Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 12-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Banned

Default I don't remember monks being able to tank 20+ years ago.

I was one of the first high level monks on my server, and I remember having people message me shocked at how hard my monk would punch during Plane of Hate raids because no one really mained monks back then, and I was the first high level one they had seen and there was a lot of speculation for how much damage the class could do at higher levels.

But I never felt like my monk could tank in groups, and I don't think it's because my gear was bad or anything. This was the era of "AC is king" so I wore the Gator Scale leggings, Azure sleeves, Froglok crown etc. over planar gear and stuff. Like I for sure had an easier time solo'ing than my Rogue did, but when I was in a group, I was never able to effectively tank as my Monk.

I ultimately ended up quitting my Monk for my Rogue because it felt like in groups they were both relegated to just being melee DPS, and that my Rogue did better DPS, and that he could actually carry loot.

I also remember when they finally nerfed Monk tankiness, a lot of my Monk friends were happy because they simultaneously buffed their damage, which was essentially their main role anyways.

Because of all this, I really feel like Monks on P99 are tankier than they were 20+ years ago. When I first played on P99, I leveled an untwinked Gnome Cleric on Green, fairly early into the server's life, and there was a serious lack of tanks, so I ended up having a Monk named Bebquix who I met in Crushbone, almost exclusively tank for my groups all the way until level 50.

This monk was wearing cloth armor, and was not a twink, and yet I had no problem healing them all the way through Unrest, Mistmoore, Lower Guk, Sol B, Cazic Thule etc. and I don't think that would have gone similarly back in the day -- even if they were twinked, which they were not.

I'm not complaining, or asking for Monks to be nerfed. I look forward to twinking one in the near future and enjoying their uncanny ability to solo when equipped properly, but I don't think their tankiness is how Monks really were 20+ years ago and wonder if anyone else feels the same way?

Obviously I could be wrong about this. They nerfed Monks mitigation for a reason I'm sure, but I remember having to regularly feign death to stay alive in my groups because of how squishy I was.
Old 12-10-2022, 08:51 AM
Banned

monks didnt tank until very end game velious (not even thurg gear)
Old 12-10-2022, 08:52 AM
Banned

and yeah if u want classic go make ur own server lawl
Old 12-10-2022, 11:19 AM
Kobold

Groups in classic typically camped even to yellow con mobs whereas modern optimal groups camp the absolutely lowest level mobs they can find that still con blue. This could skew tanking memories.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:16 PM
Banned

I'm not bashing OP, so don't take it the wrong way.

But why is it when people post on the 'Bugs' forum, it's always 'This [cool thing that everyone loves] shouldn't exist. I found evidence that this [really beloved thing] isn't classic.

It never goes the other way.

I swear it's like some people get off on shitting on other people's parades.

You know what I found out that's Classic? Uh, everyone is awesome and should get a free blowjob. Found it on an Allakazam post circa 1999.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
everyone is awesome and should get a free blowjob.
fixed, pending update [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-10-2022, 12:57 PM
Banned

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-10-2022, 02:06 PM
Banned

Is this the first time someone has mentioned on these forums a class being too strong/OP from classic that actually isn’t enchanters?

Wow, historic moment, and I was here
Old 12-10-2022, 02:33 PM
Banned

rogues where a bit too strong too butt they where innappropriately nerfed in some ways and buffed in others idk what else to say

wizards are weaker than they should be

and necros feel pretty good a bit week in the lower lvls but it sorts itself out (mana is probably wrong on here too)

definately resists are still NOT right
Old 12-10-2022, 02:35 PM
Banned

peopel waz complaining about mage back when too like back when blue was just a hackbox and ppl swarmed raid bosses with 50 mages and back during kunark butt they eventually got around to being nerfed into the ground and broken completely in unclassic ways

I don't think anyone who cares reads these forums anywmore anyway its RnF