Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-12-2022, 02:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlsNoBan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After skimming through this thread. My initial post still stands:

The people claiming you can raid casually are either A: talking about the HoT/trash tier targets I mentioned above or B: have a definition of "casual" that would make normal peoples skin crawl.
You can casually raid in big guilds now that the attendance requirements are gone. A lot of items are fairly cheap DKP wise in a top guild that gets a lot of targets per week. More targets killed also means more chances to catch a raid while you are available.
Old 09-12-2022, 02:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can casually raid in big guilds now that the attendance requirements are gone. A lot of items are fairly cheap DKP wise in a top guild that gets a lot of targets per week. More targets killed also means more chances to catch a raid while you are available.
I honestly doubt this. Assuming one can even get into one of the big guilds, I'd imagine most folks in there have amassed so much "DKP" that newcomers would be lucky to get a piece of garbage after a dedicated year of raiding. And anything cool and worthwhile, like an epic? Forget about it.

On a happier note though I did finally accomplish a long time goal a couple days ago.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Got to see my first raids, and earned my first epic, even if they were mostly solo. I never knew Plane of Hate could be such a cool zone. Dark, ominous, and a little confusing. I think it's my favorite in the game now next to Neriak.

I know it may not mean much considering this is on Live, but I am proud and happy of that accomplishment. So much so that I've locked my exp there at 60 so I can enjoy my epic pet as long as possible. It's something I would have absolutely loved to do on P99 but years of trying to find a good guild or community to jive with ended in nothing but failure, and the top dogs of the server would never allow me to do anything more ambitious than a derv camp, or have the privileged honor of porting the "real players" to their epic adventures.
Last edited by tadkins; 09-12-2022 at 03:06 AM..
Old 09-12-2022, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

EPIC GRATS!

RE DSM's post:

Most raid garbage is way better than easily accessible stuff you'd pick up while levelling up or cheap in EC.

The issue I've found is that the amount of time between a raid mob spawning and a guild mobilising to kill it is tiny. This means you need a character parked on site, and you need to be at a powered-up computer and monitoring discord/notifications to have a chance at attending almost any kill, assuming you are even available. That can require quite the perfect storm, but it isn't impossible... I keep a 60 war in toV on Blue but it is very rare that a bat phone goes out which I am available to answer.

Scheduled raiding can fit a bit more easily in to life - you know when and where it will be so you can manage other commitments around that. This is great if you enjoy trash clear type raids like Sky, Growth, Kael Arena/Plate house, etc and there are a few raid tier mobs which spawn frequently enough that it is feasible to schedule raids for them such as Derakor the Vindicator. That won't garner you the tiptop pixels though.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 09-12-2022, 04:33 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EPIC GRATS!
I do appreciate that. The mage epic was always my favorite looking one of all of them, even way back decades ago when they were first released. I remember looking at the first pictures of them from a high school library computer, and I dreamed of having it one day. I'm just a big fan of the rainbow color effects there.

I had heard how utterly insane it was to get on P99 though, and knew I wouldn't have a shred of a chance of ever getting one here. It's partly why I started here as a wizard in the first place, because at least that epic *seemed* accessible. Since I'm now playing on FV Live though, with its no no-drop rule thing, the mage one seemed far more obtainable and I rolled one as my main char there.

Mage epic still required a lot of patience though and I had to rely on someone's kindness for the Crown of Elemental Mastery as I couldn't solo PoSky due to DTs, but I finally succeeded. I know it's decades later and epics are beyond the point of anyone really caring, but I seriously am happy to finally have one. Finally getting to see places like PoHate and Kedge Keep were also rewarding in their own rights.
Last edited by tadkins; 09-12-2022 at 04:41 AM..
Old 09-12-2022, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bid for scraps. The 90%+ RA people have so much DKP they take whatever they want. DKP is a system built for neckbeards by neckbeards. Jimmy Warmbody Casual guy saves up his DKP for that one item he absolutely wants, will absolutely get outbid by Johnny Neckbeard and all the while Johnny Neckbeard is scooping up the mid-tier stuff for his alts. 5%ers might get to roll on the rots if they don't spend their DKP on them. GL 5%ers!
lol someones salty they do absolutely nothing for a raid guild and expect loot
Old 09-12-2022, 10:39 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I honestly doubt this. Assuming one can even get into one of the big guilds, I'd imagine most folks in there have amassed so much "DKP" that newcomers would be lucky to get a piece of garbage after a dedicated year of raiding. And anything cool and worthwhile, like an epic? Forget about it.

On a happier note though I did finally accomplish a long time goal a couple days ago.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Got to see my first raids, and earned my first epic, even if they were mostly solo. I never knew Plane of Hate could be such a cool zone. Dark, ominous, and a little confusing. I think it's my favorite in the game now next to Neriak.

I know it may not mean much considering this is on Live, but I am proud and happy of that accomplishment. So much so that I've locked my exp there at 60 so I can enjoy my epic pet as long as possible. It's something I would have absolutely loved to do on P99 but years of trying to find a good guild or community to jive with ended in nothing but failure, and the top dogs of the server would never allow me to do anything more ambitious than a derv camp, or have the privileged honor of porting the "real players" to their epic adventures.
You can just ignore DSM, he generally just disagrees with people just for the sake of doing it.

In the big guilds it will depend on their loot policy, but yes if you want to be getting the better gear that drops you've got a trek to build up DKP which cannot really be done casually (unless you're willing for it to take a really long time). Lower tier items probably easier to get casually.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:40 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol someones salty they do absolutely nothing for a raid guild and expect loot
Also ignore this guy. He was kicked from all the raiding guilds lmao
Old 09-12-2022, 10:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can just ignore DSM, he generally just disagrees with people just for the sake of doing it.
cd288 is just mad because he was proven wrong in another thread. He hasn't recovered yet, so please ignore his silly comments regarding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gaining DKP can be done casually in big guilds now that the mandatory raid attendance has dropped.

Being in a big guild means you have more opportunities for raid targets because they can kill everything that spawns, and generally take a good portion of the kills. This means you have more chances for a target to be available when you are.

Not only that, but guilds have options to gain DKP outside of raids. You can camp items like Shiny Brass Idol or Scepter of the Forlorn, you can level guild bots, etc.

You can get some great loot for cheap because most of the hardcore raiders are gunning for big ticket items like Vulak loot. They typically think twice about a lot of loot, either because they already have it, or they don't want to shrink their DKP they can dump on something big.

In terms of Epics specifically, it depends on the Epic. Obviously Mage Epic is going to go for a lot, but that is true in all guilds on the server, unless your guild does /random. I have seen Child's Tear go for 10 DKP or less plenty of times, it is practically given away. That is an easy 100k item for real cheap. For reference, you get 1-6 DKP per encounter, depending on what happened. A kill is 3 DKP, so you only need to have attended 4 raid kills and you can already get a great item if it goes for cheap, or you would just need to do some camping/leveling work, or whatever else is posted as a DKP work order.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-12-2022 at 11:06 AM..
Old 09-12-2022, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
cd288 is just mad because he was proven wrong in another thread. He hasn't recovered yet, so please ignore his silly comments regarding me.

Gaining DKP can be done casually in big guilds now that the mandatory raid attendance has dropped.

Being in a big guild means you have more opportunities for raid targets because they can kill everything that spawns, and generally take a good portion of the kills. This means you have more chances for a target to be available when you are.

Not only that, but guilds have options to gain DKP outside of raids. You can camp items like Shiny Brass Idol or Scepter of the Forlorn, you can level guild bots, etc.

You can get some great loot for cheap because most of the hardcore raiders are gunning for big ticket items like Vulak loot. They typically think twice about a lot of loot, either because they already have it, or they don't want to shrink their DKP they can dump on something big.

In terms of Epics specifically, it depends on the Epic. Obviously Mage Epic is going to go for a lot, but that is true in all guilds on the server, unless your guild does /random. I have seen Child's Tear go for 10 DKP or less plenty of times, it is practically given away. That is an easy 100k item for real cheap. For reference, you get 1-6 DKP per encounter, depending on what happened. A kill is 3 DKP, so you only need to have attended 4 raid kills and you can already get a great item if it goes for cheap, or you would just need to do some camping/leveling work, or whatever else is posted as a DKP work order.
TLDR:

No raid attendance requirements, but you still have to accumulate a large amount of DKP if you really want to acquire any of the good stuff. And in order to acquire said large amount of DKP you have to spend hours showing up to many raids, leveling guild bots, spend hours tracking spawns, camping super long camps, etc.

If you don't care about getting top end loot then you can raid casually in most of the top raiding guilds (i.e., you can join raids and see content if that's all you care about). If you care about good loot, then no you can't do that "casually"...it will still take a time and effort commitment of many many hours.
Old 09-12-2022, 12:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
TLDR:

No raid attendance requirements, but you still have to accumulate a large amount of DKP if you really want to acquire any of the good stuff. And in order to acquire said large amount of DKP you have to spend hours showing up to many raids, leveling guild bots, spend hours tracking spawns, camping super long camps, etc.

If you don't care about getting top end loot then you can raid casually in most of the top raiding guilds (i.e., you can join raids and see content if that's all you care about). If you care about good loot, then no you can't do that "casually"...it will still take a time and effort commitment of many many hours.
It depends on what you define as "good stuff". If you want Vulak loot, then yeah you won't be able to get it as a casual player. But this is true of the small guilds too, since they can't kill Vulak. You have no chance at Vulak loot as a casual player either way, unless you get insanely lucky on a server event where they /random all the loot.

Plenty of good gear goes for cheap, and that gear is going to typically be better than what you can get in a casual guild, because they secure less kills on average. This means you have less gear options, and what does drop will be taken by the players with more DKP in those casual guilds anyway. It doesn't take that long to get 100 DKP if you play casually. But it does depend on what you mean by casual. If you are playing 1 hour a week, you aren't really getting much of anything in general, even just doing group content.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-12-2022 at 01:00 PM..