Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 01-18-2023, 12:58 AM
Kobold

Default Better solo artist -- Monk vs paladin?

Hello,

I have a 50 monk and a 51 paladin and I've now reached the point where I feel like I have to choose between the two in terms of who to invest more time in. I just don't have the time to play a lot to camp items endlessly or raid constantly due to real life engagements (my 55 mage on blue was made in 2017, my 57 druid on green was made in march 2020....the melees were made around the time covid hit, too. So i'm slow and need to pick one now...)

Between monk and paladin, which class is the better solo artist? I made both because I like the idea of soloing tough mobs, especially in the context of solo dungeon crawling. When geared at their best or near best (it may take me many years, but I hope to get there someday), who is more capable? My gut tells me paladin because of their toolkit but wanted to get some expert advice. I want the class I can not only explore deep in dungeons with, but also kill nameds by myself or do tough camps by myself because I love challenges. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2023, 01:31 AM
Planar Protector

Depends on your gear. If you have Epic + Fungi + IFS (or other good monk weapons), then Monk will do pretty well. Otherwise the Paladin is probably going to be better. They have a lot of utility, albeit slower killing speeds.
Old 01-18-2023, 03:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

If you're talking GEARED, I would saw monk and its not even close
Old 01-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Planar Protector

If you're going to be getting the very top level gear I'd say monk. The way mend scales with max hp is just insane once you are geared, and the vanilla class drawback of being restricted to bad blunt weapons and low ac equipment gets completely worked around by Kunark and Velious.

For challenges FD makes a more convenient reset button than 90% rez and you'll have access to a powerful slow clicky.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 01-18-2023, 10:24 AM
Planar Protector

Pally if you just want to do solo stuff. Monks are cool when heavily geared but you need way too much dkp to even get close to that.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just don't have the time to play a lot to camp items endlessly or raid constantly due to real life engagements
Pick paladin due to this factor. A monk can give good service in the long-run, but monks usually want to overgear the content they face. At level 50+ that usually equates to doing a lot of guild- and raid-related activities. The paladin is easier if you're in more level-appropriate equipment and still enjoys a pretty good ceiling.

Main issue with the paladin is--it's SLOW. I don't have the patience to solo them at 50+ for that reason. This is EQ, and melee classes aren't really meant for solo'ing in general, and even being decent by solo melee standards still means you stink at it compared to any of several caster types. However, if you're going to do it and don't have time/inclination to get the character decked out in raid loot, the paladin suits your needs better than a monk would.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:19 AM
Planar Protector

Aint no paladin soloing Spore King or Emperor.

But for OP's sake: its Paladin. With Narandi Crown, Fungi, Deepwater BP, and a Narandi's Lance you're pretty much going to hit the soft cap of what can be done solo.

Monk needs years of dkp / raiding to become a god.

Either way you go, don't forget your 10 dose Kilva's DS pots.
Last edited by Toxigen; 01-18-2023 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-18-2023, 12:14 PM
Kobold

I would choose monk for a more casual play style. FD is the ultimate afk switch (with hide being right there with it but neither of your classes have hide.)
Balamorm<ALS> - Barbarian Rogue
Deetith - Iksar Monk
Old 01-18-2023, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

“Solo artist” is probably a misleading phrase. Unless you really are talking BiS, burning clickies and making clickable vids like the above (and not posting the failed attempts). Many but not all for monks include raid buffs.

Either can solo easily to 60, the pally a more durable and stubborn grinder being able to just overcome a npc with time and clicks. The monk will run into some npcs that outpace it and either have to reset and try again or move on. Any pure melee will scale better with the best gear and buffs but not everyone will raid to get those. A pally with a reaver and a DW helm doesn’t need much else.

The idea of crawling like seb with either is just gross. This game is like watching paint dry at times. I guess I could crawl seb with my paladin but it makes me tired just thinking of it.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:19 PM
Fire Giant

honestly an alternate universe version of kelza could probably do those solo vids on paladin. dude has a million dkp and more items than god