Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 09-20-2022, 03:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Leaked by devs / GMs to their friends, word of mouth afterward.
I agree. Aint no way I believe people figure this stuff out.

"I'm gonna wait here for the 4th NPC to appear, and then I'll give them this item that took a raid to get to see what happens."

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-20-2022, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmize [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Always been curious - how did the first people to get their epics figure out the quests? I assume no guides were out at the time since no one had figured it out yet. Did they really figure it out all by themselves? Similarly, what about the first players of EQ - how did they figure out where to level, quests, etc. Anyone here been on since Day 1?
The devs played and there was some clue gathering done on the EQ sponsored websites like everlore people did get hints in the patch notes as well. At the end of the day, leaks is your answer.
Old 09-20-2022, 02:47 PM
Large Rat

My husband was the first person to get the wizard epic (first on any server) and I can assure you the devs did not help him in any way.
Old 09-20-2022, 03:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysea79 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My husband was the first person to get the wizard epic (first on any server) and I can assure you the devs did not help him in any way.
Does he happen to remember, when needing to give the guy 1000 plat, was there text that actually cited how much to give him, or was it just trial and error throwing hella money at the guy?
Old 09-21-2022, 08:57 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kich867 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Does he happen to remember, when needing to give the guy 1000 plat, was there text that actually cited how much to give him, or was it just trial and error throwing hella money at the guy?
I asked him last night and he laughed and reminded me that it was 20 years ago that we played (oh I feel dated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]) He says he just remembers how terrifying it was turning in items and not knowing if it was correct and if he would just lose them all. I think at one point there was some write ups on when he finished it...but I haven't had a chance to google. His character name was Occy.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:59 PM
Aviak

A lot of quests (not just epics) were likely leaked or written up from the test server. Without some sort of leak or guidance there would be almost no way to figure out some of them.

For example, the Veeshan's Peak key requires killing Pained Soul. The PH for Pained Soul is just some random ghost in an area full of random ghosts in Trak's Tooth on a 6 minute timer. Pained Soul is super rare and might spawn once in a 24 hour period after consistently killing his PH. There is no way someone just randomly picked that one ghost and camped him for days on end to finish the quest, without some sort of hunch or understanding that this was the specific PH.
Old 09-27-2022, 01:29 PM
Planar Protector

Sometimes it worked backwards. Lot of those types of areas weren't deserted like they are on P99, and folks trying to make experience would get a drop that they had no idea of the use of. For Pained Soul, medallions were obvious enough to someone doing the quest that as soon as someone posted someplace that this mob dropped some unknown medallion, that would've been all that was needed for it to rapidly turn into common public knowledge.

The epics, my understanding is that some of them were solved via a combination of community effort and brute-forcing trigger phrases, while some of the tougher ones needed a bit of quiet leaking or developer "help" before they got figured out. The epic quests definitely are not created equal.

Worst was original Fiery Avenger, quest was completely broken but devs said it was in and working so a lot of folks spent a lot of effort going noplace. The devs were not always to be trusted, something that bears rememberance when researching old posts for P99 purposes.

Danth
Old 09-27-2022, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meathook [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of quests (not just epics) were likely leaked or written up from the test server. Without some sort of leak or guidance there would be almost no way to figure out some of them.

For example, the Veeshan's Peak key requires killing Pained Soul. The PH for Pained Soul is just some random ghost in an area full of random ghosts in Trak's Tooth on a 6 minute timer. Pained Soul is super rare and might spawn once in a 24 hour period after consistently killing his PH. There is no way someone just randomly picked that one ghost and camped him for days on end to finish the quest, without some sort of hunch or understanding that this was the specific PH.
Disagree, it's completely plausible. Back when kunark came out people were largely pretty naive about the game, and combined with the high server pops at the time they'd do things like form pickup groups in TT at the ruins around seb. The pained soul PH is static and doesn't roam, so it stands to reason that somebody just noticed one day while camping in that area that he popped right there and they made note of it.
Old 09-30-2022, 04:49 PM
Planar Protector

Yup. Pained soul is one of the least relevant examples here. People would camp those ruins and just clear all the spectral guys. Eventually you’d get a pained soul.

probably took awhile for anyone to realize it only ever spawned off that one specific PH
Old 10-25-2022, 01:01 AM
Large Rat

I was actually running to Seb one day on Green and ran right by PS. (Yes needed the medalion)