Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-25-2022, 11:49 AM
Fire Giant

Wizards would also be the weakest in the game if it were not for raiding. They're essentially just a class for making money, mobilisation and getting people to PoH and PoS.

I think I'd honestly prefer a 2nd paladin in a group if I wanted a dedicated rooter and stunner. They can at least provide better sustained damage over time with a good 2 handed weapon and a haste item. That should put in perspective just how useless they are.
Old 09-25-2022, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards would also be the weakest in the game if it were not for raiding. They're essentially just a class for making money, mobilisation and getting people to PoH and PoS.

I think I'd honestly prefer a 2nd paladin in a group if I wanted a dedicated rooter and stunner. They can at least provide better sustained damage over time with a good 2 handed weapon and a haste item. That should put in perspective just how useless they are.
Wizards may be a bit weak in the group game. I think they get a little more hate than they should but they're certainly not great. Warriors are literally poopoo in just about every aspect of the game besides raid tanking. I think if we're ignoring raids warrior takes the cake for most useless class in a general sense. Being able to port alone gives wizards an edge in usefulness. Warriors have no class defining utility or anything special they bring to the table in any sense outside of mitigation and defensive discs. Their mitigation is rendered largely useless when they're completely unable to hold aggro off of anyone. They also can't solo for dick without pretty extensive twinking. You listed 3 non raid things that wizards are good for. How many things are warriors good for?
Old 09-25-2022, 12:35 PM
Planar Protector

100% agreed on putting in all the iksar ‘epics’ in a ‘fixed’ (‘as it should have / was intended to be’) server.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-25-2022, 11:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards may be a bit weak in the group game. I think they get a little more hate than they should but they're certainly not great. Warriors are literally poopoo in just about every aspect of the game besides raid tanking. I think if we're ignoring raids warrior takes the cake for most useless class in a general sense. Being able to port alone gives wizards an edge in usefulness. Warriors have no class defining utility or anything special they bring to the table in any sense outside of mitigation and defensive discs. Their mitigation is rendered largely useless when they're completely unable to hold aggro off of anyone. They also can't solo for dick without pretty extensive twinking. You listed 3 non raid things that wizards are good for. How many things are warriors good for?
You're right. I think wizards are a good 2nd place, though.

I know you've argued Druids are terrible, but at least they are versatile in the group game whilst still being great at solo. At least druids are fun to play...
Old 09-25-2022, 11:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're right. I think wizards are a good 2nd place, though.

I know you've argued Druids are terrible, but at least they are versatile in the group game whilst still being great at solo. At least druids are fun to play...
Druids are "just alright" at everything they do imo. Whether or not they're fun is kinda subjective. I don't have a personal vendetta against druids or anything. I just don't personally enjoy playing a class that isn't truly GOOD at anything. Wizards might suck at a lot of things but they're pretty crucial for raids. Same with warriors. At least they have ONE aspect of the game they're super good/important for. Druids don't really have that anywhere. Their best claim to fame is being good at PLing better classes.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:47 AM
Fire Giant

Perhaps I shouldn't have brought "fun" into this as a measure of how good a class is.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Perhaps I shouldn't have brought "fun" into this as a measure of how good a class is.
No, I think you were right to. A class is only powerful on paper if it isn’t actually fun to play.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-26-2022, 11:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Fun is important but it's entirely subjective and not easily quantifiable. Some people love playing clerics and others will swear up and down that it's the most boring shit they've ever experienced. Hard to judge classes on "fun" factor when everyone has different ideas of what fun is ya know? That's all I'm saying
Old 09-26-2022, 11:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Druids don't really have that anywhere.
I'll argue druids are the best utility alt. This is not a downer on them; they're very good at handling most of the various "maintenance" tasks that EQ requires over time. They're great bank mules, great for transferring equipment around, good as EC brokers, good for helping new characters start out, excellent for porting around searching out various quest NPCs and such, and they can mostly do it without needing particularly high levels or very good equipment. Such jobs don't necessarily get much attention or discussion, but they're necessary for playing EQ for any length of time. After all that, druid's still at least competent for normal activity through most of the game as well. It's hard to go wrong having access to a druid, even if it isn't a main. Druid's the most popular class, year after year, and I suspect the above is largely why: It has its place.

Danth
Old 09-26-2022, 01:40 PM
Planar Protector

Plus their circle spells for group FR CR buff are pretty nice. Every little bit helps if you don't have a ton of resist gear already, so that extra +5 compared to what other classes could provide is nice to have. Plus someone like a Cleric for example is going to be more preoccupied during a raid and doesn't need to be monitoring buffing peoples resistance.