Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Planar Protector

People hate rangers but there's no reason to. Back in the day it didn't matter what you played. Now with the world of warcraft crowd existing on this emu, as a ranger you will need to form your own groups. Once you find a raiding guild or whatever its fine.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icetech [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I was going to start a ranger today.. i did have a question though, as far as i remember when eq came out rangers were HORRIIBLE... to the point as a druid healer i wouldn't let them in my groups, they would pull huge agro.. then die instantly and get me dead[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] After awhile sony pathed up rangers and made them amazing, which flavor of ranger is in this server?
Actually, rangers were pretty badass in classic... everyone likes to forget that.

Then Kunark came out and mobs started to hit harder, we got faster weapons and warriors couldn't taunt the higher level mobs well, so we tended to draw aggro more and didn't have the damage mitigation to handle it. This led to Sony/Verant adding the Jolt spell so we could manage our aggro better.

Right now, aside from being a fun class to play because of the versatility, the main issues with rangers is that everyone knows we have the 40% hybrid XP penalty which we indirectly share with our groups. Couple that with the relatively high number of min-maxers on this server, and it becomes difficult to justify adding a ranger to the group:

- you want DPS? Get a rogue or a monk. The monk can also FD split/pull.
- you want a tank? Get a warrior/SK/pally, they're less of a mana drain on the healers and with higher HP, make CHs more efficient
- you want crowd control? Get an enchanter or a bard, they can also slow mobs and haste everyone.
- you want tracking? Get a druid, they can nuke and backup heal.

There's very little compelling reason to add a ranger to a group, unless you have a smallish group and you need that ranger to switch between roles as needed. So you end up having to work a lot harder to prove your worth to the group... chain-pulling (esp. in an outdoors dungeon/zone), rootparking, positioning mobs, ripping mobs off the casters, harmonying down to that named mob and pulling it back solo with an arrow before that pesky druid can reach it, pulling out Swarmcaller (or in some cases, soon Earthcaller) to slow a mob that's beating the shit out of your group, etc.

Rangers become a bit more useful in Velious with some unique ATK buffs and the Trueshot and Weaponshield discs, from a raiding perspective. But by then, we get Panic Animal and you can probably solo to 60 with that without relying on getting groups.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 01-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Planar Protector

Just level with friends. Pick up a rogue or monk and your groups dps will be fine. It's not as important as most dickheads make it out to be.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:19 PM
Planar Protector

Been there, done that ... unless your friends are hybrids too, they will outlevel you. Went thru several sets of grouping buddies over time that way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 01-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YendorLootmonkey [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been there, done that ... unless your friends are hybrids too, they will outlevel you. Went thru several sets of grouping buddies over time that way [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you and your friends only group with each other, there shouldn't be any way anyone outlevels anyone else because of the way the EXP penalties in groups are set up.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you and your friends only group with each other
Unfortunately, that's a big IF.

Old 01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Planar Protector

Guys, I think Yendor is a ranger.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 01-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Fire Giant

Not sure whats up with ranger epics , but my guildy couldnt get his to proc. 250 dex max haste and nothing.....we were all a bit suprisied. I remeber with epics Rangers holding agro very well....any thoughts on this? was epic a bad ratio on procs in classic? or is this some sort of bug?
Old 01-24-2012, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Proc'd several times a fight, without haste/max dex to the point I'd have to keep Jolt up and bag Earthcaller during raids. It'd be funny if they accidentally made it a clicky effect here.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:38 PM
Kobold

1st, why the hybrid hate, when Bards get the same penalty and are invited everywhere?

2nd, Anyone have any info on the archery damage caps / damage calculations? I've got my rangie wangie up to 13 and havn't hit for higher then 12 with any bow imaginable.
Closed Thread