Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-07-2023, 02:35 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ignoring magelo, I don't rely on any one item. I run 320MR on my main kiting class for fear/zlandi/vaniki/kland. On the monk somewhere around 235 I found has been adequate. I'd like more sure, but it's adequate.

As for that item, you never need to unequip a range item. Before the projectile even lands the 'real' range item is back in. You never, ever have permanant range items in range. Mouse a jav into range slot, hit range attack, mouse range item back in. It's a <1 second operation. You don't run around with a jav or shuriken equipped for 20mins waiting to throw it at something. You use wands for that.

There isn't a situation you remove the range item for a projectile for more than that time in the game of everquest, in this expension/content range. Maybe later on in the game you unequip slots for some reason, shuriken from time maybe?

And again Do vissar is about having a permanant worn spell gem 1 instaclick always up.
Grim aura or firefist are buff 1. Start fighting they get overwritten by celestial tranquility. End fighting, click grim aura/firefist back on. Not to do with stats.

Even when running around kiting you're constantly being dispelled like a vaniki pull. You want to be able to spam 4 to 5 self instant buffs on to protect a deeply buried sow. (and speaking generally here about warriors too as there's knowledge for them to share) Tanking glimmers (or sontalak) in ToV you want to use equipped/worn, non targeted insta clicks so items like AoN, 10th ring, feshlak BP, monk epic, tunare belt, lady nev cloak are valuable beyond any lacking stats they may have. There's a lot of value in having those items beyond what seems like a rando clicky.
Still jav pd? One few times I'd think you'd use one, clicks work otherwise.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:43 AM
Fire Giant

Can click from door or bow/jav. But it's a bard race that one, doubt a monk or rogue has done an initial pd in 5 years. Bards move so fast that stopsong and wand is faster than 250 jav from 250 as you close the gap and wand before the projectile.

But picking up a loose dragon from max range absolutely.

Edit: I don't bard a lot, did for 2nd time in a decade last month. might bard again in 2030.
Last edited by Solist; 03-07-2023 at 03:00 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 03:08 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You don't need stat food, as an example.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sandwic...Smelling_Herbs

Force feed yourself iron rations or icy mushrooms or chokidai jerky,
then put the sandwich ABOVE your other food in inventory to get those stats. Set gina timers for 'you cant possible eat' and force feed yourself as needed or move the sandwiches back behind the othe long duration food.

Do you even play everquest man? This is basic stuff. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-07-2023, 03:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can click from door or bow/jav. But it's a bard race that one, doubt a monk or rogue has done an initial pd in 5 years. Bards move so fast that stopsong and wand is faster than 250 jav from 250 as you close the gap and wand before the projectile.

But picking up a loose dragon from max range absolutely.

Edit: I don't bard a lot, did for 2nd time in a decade last month. might bard again in 2030.
Ahh I just remember jav can go through I guess a bow prob can too
Old 03-07-2023, 03:19 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ahh I just remember jav can go through I guess a bow prob can too
Remember when Naulken launched one over Hokushin on the first bow fte for PD ever, setting off that chain of shitshow we still deal with today for motg/sev etc. good times
Old 03-07-2023, 07:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sandwic...Smelling_Herbs

Force feed yourself iron rations or icy mushrooms or chokidai jerky,
then put the sandwich ABOVE your other food in inventory to get those stats. Set gina timers for 'you cant possible eat' and force feed yourself as needed or move the sandwiches back behind the othe long duration food.

Do you even play everquest man? This is basic stuff. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You missed the word need. I didn't say stat food was bad. I said you didn't need it, which is true. If you are at a point where your bag slots are full, bag space becomes more important than 50 HP.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:16 PM
Sarnak

So this is my takehome message from this topic so far:

- There's no consensus on what a true BIS setup is, unsurprising as its situation dependent but most posters here assume a raiding standpoint.

- DSM pointed out there is an AC softcap but did not prove that AC despite diminished return isn't the stat to go for in any tanking or solo scenario.

- For advanced pulls players seldom use javelins but instead use clickies which allows the use of ranged slot items like Vyemm's left Eye.

- Several posters have pointed out that if you forego AC for MR (a more relevant stat than AC for DPS and pulling) you will have less sta than in the profile I linked. Items like Robe of Azure Sky, Essence Pearl, Shawl of Protection and Cloak of the Falling Stars do not appear to be controversial picks as far as MR is concerned.

- Adding ALL of the above items to my original profile and equipping Fon+Gharns you're at 234 stamina with 0 attribute points spent, 239 if you use Do'Vassir's Gauntlets of Might. You could of course add more questionable item picks for even higher MR but there appears to be no consensus at to if the sacrifice is worth it even for raid pulling purposes. 40hp difference, which likely will never matter BUT we're talking minmaxing here!

- People consider Gharn's + FoN superior over Abashi. I have yet to see any DPS comparison made with velious 2h bonus taken into account. No consideration to ripostes, once again more of a raiding mindset in the topic.

- Buff slots matter and being able to forego a stamina buff is valuable although it appears to only be relevant for advanced pulls and AoE debuff fights that aren't trivial already.

- You can proc Primal off Eye of Zomm, meaning any time when you're not in a hurry and it's motivated to set up (solo or in raid) dex and str only needs to excede 150.

- Meathook is a monk celeb and favors dex. Cecily is a straight up gangsters and enjoys dex too.

Discussion:

For solo and small group challenges HP, AC and dex to me appear the better choices. Unless you use Holgresh Elder Beads to proc your primal in which case more points in dex is pointless. In most other situations you're either chain killing (primal is up) or the fight is too trivial to bother with tedious set-ups and dex wins out anyway. Velious stamina buff clicky is 45 mins so it's not too hard to keep up and adds another 23sta.

For raiding MR is valued and AC is not. High MR pieces are low on stamina and you want to preserve buffslots if possible. So for the highest HP + MR build stamina is the better choice.

Since it's possible to without a single point invested in sta get 200+ MR unbuffed and 249 sta (which caps self-buffed) I'll go with 20 dex. Should I ever need more MR than that in a raid puller setting and drop stamina gear for more MR I could always deal with having one less buffslot or 40 less HP, it'll never matter.

Whilst the stamina crew is trying to proc worker's sledgemallet my monk will already be dead outside VP, god bless you Talendor.

Also, leveling with dex and Tranquil Staff seems fun.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

if i had to pick between having abashi OR gharns + FoN

itd be abashi
Old 03-07-2023, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if i had to pick between having abashi OR gharns + FoN

itd be abashi
I'd choose 2 cek fists and gear 5 alts
Old 03-07-2023, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd choose 2 cek fists and gear 5 alts
mm yeah i was guilty of doing this too