Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 10-05-2022, 01:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrostoa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For real.

The US borrowed heavily to build schools, parks, pools, housing, universities, and trade schools, just to name a few, for Boomers. In the 60s the cost of world-class universities like UC Berkeley, for both undergrad and graduate school combined would cost 5-7k adjusted for inflation and they had a 76% acceptance rate.

Then those Boomers got their educations, their homes, etc, and then pulled up the ladder after them after the passage of the Civil Rights Act and other legislation. Then those pools were filled in, literally. The parks were demolished, literally. College Education was made expensive by allowing usurers to take over the funding. Single-family housing became a preferred way to buy votes from Boomer homeowners who saw their value increase exponentially from perennial housing shortages. Wages were decoupled from productivity in the mid-70s to allow our CEOs to make 381 times what their workers earn while the average American makes less today, adjusted for inflation than they did in the 70s. The 1% redistributed $50 trillion from the bottom 90% over the last 50 years. All that wealth allowed them to buy politicians to rewrite the law to the point where Jeff Bezos can claim and RECEIVE the child tax credit meant for folks who make less than $35k. That isn't an exaggeration. It happened in 2013.

All that the young folk want is what was given to Boomers by the Greatest Generation without the redlining, the separate drinking fountains, and the like. And they especially don't want to become serfs to neofeudalist lords.

And that perspective is brought you to by a conservative Repub of 20 years who doesn't go in for billionaire propaganda. I ain't no communist. Though, if the successor to ITER does become reality and automation/ai continues on its current trajectory so that energy and labor become practically free, that could change.

Just my 2 cents. Love all the opinions expressed.
Really great post. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:11 AM
Fire Giant

I really didn't expect, or want, this thread to turn into another ringing endorsement of the hypocrisy of world PvP.

World PvP in EQ, just like in WoW, is about griefing. There is nothing more to it than that.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:34 AM
Planar Protector

So if we roll back civil rights we can have all that stuff back?
Old 10-05-2022, 02:35 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just remember. Fansy was team good. The underdog. Fighting against all odds for a better Norrath. Dominated by team evul.
Yes he was. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I was team neutral, I cheered on his efforts against the OP evil team.

Just pointing out that a total no-rules server just wouldn't work. Even that no-rules server eventually had to get rules.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:38 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrostoa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
All that the young folk want is what was given to Boomers by the Greatest Generation without the redlining, the separate drinking fountains, and the like. And they especially don't want to become serfs to neofeudalist lords.
Well said. What we have now is not sustainable.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if we roll back civil rights we can have all that stuff back?
Doesn't look like it. They basically are getting rolled back, and we've gotten squat out of it.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:42 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I really didn't expect, or want, this thread to turn into another ringing endorsement of the hypocrisy of world PvP.

World PvP in EQ, just like in WoW, is about griefing. There is nothing more to it than that.
Let's take wow pve for example I can sit at a spawn point in Nazjatar spamming mind sear instantly tagging mobs and graying them out to other players. Denying ir delaying them the ability to get ex, loot, finishing quests. Is this not pvp? It's definitely pve. It's also pvp.

All competitive aspects of these games can be "pvp" especially FTE. Camping a single spawn or even /list camps diminishing a players random chances at any item even without outright Denying them.

Let's not kid ourselves that both cooperative and competitive gameplay exist in both pvp and pve environs and they aren't mutually exclusive. Both require certain skillsets. Both can be abused.

Honestly people on blue, green, in my many years of experience are way more persistent, territorial, competative, simultaneously anticompetitive (actively seeking to destroy other people's ability to compete like antitrust). Vs being cooperative. People on red have been in general far more cooperative, especially when there was less GM interference. And the servers where younger. When there's a common goal most people will cooperate to achieve it within a competitive environment regardless of the rules.

It's really disingenuous to say pvp isn't a cooperative or social game and that there aren't noble and ideal ways of playing the game with pvp being an option. And simultaneously erroneous to say people won't be toxic just because it's pve only. It's possible to have a chilled out laid back experience in either environment. And possible to have a perfectly miserable time at manastone, fungi, or jboots on both sets of servers. On blue and green you best be frapsing for sure because even if you where Honestly the first person to engage or be at the spawn already that guy with 50 manastones on his corpses littered around the spawn will definitely fake screenshots and reports u falsely.

I'd rather just invite some friends over for pizza and have an in game group with me. More than likely the toxic players who are bad and abusive people are perpetually soloers or loners and won't be able to harras people legitimately on an FFA server with an active population of roleplayers and do-gooders. Those people don't exist on p99 because they are driven off by the hordes of shut ins. Bots, and boxers, and long time lawyerquesters. Rules lawyers. It's just fatiguing endlessly dealing with the constant threat of a permaban and loosing years of progress. If it was pvp only the worst you could lose out on was a few hours or days and just have to log into an alt and go RP it up in unrest or CB for a bit.

People are thoroughly attached to and brainwashed their in game pixel rights tho. The upside is if you submit to the right groups on blue or green you can be "granted your turn in line". Most of those people are Honestly horrible tho and not worth playing with however.

Tldr. Green is just pvp frapsquest. It's not really classic and no longer really a fantasy game at this point. Nor an mmo. It's a pvp metagame. Where killshots are measured in permabans, suspies, guild bans, guild disbands etc.
Last edited by magnetaress; 10-05-2022 at 02:50 AM..
Old 10-05-2022, 03:24 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let's take wow pve for example I can sit at a spawn point in Nazjatar spamming mind sear instantly tagging mobs and graying them out to other players. Denying ir delaying them the ability to get ex, loot, finishing quests. Is this not pvp? It's definitely pve. It's also pvp.
Actually in WoW mobs are shared tag now. I believe they only grey out if the person tagging is in a full group, or if they're tagged by an opposite faction member.

But yep WoW actually probably is a better game for someone like me; quiet, not very social, doesn't have a guild or friends. It offers far more solo content/ability to solo. But at the moment I'm stuck here due to an incident with my old computer. P99 is about the only game this cheap laptop can really handle. Right now I'm just trying my best here. I do speak from the perspective of someone who typically is alone though, who always struggled to find groups for content, and whom running a dungeon in this game higher than crushbone or blackburrow is a hilarious fantasy. I'd still love to see a dragon here one day, or at least do a group quest to earn something that simply can't be bought in the EC tunnel.

I do agree though, it sucks that one needs to have to suck up to the right group of folks controlling the content to do it here, even if they are terrible people that you'd never want to hang out with.
Last edited by tadkins; 10-05-2022 at 03:38 AM..
Old 10-05-2022, 08:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadkins [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Actually in WoW mobs are shared tag now. I believe they only grey out if the person tagging is in a full group, or if they're tagged by an opposite faction member.

But yep WoW actually probably is a better game for someone like me; quiet, not very social, doesn't have a guild or friends. It offers far more solo content/ability to solo. But at the moment I'm stuck here due to an incident with my old computer. P99 is about the only game this cheap laptop can really handle. Right now I'm just trying my best here. I do speak from the perspective of someone who typically is alone though, who always struggled to find groups for content, and whom running a dungeon in this game higher than crushbone or blackburrow is a hilarious fantasy. I'd still love to see a dragon here one day, or at least do a group quest to earn something that simply can't be bought in the EC tunnel.

I do agree though, it sucks that one needs to have to suck up to the right group of folks controlling the content to do it here, even if they are terrible people that you'd never want to hang out with.
Yeah that's how I played the game for years and enjoy it.

You're playing for fun and that's where it's at.

I'm actually much more social in wow because most content is instanced there for its mostly just a cooperative endeavor by my group. There's still the race to world first stuff butt that only factors in when pushing progress.

I last about three weeks on a lvl 60 toon in eq...and recently that level cap for me personally was more like around lvl 40. And I love to exclusively hang around popular dungeons and camps and help ppl. That's gotten harder lately with over half the server driving a fully raid teired enchanter style toon tho. So once a server hits a year old the game changes really drastically...

I would add a limited character age lifespan to my custom server. And items would be occasionally lost or destroyed by pvE events. Or have their own limited life span ranging from 3 months to a year. It would be very hard to walk around in full BiS velious gear or VP gear on my server. I'd probably instance raid content to counter balance that some tho.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:50 AM
Banned

UO still best pvp ever! Trying to get people to play on uosecondage cause it's a really really old server that just emulates vanilla uo during the second age era. There's a huge dormant playerbase that would likely return if the population went up. Used to be around 900 prime time now its down to like 30, but the upside is there is currently a lot of open land for housing. If you look around you can easily find space for a tower. Play on second age! (and also on p99 of course).