Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 08-27-2022, 07:30 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via AIM to Knuckle
Default 100k to make a monk twink - solo only

Hey everybody.
Just wondering what the best way to spend 100k making a twink monk would be, with the goal being strongest solo capable build for leveling. I figure I can subtract 60k out for the fungi tunic, and that leaves me 40k for the rest. I am not even sure if 2h or 1hb dual wield would be best value in this budget range.

Notables:
I already have a FBSS I can move to the toon.
I have a box of abu kar for 1 100% weight bag.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:52 PM
Fire Giant

With that budget, 1-20 just use something under the damage caps, like Jade maces. 20+ Peacebringer. Use the rest for 30%+ haste item.

Soloing 2hb is always better, except at low levels when the damage caps are too low.

With a fungi you'll just face roll to 55/56 then it gets trickier.
Old 08-27-2022, 09:24 PM
Planar Protector

FBSS sucks. Its only 21%. Sell it for 2x 65 hp rings.

(4k) Imbued Fighters Staff (lighter than Peacebringer, I cannot believe its 2022 and dipshits are still recommending PB to monks) + (24k) Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt (34%) + (60k, maybe 55k) Fungi.

Whatever you have left get some light weight STR / HP gear and a Large Soiled Bag. Between that and your Box of Abu that should cover all your weight. Never ever go above the weight penalty if solo, and make sure your agi is above 75 w/ the fungi on. It makes a difference.

Don't worry about acquiring 1 handers unless they fall into your lap. You'll blow through the early levels so fast you won't notice a difference.

If you're a true autist you can unequip the slow IFS between swings and get "free" fist attacks but I don't recommend it...just the same as I don't recommend shaman worrying about canni dancing.

Leveling path: Warrens (free hole key before you leave) 1-20--> Perma 20-30/32 --> CT 30/32-43 (the temple area is literally a cow level of XP) --> w/e the hell you wanna do after that its gonna slow down some. Just abuse those insanely high ZEM dungeons. You'll have it mostly to yourself and if you happen to come across other brave adventurer(s) reward them for taking on a more challenging route with your godlike twinkage and group up for a bit to cut down on the monotony.

Macro forage in w/ some commonly used button. Should keep you going w/o ever having to go back to town.

Use stonestance and mend basically on cooldown unless you're anticipating some butt pucker pull / spawn.

Also if you can, shelve the monk at 50 (1-50 is the most fun anyway) til you can do a full epic mq. I can't imagine soloing a monk to 60 w/o epic.

You're welcome.
Last edited by Toxigen; 08-27-2022 at 09:53 PM..
Old 08-28-2022, 10:10 AM
Fire Giant

Join riot or vanquish.
Spend whatever time you were going to stuffing about with a mediocre dogshit monk, tracking mobs.

After 2 wks of very casual play buy him a Zlandi talisman for ST key.
Then save dkp for a primal 2hb, farm dkp to buy sellable shit like AoN's, sell them and buy priceless 1hb and scale loot rights. -> Level your monk with essence mace and priceless 1hb, primal in bank at the ready.

Or do the same, buy him a VP key after +-1 day of dkp.

Buy him a torsmang staff, and a dain crown, and save for aow legs showing up to non slowable mobs on a shaman or whatever your main is (bonus points for halfling druid).

Your 100k is just for fungi, cloak of flames and a tink bag. Rest is irrelevent vendor trash.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
FBSS sucks. Its only 21%. Sell it for 2x 65 hp rings.

(4k) Imbued Fighters Staff (lighter than Peacebringer, I cannot believe its 2022 and dipshits are still recommending PB to monks) + (24k) Spiked Seahorse Hide Belt (34%) + (60k, maybe 55k) Fungi.

Whatever you have left get some light weight STR / HP gear and a Large Soiled Bag. Between that and your Box of Abu that should cover all your weight. Never ever go above the weight penalty if solo, and make sure your agi is above 75 w/ the fungi on. It makes a difference.

Don't worry about acquiring 1 handers unless they fall into your lap. You'll blow through the early levels so fast you won't notice a difference.

If you're a true autist you can unequip the slow IFS between swings and get "free" fist attacks but I don't recommend it...just the same as I don't recommend shaman worrying about canni dancing.

Leveling path: Warrens (free hole key before you leave) 1-20--> Perma 20-30/32 --> CT 30/32-43 (the temple area is literally a cow level of XP) --> w/e the hell you wanna do after that its gonna slow down some. Just abuse those insanely high ZEM dungeons. You'll have it mostly to yourself and if you happen to come across other brave adventurer(s) reward them for taking on a more challenging route with your godlike twinkage and group up for a bit to cut down on the monotony.

Macro forage in w/ some commonly used button. Should keep you going w/o ever having to go back to town.

Use stonestance and mend basically on cooldown unless you're anticipating some butt pucker pull / spawn.

Also if you can, shelve the monk at 50 (1-50 is the most fun anyway) til you can do a full epic mq. I can't imagine soloing a monk to 60 w/o epic.

You're welcome.
Great info - I forgot I also have the large soiled bag as well already, sounds like im good on that stuff. How much should I set aside for potions like SoW/Gate/Damage shield? Are they worth the effort or cost inefficient for duration.

Is spiked seahorse belt your recommendation for haste for any specific reasons, is it the cheapest 34% haste?

Good call on Warrens, completely forgot its late velious....freaking stonebrunt is out forgot that was a pre luclin zone lol.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:35 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
(4k) Imbued Fighters Staff (lighter than Peacebringer, I cannot believe its 2022 and dipshits are still recommending PB to monks)
Well, if he goes the IFS route, it is pretty heavily damage capped til 30, so he should use a Wu's quivering staff or peacebringer from 20-29. Peacebringer is also 1/4 the price of IFS and he's on a budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is spiked seahorse belt your recommendation for haste for any specific reasons, is it the cheapest 34% haste?
Seahorse Belt is good and widely available. Cocw is fine as well, but has worse stats. Shroud of the dar broud is an easy pick up if your guild does zlandi. Whatever you can acquire easily.

You really don't need to overthink this. Monk with a fungi is pretty straightforward and with a decent haste item and ~1k in weapons, you will just destroy until 55 or so. Go explore the world and enjoy the ride. My only advice is to try to work on bind wound when you can to make it less tedious later on.
Old 08-28-2022, 07:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, if he goes the IFS route, it is pretty heavily damage capped til 30, so he should use a Wu's quivering staff or peacebringer from 20-29. Peacebringer is also 1/4 the price of IFS and he's on a budget.

Seahorse Belt is good and widely available. Cocw is fine as well, but has worse stats. Shroud of the dar broud is an easy pick up if your guild does zlandi. Whatever you can acquire easily.

You really don't need to overthink this. Monk with a fungi is pretty straightforward and with a decent haste item and ~1k in weapons, you will just destroy until 55 or so. Go explore the world and enjoy the ride. My only advice is to try to work on bind wound when you can to make it less tedious later on.
I have time to kill while i grind the plat, I like preparing and optimizing. I've played monk several times but never done a solo run with twink gear, so trying to get my monies worth. Good to know on that shroud/cocw, i think i'd shoot for whatever is the highest haste for lowest dollar is what it sounds like unless the stats are a huge difference maker.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:22 PM
Fire Giant

Right on. You will definitely get your monies worth. Jade Maces/Wu's/IFS + fungi + spiked seahorse belt is a good start.

For other gear, just focus HP. In addition to being the best stat, it double dips with bind wound and mend as you know. I'd also suggest a few rings of shadow for getting around. Speaking of useful 0.1 and 0.0 weight items, Lionhide Backpack is a cheap bag for holding them. As for pots, I'd just get SoW pots or jboots, and if you ever find yourself dealing with dmg shields (e.g. sol a gnomes), a bag of pumice stones goes a long way. DMG shield pots might be useful 46-50 when the leveling spots get a bit weird, but not required.
Old 08-29-2022, 07:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great info - I forgot I also have the large soiled bag as well already, sounds like im good on that stuff. How much should I set aside for potions like SoW/Gate/Damage shield? Are they worth the effort or cost inefficient for duration.

Good call on Warrens, completely forgot its late velious....freaking stonebrunt is out forgot that was a pre luclin zone lol.
Seahorse belt b/c its the cheapest 34% and it also weighs 0.

DS pots are worth it, albeit not needed at all. Its just basically a NOS button. I used 'em on my paladin which is obviously a much bigger % difference in dps, but would still work wonders for a solo monk. Chug one at full HP w/ mend up and just go bonkers til it expires, then go sit somewhere safe and get back up to full and do it again.

Its never a bad idea to keep a stack of SoW pots on you, 4 invis rings, a WC cap, reaper, all that stuff too. You may not ever truly "need" them but if you're going twink why not have the luxury items too. Just remember to stay under the weight limit!
Last edited by Toxigen; 08-29-2022 at 07:10 AM..
Old 08-29-2022, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah with that kind of budget: seahorse belt, fungi, imbued fighters staff. Spend the rest on some cheap filler gear and creature comforts and save for epic MQ
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2