Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-11-2022, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilzark [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Bard is beast mode when played correctly
You need to be geared with the appropriate lute equipped for beast mode.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 04-30-2022, 10:48 PM
Kobold

if you gonna play monk, just play sk instead. they can do way more, kill much harder things and more hp as large races.

bard is most unique eq class.
Old 05-01-2022, 05:53 AM
Orc

Both classes are fun to play. Have a 48 bard and 41 monk atm. I remember the first 15 or 20 levels on my bard seemed a bit tedious. When I got past that it was great. One of my favorite classes to play. One important thing to know about bards though is you really can't make macros to twist songs. I gave it an honest try and found it to be cumbersome and unreliable. Once you start a macro you can't do much until it's done executing. If you miss a note, your stuck waiting until it's done before you can play another song. Also if there are resists you sometimes need to replay the song if the spell is crucial enough, macros won't let you. I use to use a macro that had speed, levitate for traveling but no longer use since I got my ss boots.
Old 05-31-2022, 05:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you gonna play monk, just play sk instead.
lol no
Old 05-31-2022, 04:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
monk is more forgiving, and less gear dependent. in general is just easier to play when solo.
this might be the dumbest response ive ever seen. you can be naked with store bought instruments on a bard to hit 60.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:18 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Since you’re only level 3 I’d reroll and make an enchanter if you’re not totally set on mage. They can solo way better, farm way bigger items which will result in a lot more pp per hour, and are even more desirable in groups. Playing an enchanter also just makes you a much better player in general. Once you get a few hundred k then start planning your melee builds.
i wouldnt say enchanters solo better than a mage. i play one, you need a ton of charisma gear, and first 45+ levels your charms break too often anyway so it's not very good solo. mage is much easier solo class all the way to 60 and can be naked. Enchanter can solo much harder things at higher level though.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:36 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i wouldnt say enchanters solo better than a mage. i play one, you need a ton of charisma gear, and first 45+ levels your charms break too often anyway so it's not very good solo. mage is much easier solo class all the way to 60 and can be naked. Enchanter can solo much harder things at higher level though.
Mage is definitely easier,at least until 55+. 1-55 on a mage is trivially easy, but mage solo power really drops off once the good guard camps, seafuries, ice giants etc drop off. They can do it just fine just more limited.
Enchanter solo is higher risk but also usually higher reward.
I have both at 60.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:01 PM
Orc

Mage with Fire pet and focus will see you through to 51 easily, then you can just group with friends from there. Plus you get 10 slot 100% wr bags on a budget.
Old 06-28-2022, 12:44 PM
Sarnak

Bard is harder to play but has more of a variety of things to do. They can pretty much do everything fairly well. When played perfect they are devastating solo or in a group. They also don't require a lot of gear.. some instruments, breath of harmony and some hp gear and you're set.

Monk can be very powerful but you would need some solid gear, just like any melee. For all intents and purposes, they are the strongest melee class in this era.

I have played both through the 50s several times.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Enchanter is going to solo better than a mage the entire ride to 60 regardless of gear. You need less than 20k of gear on an enchanter to solo any level appropriate camp. Even at 60 I have horrible gear and can solo all the cash camps that’s any other enchanter can. Less margin for error but doesn’t prohibit you from doing it. Magician is great for farming trivial stuff that your pet can kill but an enchanter is an infinitely better starting character than magician.

I agree with the earlier recommendations to use enchanter to twink your melee characters. It is what I did and it works great.