Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 08-02-2022, 11:46 AM
Orc

Default Any roll for loot guilds on Green?

Hey folks. I've played off and on since Green was born and have 3 characters in the 50s. I have a busy life that limits my availability for raids, etc but I am able to play a lot, just mostly 1 to 2 hours at a time. When I arrange time to go on a raid with my guildies I want the same chance at loot as anyone else on the raid. I hate camping dungeons for 6 hours just to have the guild elites with thousands of points to spend grabbing all the loot they want and those of us that can't raid as often only get the stuff no one else wants. Are there any guilds on Green that use random loot for raids, etc?
Old 08-02-2022, 11:57 AM
Large Rat

I think <The Drift> rolls loot
Old 08-02-2022, 03:26 PM
Fire Giant

There is a semi weekly west ToV armor farm that is random for loots,using a pick 3 system.
There is posts about it on this forum.
Dkp isn't all that bad, if you show up and help you'll get loot. Yea highly wanted stuff will goto people who have shown up and contributed more,but you can equip yourself fine as a casual.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:35 PM
Banned

Remember that people who play way more than you, and thus are able to contribute to their guild far more, will also be pretty peeved if some dude who almost never raids wins a roll on something they want. DKP is the standard for a good reason in this game.

Also remember that when somebody with a lot of DKP spends a huge amount on a highly sought after item, they now might have less DKP than you do, depending on the guild. Casuals can accrue hundreds of dkp also, it just takes longer.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algustus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I hate camping dungeons for 6 hours just to have the guild elites with thousands of points to spend grabbing all the loot they want and those of us that can't raid as often only get the stuff no one else wants.
First off, who raids for 6 hours? Not even PoG clear takes that long.

But let's assume you were being rhetorical. You really might want to consider that DKP is better for casual players.

With a roll system you go on raids and have no control over what loot you get. The only way to try and get an item you want is to do that raid more ... which is exactly what you can't do.

But if you just go to whatever raids you can go to, and save enough DKP up, you'll be guaranteed to get whatever item you want when it drops.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 08-02-2022, 03:49 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmcitysking3 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think <The Drift> rolls loot
Thank you!
Old 08-03-2022, 03:59 AM
Planar Protector

No is the simple answer
Frostbane Wolfeye - Green99 - 54 Shaman
Cruetraxa Macequest - Green99 - 60 Necromancer
Snowleopard Wu'Tong - Green99 - 60 Monk
Lobsterhands - Green99 - 55 Cleric
#FreeWuTang
Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM
Planar Protector

You're better off being in a real raid guild with DKP even with low raid attendance as a casual player, your one to two hours at a time is still fine. If anything you can get a lot more value out of that one or two hours in a hyper efficient hardcore guild than wasting half of it in a casual roll for loot crew that is likely to wipe more and spend more time waiting to be ready for things.

But no one ever wants to hear it, everyone thinks you can't succeed in the top guilds here with low playtimes, but they are wrong. If your playtimes were 1-2 hours per WEEK then sure, but you'd also likely get nothing in a casual raid guild that way either.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooloo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Remember that people who play way more than you, and thus are able to contribute to their guild far more, will also be pretty peeved if some dude who almost never raids wins a roll on something they want. DKP is the standard for a good reason in this game.

Also remember that when somebody with a lot of DKP spends a huge amount on a highly sought after item, they now might have less DKP than you do, depending on the guild. Casuals can accrue hundreds of dkp also, it just takes longer.
Anyone who is hugely against roll loot is way too addicted to this game and needs to step back
Old 08-04-2022, 11:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who is hugely against roll loot is way too addicted to this game and needs to step back
Or they understand how the game works, and that humans are naturally motivated to help themselves.

To reduce this to the simplest detail possible: some mobs only drop melee gear, some only drop caster. If you are a melee class in a /random loot guild, every raid you go on to a mob that only drops caster loot is time wasted, and vice versa for casters raiding melee mobs. Pretty soon such guilds can't do (say) Vindi: when they try no casters show up, because they have no reason to.

That's just one basic example, but obviously it's not just about melee vs. caster: whatever your class, the majority of mobs won't drop stuff you can use, but they will need a variety of classes to be beaten. Ultimately, the random system is only sustainable for small guilds. If your guild only does stuff like Plane of Sky (where there are drops for everyone) and doesn't do too many epics (so people don't get tired of "wasting" time helping others) then it can be a sustainable model for a guild ...

... but even then, as I pointed out before, it sucks for the casual player, because they can only get gear by going on the raids for "their items" and then winning the random roll. They can't increase their chances of getting said items by attending "worthless" raids, the way members of DKP guilds can.

At the end of the day EQ raiding is about a bunch of people cooperating to get each other loot. A system that encourages such cooperation is going to work better for most ... which is why DKP (or shudder loot councils) are so prevalent.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 08-04-2022 at 12:00 PM..