Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Aviak

Question Short freeze ups - help me!

Ok, so the last month or two I've been having little stutters now and again. The game will freeze up for a a second or three and then keep right on chugging away.

This isn't a big deal on most of my characters, but it is death on my bard. My kite will be going perfectly and then suddenly the game freezes for 3 seconds and I come back dead.

Internet seems fine, lag meter in the top left corner seems happy.

Someone suggested I run EQplaynice or something like that as a possible solution. Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on and how I can fix it? When it was one death a level it wasn't that big a deal, but I've had my 5th death in 35 from this and it's starting to get kinda old.

Thanks for your help [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Sarnak

Any overheating issues?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 AM
Sarnak

How much free space is on your hard drive?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 AM
Aviak

Don't think I've got any overheating issues. I play on a laptop and just had the fan replaced last month.

Got about 43 gigs of free HD space.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM
Kobold

Has anything changed on your computer? Any new software?

Also I find that a lot of games do not like lots of things being left open in the background, specifically a browser with a hundred tabs open like I usually do :P I usually open a different browser when I'm playing and just have a few tabs open in there.

I also suggest running an adware scan, Spybot and Adaware are both good, I run both. Spybot is cool because it also empties all your temp files. And adaware is great at finding bad stuff.

And lastly you could run a defrag on your hard disk. There are lots of different ones, including some free ones. I think you can get one called O&O Defrag for free which is far better than the one in windows. Although I own a copy of PerfectDisk which is really good too.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Sarnak

A laptop, eh? I'm betting it's overheating - do you have one of those cooler pads?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:44 AM
Aviak

Thanks Batkiller, I'll try the defrag. I do spybot pretty regularly but maybe I need to do it again.

I just downloaded Realtemp and have it running in the background. My core temp has spiked up as high as 78 degrees Celsius, though more typically is in the 50s/60s. I run with a cooler pad when it's not on my desk, but maybe I need to do that here in my office too.

Presumably 78 is too high?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Aviak

I had a similar problem and it turned out that it was one of my HD's going bad. Wasn't even the one EQ was installed on. I guess windows just kept trying to do something with the bad drive that would effect the other drives in such a way that EQ would freeze for a few seconds every minute or two.

So if you have any external drives/devices attached to the laptop, try disconnecting them and see if anything changes.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Sarnak

Can you elaborate on why you replaced your fan? If it was going bad and you had bad heat spikes, you might have damaged your video card. When did the problem start happening?

Also, the defrag might detect bad sectors. A faulty HD could be at work here, as well.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Aviak

The fan shit the bed and so had to be swapped out. That was about 3 weeks ago. I'd been getting intermittent shutdowns that I'm pretty sure were from overheating leading up to that. When I finally started getting fan errors on boot up I called Lenovo and had them come do the service (yay 2 year on site warranty!)

If my vid card got damaged, will shutting stuff off in-game help, or is it what it is?

I'd say that it started in the last 2 months, and now that you mention it, probably around the same time as the overheating shutdowns started. I'm thinking I am going to have a sad. Of course that gives me a good excuse to get a new laptop...

Hmmmm..... [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread