Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-06-2023, 10:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dude, no real monk has the bag space for carrying something like that. Any that do are shitter's collecting shinies, not winning mobs.

Also if we're using that logic, he should carry a Ssra's eyepatch for the extra +1 to all over the doze face.

/bonk

Anyway, why is that monk magelo being used anyway, it's pretty far from BiS or ideal for anything.
FoN+Gharns for stats & DPS over abashi.
ST Earring
Vulak face over doze arguably. it's a tossup.
Probably SS boots over destroyer for HP
Vyemm range over a shuriken
PD robe over ikky chest

Huge amount of resists missing from that for no real loss.
If you want to go with the "real monk" argument, a "real monk" won't have a Shroud of Longevity either[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Statistically speaking most Monks will not have that item.

I agree that the Magelo provided earlier wasn't great, so let's make some better ones! When discussing full BiS gear the question becomes which combination yields the most stats, not which individual items are awesome.

These are not going to use a range item, because Monks will be pulling with javelins in the ranged slot often enough. Obviously you can switch between a ranged weapon and a stat item, but realistically that is not always easy when doing tough pulls, and you can still get AoE'd while you have the ranged item equipped.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_...MMonkBiSTest01 - This first one is what it would take to get as close to 205 MR as possible without sacrificing too much. The magic number is 205 because flowers give you +50 to each resistance as a buff. This one gets us to 204 MR when wearing a Robe of the Azure Sky.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_...MMonkBiSTest02 - This one assumes the Monk was able to get both the Robe of Longetivity and the Clawed Guardian Bracer from warders. This one gets to 204 MR as well due to the Clawed Guardian Bracer.

As you can see, the stat differences are extremely minor. With buffs you are simply looking at a difference of 15HP. Really the only difference between the Shroud of Longevity wearing monk and the Robe of Azure Sky monk is the +9 regeneration you would get. You cannot use the full 15 amount because both setups have 3 Aura of Battle items.

I believe most people agree human monks are just as capable as Iksar monks without the +8 standing regeneration. Realistically speaking if that is the case, you can live without the +9 regeneration as well. You could also think of an Iksar monk as a human monk wearing warder loot[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Due to how close the Magelos are, this becomes (yet again) more of a fight about how useful racials are than anything else. If you believe Shroud of Longetivity's regeneration is a game changer, then you must also say Iksar regeneration is a game changer. This means human monks have a significant disadvantage.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:08 AM
Fire Giant

You're making some weird assumptions about how a monk functions on p1999. No monk on p99 has used a javelin in over 12 years now; I think I've used 6 individual javs in 12 months or so total... That meta died about month 6 of kunark duking out trak engages.

So with those assumptions being slighty off it means your magelo's are still pretty poor
No silver bracelet of speed?
No abashi/FoN equipped?
No Ring of Destruction?
Noone's carrying Do Vissar's around on a monk except Kelz. Again bagspace and the epic click combined with firefist or grim aura is your #1 slot dispell repellent. Permanant buff slot 1.

Abashi is inventory clickable, you never equip that item except once you have 4-5 FoN procs tanking. You never use javs...ever.

Other changes I made was boots to +hp/resist, you have enough AC at that point.
Range added.

The argument is about bagspace too. So you don't have bagspace to carry a CT shield around for resists etc. You don't have bagspace to carry a spare shawl etc. A top end monk has maaaaybe 3 slots free total, with half their keys banked.

Anyway check this one out for a clearer picture.

monkforumhero

Shroud of longevity is a game changer because it is regen, plus the 100hp (which is 1.4 regen/tick on mend cooldown), plus resists, plus a bag slot. Combine all those and it's why it is good. Plus it's a lot of stamina in one slot which is a buffslot midway through velious which is fairly huge. Without shroud you're using koi back and maybe stamina boots to cap until you're about 2 slots from BiS. Monks are incredibly bagslot, and buff cap limited.

As for throwing items, maybe when doing king I'll summon some throwing things...and the range slot goes right back the moment i've thrown the projectile. Might throw a jav at a vaniki or guardian K. Pretty darn rare they come out of the bag though.
Old 03-07-2023, 12:19 AM
Aviak

Depends what you think your endgame is gonna look like. But if you think youre gonna be one of the top geared monks on the server, then dex is the build. Sta is the build for second-tier monks who end up with 1 or 2 vulak/doze items. Top monks easily max out STA without buffs. You cant max dex without buff or large sacrifices in other stats.

People on p99 consistently underestimate how relevant dex is.

Here is my Magelo: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Green:Meathookk
Last edited by meathook; 03-07-2023 at 12:30 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 12:20 AM
Fire Giant

Can we all collectively agree to stop responding to DSM?
Old 03-07-2023, 12:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends what you think your endgame is gonna look like. But if you think youre gonna be one of the top geared monks on the server, then dex is the build. Sta is the build for second-tier monks who end up with 1 or 2 vulak/doze items. Top monks easily max out STA without buffs. You cant max dex without buff or large sacrifices in other stats.

People on p99 consistently underestimate how relevant dex is.

Here is my Magelo: https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Green:Meathookk
All your combat stats are going to be capped with FoS and Avatar, so that isn't a good argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're making some weird assumptions about how a monk functions on p1999. No monk on p99 has used a javelin in over 12 years now; I think I've used 6 individual javs in 12 months or so total... That meta died about month 6 of kunark duking out trak engages.

So with those assumptions being slighty off it means your magelo's are still pretty poor
No silver bracelet of speed?
No abashi/FoN equipped?
No Ring of Destruction?
Noone's carrying Do Vissar's around on a monk except Kelz. Again bagspace and the epic click combined with firefist or grim aura is your #1 slot dispell repellent. Permanant buff slot 1.

Abashi is inventory clickable, you never equip that item except once you have 4-5 FoN procs tanking. You never use javs...ever.

Other changes I made was boots to +hp/resist, you have enough AC at that point.
Range added.

The argument is about bagspace too. So you don't have bagspace to carry a CT shield around for resists etc. You don't have bagspace to carry a spare shawl etc. A top end monk has maaaaybe 3 slots free total, with half their keys banked.

Anyway check this one out for a clearer picture.

monkforumhero

Shroud of longevity is a game changer because it is regen, plus the 100hp (which is 1.4 regen/tick on mend cooldown), plus resists, plus a bag slot. Combine all those and it's why it is good. Plus it's a lot of stamina in one slot which is a buffslot midway through velious which is fairly huge. Without shroud you're using koi back and maybe stamina boots to cap until you're about 2 slots from BiS. Monks are incredibly bagslot, and buff cap limited.

As for throwing items, maybe when doing king I'll summon some throwing things...and the range slot goes right back the moment i've thrown the projectile. Might throw a jav at a vaniki or guardian K. Pretty darn rare they come out of the bag though.
I do have abashi equipped in the Magelo. You might want to look closer instead of simply trying to be silly.

If you want to cap resists at 255 Ring of Destruction is inferior to Essence Ring. You are basically swapping 7 all res for 35 HP. Not a good trade. Good catch on the Silver Bracelet of Speed though, I did miss that one.

I am not sure why you are concerned about bag space either, since that Magelo only has 4 swap pieces.

If Shroud was a Game Changer Monks would request Regrowth instead of Ring 10, which they often don't. If you can live without 5 regen, you can live without 9.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 03-07-2023 at 01:02 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 12:59 AM
Fire Giant

You do not need abashii equipped. Noone equips abashii, it's an inventory item.

Please look at my magelo i posted so you know what you're talking about finally.

You very obviously don't play a monk or know anything about p99 pulling if you think bagspace isn't an issue. Here's a real quick list off top of my head that I carry generally a mix of the below. +- 1 or so of each as consumables get smashed, wort gets eaten, lend out shit that isn't returned (wtb tash sticks continually).

Using 7 bags gives you 71 slots.
3 are keys with 2 banked
2 are food and stat food
1 gate pot
1 thurg pot
1 wc cap
1 cazic pot
10 worts
5-10 forlorn totems
1 poison cure pot
5 wand of frost bolts, maybe 7-8 thin boned wands if not
1 scepter
5 flowers
jboots
2-3 sow pots
5 invis rings
maybe a MR pot as sometimes you need to exceed cap (kiting fear where you get tashed and want to still be over 255)
beads
aon sometimes
ot hammer
grim aura item
see invis bracer
PD crown
crown of hatred
lev cloak
shuriken bracer
nightmare hide
idol
1stack javs (you keep these bagged not ammo slot as its faster to loot corpse that way)
2 task sticks
reaper
larrikens mask (to invis your eyeball, nexona pull+invis others for whatever dumb shit you do)

Idk how much that adds up to, but it's a decent amount of shit to haul around on any competent monk.

edit:
I counted. 67. I just checked and I carry 68 things on my mnk as there's usually 1-2 quest items. But only 3 wand of frost bolts as im a shitter.

edit 2:
Lol, no abashi listed either...Sorry I don't got. But I do carry 2 golem wands at all times a poor man's alternative.

edit 3:
Forgot add a bio orb too, pretty darn handy in about 4 situations I do semi commonly (low man/trio plate house, PoG, kiting shit in DN like vaniki/vilefang/queen to preslow, general goofing about).
Last edited by Solist; 03-07-2023 at 01:29 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 01:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

Please look at my magelo i posted so you know what you're talking about finally.
I didn't say you need it equipped in my last post. You said:

Quote:
No abashi/FoN equipped?
I assumed you thought no weapon was equipped at all.

I think you didn't read the description in the Magelo, which says I am showing the worst stats by equipping abashi.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 03-07-2023 at 01:14 AM..
Old 03-07-2023, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:

You very obviously don't play a monk or know anything about p99 pulling if you think bagspace isn't an issue. Here's a real quick list off top of my head that I carry generally a mix of the below. +- 1 or so of each as consumables get smashed, wort gets eaten, lend out shit that isn't returned (wtb tash sticks continually).

Using 7 bags gives you 71 slots.
3 are keys with 2 banked
2 are food and stat food
1 gate pot
1 thurg pot
1 wc cap
1 cazic pot
10 worts
5-10 forlorn totems
1 poison cure pot
5 wand of frost bolts, maybe 7-8 thin boned wands if not
1 scepter
5 flowers
jboots
2-3 sow pots
5 invis rings
maybe a MR pot as sometimes you need to exceed cap (kiting fear where you get tashed and want to still be over 255)
beads
aon sometimes
ot hammer
grim aura item
see invis bracer
PD crown
crown of hatred
lev cloak
shuriken bracer
nightmare hide
idol
1stack javs (you keep these bagged not ammo slot as its faster to loot corpse that way)
2 task sticks
reaper
larrikens mask (to invis your eyeball, nexona pull+invis others for whatever dumb shit you do)

Idk how much that adds up to, but it's a decent amount of shit to haul around on any competent monk.
I didn't say bag space was unimportant. You really need to learn how to read lol. You were simply making a point about bag space, which is irrelevant to the Magelo I posted. If you don't want Do'Vasirs gauntlets, that is perfectly fine, but even yourself can afford 1 slot if you wanted to have it. You don't need stat food, as an example.
Old 03-07-2023, 01:35 AM
Planar Protector

The main problem I have with your Magelo https://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_...dmonkforumhero is you are completely relying on https://wiki.project1999.com/Vyemm's_Left_Eye for 25 MR, which is dangerous whenever you need to swap to a ranged item. You are also losing that 75 max HP if you unequip it. Not saying you shouldn't have a ranged item stat piece, but my Magelos were designed to show you what your stats look like in the worst situation if you want max resistances. You are at risk of not realizing where all your stats are coming from.
Old 03-07-2023, 02:05 AM
Fire Giant

Ignoring magelo, I don't rely on any one item. I run 320MR on my main kiting class for fear/zlandi/vaniki/kland. On the monk somewhere around 235 I found has been adequate. I'd like more sure, but it's adequate.

As for that item, you never need to unequip a range item. Before the projectile even lands the 'real' range item is back in. You never, ever have permanant range items in range. Mouse a jav into range slot, hit range attack, mouse range item back in. It's a <1 second operation. You don't run around with a jav or shuriken equipped for 20mins waiting to throw it at something. You use wands for that.

There isn't a situation you remove the range item for a projectile for more than that time in the game of everquest, in this expension/content range. Maybe later on in the game you unequip slots for some reason, shuriken from time maybe?

And again Do vissar is about having a permanant worn spell gem 1 instaclick always up.
Grim aura or firefist are buff 1. Start fighting they get overwritten by celestial tranquility. End fighting, click grim aura/firefist back on. Not to do with stats.

Even when running around kiting you're constantly being dispelled like a vaniki pull. You want to be able to spam 4 to 5 self instant buffs on to protect a deeply buried sow. (and speaking generally here about warriors too as there's knowledge for them to share) Tanking glimmers (or sontalak) in ToV you want to use equipped/worn, non targeted insta clicks so items like AoN, 10th ring, feshlak BP, monk epic, tunare belt, lady nev cloak are valuable beyond any lacking stats they may have. There's a lot of value in having those items beyond what seems like a rando clicky.