Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Love trying old games, I want to start my first OS Mmorpg here!

I've heard of EQ countless times being a father to MMO gaming, how fun it was and how heart pumping pvp got.

I want to start here, I think I have Red 99 client so, I'm probably forced to play pvp servers first. Any tips that could help me out or help me out ingame with getting started (what to do, how to pvp, some grinding locs) ? I'm so excited to finally get this. Correct me if I'm wrong on anything here. I'm pretty new to this.
Last edited by yuioplok; 10-07-2013 at 12:28 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Laugher

If you can log into red you can also log into regular 99, they're both the same cleint hehe, if there's one thing I'd recommend on this server it is to have patience, unlike other eq servers this server (and even red imo) has a slower and more livelike exp rate than any other eq server, but being able to stick it out and break 50+ as a result is really rewarding.

Starting out I'd say have persistence and try to get yourself up to grouping level. If I had to predict when that would be I'd say it begins around 6-7 in ec or maybe 4-5 on orc hill in gfay [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

If you do decide to go red, disregard any thoughts of grouping in your first while and get ready to get on the grind, be wary of others too [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

in either case I'd recommend one of my fav starting areas to you: West Freeport. If you can't go there then I'd recommend starting in the butcherblock or steamfont area then headed to gfay, either one will do for 1-5. at 6 in Freeport you can start killing in EC more successfully but watch out for the griffin that roams mid zone and the air elemental that roams toward the tunnel on the south side of the zone, and if gfay then look into killing orcs in the northern part of the zone 6+ [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Laugher; 10-07-2013 at 12:33 AM..
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Fire Giant

Kelethin / GFay is always a fun way for newcomers to start. The town itself is amazing (tree forts!) with good music.

Of course, Freeport gives you the option of having the EC Tunnel right next door for high end buffs and some hand outs if you're lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfight
"President, its time to shut the fuck up."
Old 10-07-2013, 02:26 AM
Kobold

Be prepared for a rough grind. This game is unlike any other when it comes to frustration/reward. It will kick you in the dirt. You will know how persistent you are after you play this game awhile. Is this your first time playing EQ? Or did you play on live?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I am actually confused, when I start a barbarian warrior female, I spawn in some cave and in some Icy Mountains. Polar bears keep killing me, what to do?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuioplok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am actually confused, when I start a barbarian warrior female, I spawn in some cave and in some Icy Mountains. Polar bears keep killing me, what to do?
Right click on monsters to consider them. If the color of the text is yellow or red, avoid them. If it's white or blue, attack them (later, you'll only be able to handle blues alone, and soon enough you'll need to group to handle monsters at all). Once you hit level 5 or so you can head into Blackburrow to group up. Refer to the Wiki maps - your starting city is Halas and the zone with the bears is Everfrost.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

I might re-roll while I have the chance, any suggestions?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuioplok [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I might re-roll while I have the chance, any suggestions?
Depends entirely on what you want to do in the game. If you want to tank, a good starting character is a paladin. If you want to heal, cleric is ideal. If you want to DPS, rogue or monk. If you want to solo a lot (though that's not the point of EverQuest), there are a lot of options - most casters can solo in one way or another.

By the way, when you die you need to find your corpse and loot it, otherwise you'll lose your items.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Depends entirely on what you want to do in the game. If you want to tank, a good starting character is a paladin. If you want to heal, cleric is ideal. If you want to DPS, rogue or monk. If you want to solo a lot (though that's not the point of EverQuest), there are a lot of options - most casters can solo in one way or another.

By the way, when you die you need to find your corpse and loot it, otherwise you'll lose your items.

Is it a pain trying to find it? I guess I can go pally.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

It can be a pain... especially in dark places when you are a race that can't see well in the dark.

Learn to use the command: /loc and the basic zone grid system.

Type that and Enter before you die. It'll tell you the coordinates of where you died. You'll need this before you start learning how to tell where you are by sight.
Closed Thread