Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Ihealyou

If your uncle isn't a fire captain, college is a great place to "know" people. Networking is probably the biggest advantage of a more expensive private school over a state school.

Uuur - Your favorite Master +1 cleric <LifeAlert>
Rockwell - Your favorite 30 virgin <Aspen and Rockwell>
Old 11-10-2010, 01:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not upper crust. More like enslaved by debt if i flunk out.
Don't have to flunk out... I have a good job as a SQL/Access Developer and my wife is a doctor and we are enslaved by debt. Just the way it is.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihealyou [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your uncle isn't a fire captain, college is a great place to "know" people. Networking is probably the biggest advantage of a more expensive private school over a state school.
Lots of colleges also have excellent career centers. Some companies do their entry level hiring solely through college recruitment.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Take my advice, college is very overrated. In life, it is all about "who you know".

I recently got a firefighters position where I know that I wasn't the most qualified. So how did I get in? My uncle is a captain at the station.
Maybe Nepotism is okay where you live, but I know plenty of people fired by their family or friends because they didn't do the job right, or people not offered jobs despite deep connections because someone else was more qualified.

The whole "it's about who you know" thing is overrated. Most of the time it's really only a way to get your shoe in the door for an interview because whoever referred you is trustworthy, and it might push you over the tipping point to getting the job, but it's definitely not a majority of the reason.

It's also really dangerous because referring bad people craps up your reputation as well. I do not refer or recommend people unless I know them extremely well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbledorf View Post
I'll look into getting it changed to The Secret Order of the Silver Rose of Truth and Dragons.
Closed Thread