Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:53 AM
Kobold

Default Charm targetting

I'm a few levels from getting my first charm song and I was wondering how that all works since the spell effect has such a short duration. If you /stopcasting and target the mob you want the pet to attack, will the charm effect stay on the pet?
Old 04-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

It has a duration. I think it is 18 seconds and no, you cannot cancel it early except for maybe with cancel magic?? At least that is the case with the bards I have grouped with.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:31 PM
Fire Giant

Yes. Unlike most bard songs that will run continuously until you cancel them, the charm song only activates for 1 "pulse" - once the song pulses on your target and charms the mob, you will at that time not be singing anything and can start another song. The mob will remain charmed for ~18s unless an early break occurs, regardless of whatever other songs (except invis) you sing in that time.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 AM
Aviak

You can cancel it early by invising either through song (invis song or selo's song of travel), hide or any invis clicky item (vs animals most common)
Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Sarnak

I have a whole section on charming on my bard guide, as well as how to tab target

http://wiki.project1999.com/Thrasos%...e#Introduction

The charm lasts for 18 seconds, not one pulse (a pulse is 3 seconds, ie the casting time of a bard song).

What you do is select a target, begin the cast. Once you have begin to cast the song you can switch targets. Use your key that is bound to 'cycle through targets' to select the target you want the pet to attack. Once the charm spell lands and the pet window pops up, hit pet attack.

You kind of develop a 6th sense for when you should start recasting your charm spell. If you time it right you can reland a charm spell right after it wears off in order to keep the mobs at a safe distance from you.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Fire Giant

What I meant by that was most bard songs, once activated, will continue running until you stop them. With charm, it will only "cast" once and then effectively /stopsong itself.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

No need to "sense" when it will fade. Target 2 mobs. Charm one, target last, pet attack, speed song. Have a seat (to regen mana faster) and watch the "you run faster" for three ticks. Then get ready for charm break.

It will rarely break before then. Once charm is casting, toggle to the other target so you can hit pet attack the instant it charms. Don't snare one, ideally they should be standing on top of each other all the time, so there's no charm duration wasted.
Closed Thread