aren't helping anything. Just shut the fuck up and wait. If you jackasses could go a week...one single set of 7 days...you might see something. I don't think you idiots can go a week without crying 'we want a red server waaaah'.

Challenge presented.