Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-04-2022, 11:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not everyone can become strong. I prefer a world where we have compassion and empathy for one another. With order and stability and a place in it for everyone, even the weak.
You can't ever demand or expect compassion.

It's an illusion within an authoritarian system.

Real compassion does exist on red99 tho. Having real players invested in the game and servers health come to my aid, not forced, not because of a job, or duty, because it was the right thing to do. That is special.

There aren't enough GMs heavily invested in integrity. Granted most if not all have been mostly alright, despite their failings.... there really just isn't enough, and who checks the people checking? Or the people checking the checkers?

Everyone should be able to enforce the rules tho.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:41 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can't ever demand or expect compassion.
I can expect a basic level of it in an organized society. We all pay to maintain it after all. I wouldn't be getting the help I'm currently receiving in your desired world and I would probably be dead in a ditch from starvation by now.

It's the same with this game. I joined knowing there are rules and GMs who enforce them. If folks want to grief me, then I can continue on confidently knowing there is a recourse against that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Real compassion does exist on red99 tho. Having real players invested in the game and servers health come to my aid, not forced, not because of a job, or duty, because it was the right thing to do. That is special.
I think if that were true, Red would have a much healthier population than it currently does. Something doesn't add up there though.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:47 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not everyone can become strong. I prefer a world where we have compassion and empathy for one another. With order and stability and a place in it for everyone, even the weak.
It's not weak. Evolution has selected for those traits and that's why the vast majority of us exhibit them. They are a very successful solution to the challenges posed by nature.

A horse is born able to walk. A whale is born able to swim. A human is born able to request help.

These online anarchists espouse a desire to live that way where their behavior has limited repercussions. They are truly hot house flowers that can't enact their detached, fictional, dog-eat-dog ideology in the real world because sociopaths truly exist there and they get weeded out very quickly without a state/king/strongman to allow them to exist.

Let's hope they never have to experience in real life what they are so quick to advocate for online.

I just want to thank everyone again for taking the time to read the thread and input their perspectives. You folks are great!
Old 10-04-2022, 11:50 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrostoa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's hope they never have to experience in real life what they are so quick to advocate for online.
Hear hear. Reading that sort of thing gets depressing, but then I remind myself that we don't actually live in that sort of world and I feel thankful. xD
Old 10-05-2022, 12:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrostoa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
without a state/king/strongman to allow them to exist.
Very tldr drug post about whales walking. This part is highly accurate tho.

The young people of this world raging at their employers and politicians and parents to fix their problems....

Is directly analogous...and I'm sure the GMs feel this deeply aswell from their perspective. I doubt they will confirm however.

Yes phsychos exist. They are definitely only further emboldened when handed UN leadership and given rotational priority over select mobs through either some lottery systems or easily gamable or scriptable FTE system. Make them also the leadership of only like the three main large zerg guilds dominating the system and its easy to see why the aforementioned proponents of this system suffer Stockholm syndrome and are gaslighting me for suggesting there's a better way outlined by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ himself. Who went into the temple and cast out the usurers.
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-05-2022 at 12:14 AM..
Old 10-05-2022, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
The young people of this world raging at their employers and politicians and parents to fix their problems....
Why not? Those employers and politicians and parents all built a world where these problems exist. Young people today don't get the same opportunities they had, of course they're going to rage and try to get them fixed.

Quote:
Yes phsychos exist. They are definitely only further emboldened when handed UN leadership and given rotational priority over select mobs through either some lottery systems or easily gamable or scriptable FTE system. Make them also the leadership of only like the three main large zero guilds dominating the system and its easy to see why the aforementioned proponents of this system suffer Stockholm syndrome and are gaslighting me for suggesting there's a better way outlined by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ himself. Who went into the temple and cast out the usurers.
I won't disagree that the current endgame system is pretty messed up, and I wish we had a more cooperative server where everyone got a chance to fight a dragon. Turning it into a big FFA mess isn't the answer though.

For the record, you can declare Jesus as your lord, but he sure as hell ain't mine. Let's get that clear.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:41 AM
Planar Protector

All I'm suggesting is that for a time a fresh red 2.0 FFA server will be more socially dynamic and interesting. And ppl will still form an in group getting all the pixels in the end, yes. I'll admit to that.

For a time though.

It would be glorious.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:50 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
All I'm suggesting is that for a time a fresh red 2.0 FFA server will be more socially dynamic and interesting. And ppl will still form an in group getting all the pixels in the end, yes. I'll admit to that.

For a time though.

It would be glorious.
Way back in the day I played on Sullon Zek when it first opened (was way younger back then, far different mindset lols) which is exactly what you described.

They eventually had to implement rules when one dude flagrantly exploited the no-rule policy (Fansy the Famous Bard). It was also the lowest pop server during its lifetime by far.

Just based off experience, I don't really think such a server would work out here. Maybe the GMs will put in the work to make it at some point though.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:06 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Way back in the day I played on Sullon Zek when it first opened (was way younger back then, far different mindset lols) which is exactly what you described.

They eventually had to implement rules when one dude flagrantly exploited the no-rule policy (Fansy the Famous Bard). It was also the lowest pop server during its lifetime by far.

Just based off experience, I don't really think such a server would work out here. Maybe the GMs will put in the work to make it at some point though.
Just remember. Fansy was team good. The underdog. Fighting against all odds for a better Norrath. Dominated by team evul.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:26 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Why not? Those employers and politicians and parents all built a world where these problems exist. Young people today don't get the same opportunities they had, of course, they're going to rage and try to get them fixed
For real.

The US borrowed heavily to build schools, parks, pools, housing, universities, and trade schools, just to name a few, for Boomers. In the 60s the cost of world-class universities like UC Berkeley, for both undergrad and graduate school combined would cost 5-7k adjusted for inflation and they had a 76% acceptance rate.

Then those Boomers got their educations, their homes, etc, and then pulled up the ladder after them after the passage of the Civil Rights Act and other legislation. Then those pools were filled in, literally. The parks were demolished, literally. College Education was made expensive by allowing usurers to take over the funding. Single-family housing became a preferred way to buy votes from Boomer homeowners who saw their value increase exponentially from perennial housing shortages. Wages were decoupled from productivity in the mid-70s to allow our CEOs to make 381 times what their workers earn while the average American makes less today, adjusted for inflation than they did in the 70s. The 1% redistributed $50 trillion from the bottom 90% over the last 50 years. All that wealth allowed them to buy politicians to rewrite the law to the point where Jeff Bezos can claim and RECEIVE the child tax credit meant for folks who make less than $35k. That isn't an exaggeration. It happened in 2013.

All that the young folk want is what was given to Boomers by the Greatest Generation without the redlining, the separate drinking fountains, and the like. And they especially don't want to become serfs to neofeudalist lords.

And that perspective is brought you to by a conservative Repub of 20 years who doesn't go in for billionaire propaganda. I ain't no communist. Though, if the successor to ITER does become reality and automation/ai continues on its current trajectory so that energy and labor become practically free, that could change.

Just my 2 cents. Love all the opinions expressed.