Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Old 04-25-2022, 08:34 PM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Default Hardware Donations

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to post a quick note to the community about hardware donations. While the project does receive a steady income of donations to cover most costs, there are some of you that have inquired about what kind of hardware we'd be looking for, which may be helpful before needing to spend any of that money.

In 2019, shortly before Green launched, we purchased a brand new HPE Gen10 server which is currently dedicated to hosting our production game databases and the Green server. That server is solid and will last us for some time.

Other than that server, however, we are running on a hodgepodge of used hardware consisting of Cisco UCS M3 and Dell R710. While Green and Blue run on physical hardware (Green on the HPE Gen10, Blue on a Cisco UCS M3 C220), the rest of the servers are in a VMWare Cluster. This includes virtual machines running Red Game Server, P99 Website, EQEmu Website, EQEmu Loginserver, Wiki Website, Replication Databases, Backup Jobs, and our Backend system (Used for logs and CSR Tools).

Cisco UCS M3 and Dell R710 both went end of sale in 2016. To give you an idea, the UCS Server's CIMC Interface (The motherboard management) utilizes a flash interface, which is not possible to access on modern browsers. Cisco has no plans to provide a firmware update to resolve this (Basically: Tough shit, upgrade your hardware).

This hardware has served us well over the years, but it is starting to show it's age. We're beginning to see some instability, particularly with the Cisco UCS that is acting as our SAN right now.

Let me be clear about this post though, we are not currently in a predicament or begging for help. We are simply evaluating our options to replace some of this hardware, and felt that a post might be a good idea before we start looking to spend thousands of dollars on hardware. We've always made sure to spend the Donation money sparingly and intelligently.

So, if you are in a position that gives you access to, or the ability, to donate relatively newer/used enterprise level hardware, please reach out to me on Discord.

Thanks!

Project 1999 Setup Guide
Old 04-26-2022, 08:37 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-26-2022, 12:07 PM
Planar Protector

Thanks for sharing some info about the project we all enjoy so much.

I might be able to acquire some not-quite-so-old enterprise hardware.
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 04-26-2022 at 12:10 PM..
Old 04-26-2022, 12:10 PM
Banned

Finish making Charm and Spell Interrupts classic. They're both overpowered and broken currently.
Old 04-26-2022, 01:36 PM
Large Rat

Not sure if current thought process or rules would consider name or race changes for donations? My dark elf necro would like some iksar loving!

Just a thought, no bullets please [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-26-2022, 06:12 PM
Aviak

Pretty neat.. I work on that kind of stuff at work but I don't think they would give me any of it lol
Old 04-27-2022, 01:36 AM
Aviak

Sounds like a Green 2.0 plan is about all I really understood
Old 04-27-2022, 05:36 AM
Sarnak

Curious why red server still deserves it's own server? only 10 players online atm. Why not at least make it a teams server (good races vs evil) ? The current red server is just a place for griefers to feel like they have a life.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Curious why red server still deserves it's own server? only 10 players online atm. Why not at least make it a teams server (good races vs evil) ? The current red server is just a place for griefers to feel like they have a life.
Dude, the same shit could be said about Blue. After all, why have 2 separate servers with same rule set at the same patch level. Plenty of reasons to play Red… actually 1 more reason than blues / greens can list, which is the occasional PVP. Red even has exp bonus, making it a better choice for casual levelers that actually have a life, contrary to your assessment. So maybe fuck off with all the Red hate & go back to waiting in your bread line on blue / green.

I like the teams idea though!

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 04-27-2022, 06:24 PM
Fire Giant

I hope you find the hardware you need. Thanks for keeping us up and running!