Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM
Sarnak

Default Advice on FD macro

As a Monk, I have heard talk of needing a macro to cancel your autoattack right before you FD. I've been doing this for a few days now, and I see no difference over just using the FD skill directly. Is such a macro really necessary?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

When I just used regular FD, I had situations where I'd be fighting a melee mob, FD successfully, and the mob would keep attacking me. After I created a macro with just two lines (first turn off auto-attack and then use FD), I have since never had this issue. If you don't have this issue then don't bother, but I hear it's pretty common.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Fire Giant

Any advice on a macro to practice FD and intimidation?
Old 05-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Sarnak

/attack off
/feign
/sneak
/pause 1
/sneak

Dont know if the sneak applies anymore, dont really care as it doesnt hurt or delay anything. I dont group anymore but I used to have this macro and basically a macro for simply shedding aggro where I add /stand and /attack on at the end. And I definitely notice a difference with ending attack first. For me, this absolutely and unmistakably increases successful feigns by a non trivial amount.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishyOne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As a Monk, I have heard talk of needing a macro to cancel your autoattack right before you FD. I've been doing this for a few days now, and I see no difference over just using the FD skill directly. Is such a macro really necessary?
Yes. If you leave attack on, then your FD will fail.

Make a macro:
/attack off
/doability 1 (if Feign Death is skill box "1" on your abilities hotbox)

For training up FD, make an "evade" hotkey and if you aren't tanking just hit it a few times a fight.

/attack off
/doability 1
/doability 2 (or whatever number sneak is)
/stand
/attack on
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Sarnak

Thanks guys. Estu, I've noticed that if I FD while a mob is in mid-swing, my FD will fail, even with the macro. I had always thought that melee attacks were instant, so this was not a factor. Am I wrong, or do you know of another explanation?
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFishyOne [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Estu, I've noticed that if I FD while a mob is in mid-swing, my FD will fail, even with the macro.
I've never had this happen, if by 'fail' you mean you don't get the "fallen to the ground" message but the mob keeps attacking you. If you mean you get the "fallen to the ground" message, I've noticed no connection between that and the timing of using Feign Death.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've never had this happen, if by 'fail' you mean you don't get the "fallen to the ground" message but the mob keeps attacking you.
Yeah, that's what I meant, and I just discovered the problem: In the first line of the macro, I misspelled "off" in "/attack off."

Somehow, I get the feeling I should have rolled an Ogre...=D
Old 05-27-2013, 03:02 PM
Sarnak

Back in the day, I used to have to hit the Esc key and then my FD key to first drop target or else it wouldn't make the mob necessarily stop attacking, though I want to say even then it was odd at times. But, that is basically what it looks like the above macros are doing. I hit esc to stop attacking target, their's is just straight up stop your attacking. I would probably just make a macro if I were to play Monk again, perhaps. Yes, macro probably best as hitting Esc doesn't stop auto attack. =/ But to share anecdote from past
Last edited by Frudrura; 05-27-2013 at 03:04 PM..
Closed Thread