Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Sarnak

Default Starting ranger questions

So,
The wiki says exp penalty is 40%... I believe that to be wrong. But what do rangers get for penalty from their three race choices(wood elf, half elf, human)?

How about starting stats. I believe and confirmed from reliable source to go stamina for raiding... So if you object I want to hear why.

How about starting weapons and gear? Tiger raptor... Does it at least look good and are the stats worth the money? The 2hb that every ranger wields is damage capped until 30 I think, what about a starting 1hander? I'm gonna try to pair my fungi with an rbb by the way.

Anything else I should know? I already know my surname should be "corpse" or the other usual a but how about something substantial all and beneficial? That'd be a nice change on the forums.

Thanks in advance friends, happy hunting
Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 PM
Planar Protector

Hi. No, exp penalty is a thing of the past finally. What race you pick is largely just, well entirely, a matter of aesthetics. Humans can wear this and they get a cool looking Velious custom helm graphic. Tunare rangers get the option of questing this item, which you won't get as a Karana worshiper. I strongly suggest you look up your race / gender custom helm graphic because that's how the Helm of the Tracker will look. It's also hard to say what stats matter since rangers are a weird DPS sorta tank sorta caster. I went 5 str / sta / dex / wis. If I did it again, I'd probably go heavier on str and sta, but none of my points were wasted.

As a GM tailor and a ranger, I think Tigeraptor is pretty bad for the price, which is considerable due to it using velium studs instead of boning. The only really appealing items in the set are the boots and cloak. The rest has mediocre stats and horrible ac, poorly suited to an alt tank role. Not sure about its look. Think orange? Probably go for crystal chitin pieces IMO. Heavy AC and nice ranger stats.

Weapons... Get a Silver Swiftblade ASAP. It's 16/24 2 hand slasher and is one of the nicest beginner weapons any class gets. Dirt cheap too thanks to our friends in Chardok AE. Think that's solid until 20. After that, you're gonna want a Woodsman Staff if you can afford it. That will see you through until your 50s and beyond. Was the weapon of choice until epics in Kunark. There's more and better weapon (more expensive) options, particularly for 2 handers now.

For procing weapons you'll want a Swarmcaller (slow) at lv 46 and Lupine Dagger (greater wolf form) at lv 45 when they proc. The Lupine is cool because it procs a stronger wolf than you'd be able to cast at 45. Clickies.. Tolan's Bracer is the best out of the set besides the BP.

True heroes don't need surnames. And my ranger has died way less than my rogue and druid. It's a tough class, but I think you'll enjoy.
Definitely my favorite character.

etetecetetcceteraGL
Last edited by Cecily; 04-20-2016 at 11:03 PM..
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 AM
Sarnak

Right on, much appreciated. I'll have to digest the graphics then make a decision. Also, the surname was a joke but in seriousness first names are tough. They have to be something I like and am okay with people shouting out in a voice chat.

Oh and the tiger raptor was quite unappealing. I'll be gathering gear for the ranger and won't start him to I collect it all.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Fire Giant

depending on budget, a springwood stave (31/42) is a dirt cheap alternative to the woodman's staff that will work out just fine

The black ice leggings and sleeves and the rygorr battle mail are also fairly cheap if you need some low cost options
Old 04-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Sarnak

Well I'm not worried about budget. I'm not getting the best in every slot but I want it where it counts. I think fungi, rbb, a good weapon and the rest will be above average. Prolly the new hp/mana rings/jewelry. The usuals
Old 04-22-2016, 01:28 PM
Sarnak

Is tracking still only able to track 20 mobs at a time for rangers?
Old 04-22-2016, 02:18 PM
Aviak

Until one of the more knowledgeable Rangers answers ... I don't think so. I think that as your Ranger tracking skill goes up, what actually increases is your range. So as long as you are in (tracking) range of > 20 targets, then you sill see >20 targets.
You might also play with your tracking window to see if you can enlarge/increase and see if that helps.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:25 PM
Aviak

Yeah, can track as many mob as your track range will allow

Superranger Uselessranger, 60 Ranger of Azure Guard !
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Sarnak

The damage cap from 20-30 is 60, or 30 damage on the weapon. (you can hit higher with high str) So a 31/35 weapon (woodsman), will be 30/35. So, not much difference, and you get a tiny bonus at 30! That's perfect, heh.

PS Also, you are getting into 2hand damage bonuses at 20-30, that's why some people don't believe there is a cap at 30. The damage bonus is still added but the weapon acts as a 30 damager.
Last edited by Lemonhead; 04-22-2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 04-22-2016, 06:59 PM
Sarnak

How are Rangers on p99? Fun? Solo well?
Closed Thread