Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-20-2022, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who is hugely against roll loot is way too addicted to this game and needs to step back.
This is such a silly quote. If you are a casual raider, you are relying on the people who put more time into the game to organize the raid and get your loot. If everybody took that advice, nobody would be raiding lol.

Telling people to stop playing the game is not the same as saying roll guilds are good. The reality is you depend on the highly invested raiders, and they need to get rewarded to continue operating in your guild.

This is why roll guilds never get big. The players who put in the time don't get compensated fairly due to RNG.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:27 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

I remember back on live being in a Family / Casual guild doing good targets ( HoT VP random dragons) with a need before greed. You link your slot item Guild officer vote on upgrades, but if you get one item don't expect the next caster only item to fall into your hands! Doubt any guilds like that anymore lol.
Old 09-28-2022, 09:54 AM
Planar Protector

DKP is the most fair system, however it does tend to shut out players who can only raid a few times a month. When you won't get any items for many months it definitely makes you feel like why bother at all.

Fact is P99 raiding is pretty much only for nerds with way too much time on their hands who can schedule their life around a video game. That's just something you have to accept if you want to play here.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fact is P99 raiding is pretty much only for nerds with way too much time on their hands who can schedule their life around a video game. That's just something you have to accept if you want to play here.
Basically /thread. You can use "unemployed" or "children" interchangeably with "nerds" here
Old 09-28-2022, 03:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
DKP is the most fair system, however it does tend to shut out players who can only raid a few times a month. When you won't get any items for many months it definitely makes you feel like why bother at all.

This is Everquest ... most decent raid loot does literally take months to get even if you are in a top guild. You have to first get the mob, then it has to drop the loot you want, then you have to bid enough DKP or win your random against 60+ other people. That's a lot of conditions that have to be met especially on contested mobs that only spawn once or twice a week with a chance of spawning outside of your playtime. Any seasoned EQ player knows and accepts this but still finds ways to enjoy the game and raiding experience.

The second part of your statement is unequivocally false as many of us fairly casual raiders with work and family can attest. There are a handful of neckbeards left on this server that carry a lot of the weight when it comes to off-hours tracking, but there is tons of room in raiding for casual players in the current environment. If you define casual as 2 hours a week, then there really isn't much of a chance of any kind of loot from even regular named mobs so it's not worth discussing. I play mostly in the evenings a few times a week after my family goes to bed and while I work on language lessons or catch up on market news and I find plenty of places to earn DKP and get to kill quite a few dragons a month. Do I occassionally dedicate some weekend time to a quake? Absolutely, because I enjoy it and it's a great chance to rack up some quick DKP. I may not get to use that DKP on what I really want for a couple months, but it will still be there when I need it and I'm also helping friends and guildies get things they've probably been waiting months for as well.

Life is about time management and trade-offs with what you want to do vs. what you need to do, and for some people, EQ won't ever really fit your schedule (demanding job(s), demanding wife, bunch of kids, prefers to sleep), and that's not really different from almost any recreational activity. I somehow manage to kill dragons and earn DKP by doing things like camping idols, tracking for an hour or two, killing dragons, and helping with logistics for the guild all while never missing my kid's sports games or academic activities and going on dates with my wife and outdoor trips with the boys, but according to the naysayers around here none of this is possible. This is probably the most casual-friendly time period in P99's history with increased quakes, multiple draft weeks, no RA for top guilds, new member DKP bonuses, etc...so if you think you'll never see dragons or raid gear at this point, you're probably right because you have to put such little effort in at this point, that I'm going to say you're just making excuses and not even trying.

There is definitely a correlation between the time invested vs. reward here, but if you know you're a casual then why are you going into raiding thinking it won't take you longer to achieve your goals in the first place? If it took you a year+ to get to 60 on your first toon, how can you really expect a bunch of top loot in a couple of months? This has never been a game of quick rewards unless you play on a custom or instanced server. The more time you spend sitting on the sidelines complaining about the neckbeards, not earning DKP or getting to random on loot, the less likely it is to happen. With a DKP guild you can slowly accumulate your points when you CAN play and they'll still be there when you get a chance to spend them. Your other option is to sit in a random loot guild and hope against all odds that you can snipe that one piece of loot you want, when it does happen to drop, from the 30, 40, and 50+ other people hoping to snipe it, too.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TK- [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is Everquest ... most decent raid loot does literally take months to get even if you are in a top guild. You have to first get the mob, then it has to drop the loot you want, then you have to bid enough DKP or win your random against 60+ other people. That's a lot of conditions that have to be met especially on contested mobs that only spawn once or twice a week with a chance of spawning outside of your playtime. Any seasoned EQ player knows and accepts this but still finds ways to enjoy the game and raiding experience.

The second part of your statement is unequivocally false as many of us fairly casual raiders with work and family can attest. There are a handful of neckbeards left on this server that carry a lot of the weight when it comes to off-hours tracking, but there is tons of room in raiding for casual players in the current environment. If you define casual as 2 hours a week, then there really isn't much of a chance of any kind of loot from even regular named mobs so it's not worth discussing. I play mostly in the evenings a few times a week after my family goes to bed and while I work on language lessons or catch up on market news and I find plenty of places to earn DKP and get to kill quite a few dragons a month. Do I occassionally dedicate some weekend time to a quake? Absolutely, because I enjoy it and it's a great chance to rack up some quick DKP. I may not get to use that DKP on what I really want for a couple months, but it will still be there when I need it and I'm also helping friends and guildies get things they've probably been waiting months for as well.

Life is about time management and trade-offs with what you want to do vs. what you need to do, and for some people, EQ won't ever really fit your schedule (demanding job(s), demanding wife, bunch of kids, prefers to sleep), and that's not really different from almost any recreational activity. I somehow manage to kill dragons and earn DKP by doing things like camping idols, tracking for an hour or two, killing dragons, and helping with logistics for the guild all while never missing my kid's sports games or academic activities and going on dates with my wife and outdoor trips with the boys, but according to the naysayers around here none of this is possible. This is probably the most casual-friendly time period in P99's history with increased quakes, multiple draft weeks, no RA for top guilds, new member DKP bonuses, etc...so if you think you'll never see dragons or raid gear at this point, you're probably right because you have to put such little effort in at this point, that I'm going to say you're just making excuses and not even trying.

There is definitely a correlation between the time invested vs. reward here, but if you know you're a casual then why are you going into raiding thinking it won't take you longer to achieve your goals in the first place? If it took you a year+ to get to 60 on your first toon, how can you really expect a bunch of top loot in a couple of months? This has never been a game of quick rewards unless you play on a custom or instanced server. The more time you spend sitting on the sidelines complaining about the neckbeards, not earning DKP or getting to random on loot, the less likely it is to happen. With a DKP guild you can slowly accumulate your points when you CAN play and they'll still be there when you get a chance to spend them. Your other option is to sit in a random loot guild and hope against all odds that you can snipe that one piece of loot you want, when it does happen to drop, from the 30, 40, and 50+ other people hoping to snipe it, too.
Copium.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Copium.
I don't think you know what that term means...
Old 10-05-2022, 03:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think you know what that term means...
IMO If you are scheduling your life around a video game you are no longer casual.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by jolanar; 10-05-2022 at 03:21 PM..
Old 10-06-2022, 11:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
IMO If you are scheduling your life around a video game you are no longer casual.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is a really strange thing to say.

So you're going to call someone a neckbeard if they don't have plans on like a Thursday night so they decide to be home by like 8 PM to do a raid?
Old 10-06-2022, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're better off being in a real raid guild with DKP even with low raid attendance as a casual player, your one to two hours at a time is still fine. If anything you can get a lot more value out of that one or two hours in a hyper efficient hardcore guild than wasting half of it in a casual roll for loot crew that is likely to wipe more and spend more time waiting to be ready for things.

But no one ever wants to hear it, everyone thinks you can't succeed in the top guilds here with low playtimes, but they are wrong. If your playtimes were 1-2 hours per WEEK then sure, but you'd also likely get nothing in a casual raid guild that way either.
+1 this

I barely play and I got dragon loot in Kingdom B) B)