Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 03-03-2022, 08:59 AM
Large Rat

Default Monk or bard?

Im pretty new i have a lvl 5 mage and im pretty happy with that so far. But the monk looks fun and FD looks helpful i get lost some times running for my life. Now that my mage has pet it should be alot easier. But bard seems fun to, im sure i could use macros for twisting songs and the speed buffs seem nice but im not sure how bards are monks do soloing or grouping. Ill be playing while i work remote so not sure if the can solo.
Old 03-03-2022, 12:25 PM
Aviak

Playing a bard right now. They solo and group pretty well. I've solo'd most of the way to 36. Right now I'm fear kiting (slow a monster, make it run away, run behind while hitting it) but a lot of bards will swarm kite (round up a bunch of monsters, run in a circle while playing an AoE damage song).
Old 03-03-2022, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

Keep going with the mage. Make 150k plat in your journeys. Buy a fungi, cloak of flames, and a T staff. Put on level 1 lizard monk and go conquer the world.
Old 03-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Large Rat

Lol! Cool thanks guys!
Old 03-03-2022, 10:52 PM
Fire Giant

monk is more forgiving, and less gear dependent. in general is just easier to play when solo.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Keep going with the mage. Make 150k plat in your journeys. Buy a fungi, cloak of flames, and a T staff. Put on level 1 lizard monk and go conquer the world.
This is the dream and don't let anybody tell you any different.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 03-05-2022, 11:08 AM
Planar Protector

Since you’re only level 3 I’d reroll and make an enchanter if you’re not totally set on mage. They can solo way better, farm way bigger items which will result in a lot more pp per hour, and are even more desirable in groups. Playing an enchanter also just makes you a much better player in general. Once you get a few hundred k then start planning your melee builds.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:36 AM
Sarnak

Personally, having both a level 55+ bard and monk both I would say I have a lot more fun with my bard. My monk was a blast to level up but at above level 50 bards have a ton more options for what they can do as far as hunting for Plat or soloing xp, or grouping for xp. The bard can play so many different roles in a group depending on the groups class make up that it tends to keep things very interesting. Soloing you can charm, fear kite, face tank (mostly below lvl 50), and swarm. That brings me to my only real suggestion if you play a bard. Do learn to swarm kite as it is fun to get the hang of. But be sure to do the majority of your leveling by grouping. A well played bard will change the tempo of a group by a massive amount if twist the CORRECT songs. Then learn to charm solo in place of swarming. Learning to reverse charm solo will help you understand how to properly Cc in a group playing a bard. Good luck!
Old 03-11-2022, 11:40 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagorf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
monk is more forgiving, and less gear dependent. in general is just easier to play when solo.
I can play my 56 bard with no gear at all with only 10 Plat in vendor bought instruments. My 58 monk however would be completely gimp without his gear. In no way is a bard more gear dependant than a monk.
Old 03-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Fire Giant

Bard is beast mode when played correctly