Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Large Bat

Default Lvl 16 magician advice

Im confused now as to how to do the research of spells for a lvl 16, im new to this game completely so any advice will be appreciated. also wit the mage focus items what prices are we talking for the reagents? and do you need to be lvl 30's to hand in the quests or is that just mob level?
kind regards Berttwe
Old 12-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Planar Protector

You can do the hand in for focus items at level 1, the main items for each runs around 200pp each, the other ingredients you can find on vendors or buy for as little as 10-20pp.

check the wiki on how to do research, the level 16 spells are not "research only" and can be purchased in OOT, you'll want to plan a trip out there anyway because to research the level 20 summons you need the level 16 scrolls.

the level requirement is what level you should be to handle the mobs solo, gators in CT for example drop the stein/broom/torch/shovel and are low 30's.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Large Bat

ah that explained so much [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] thank you so much friend, i best get my self doing some serious grinding
Old 12-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Planar Protector

I have all 4 Focus Items. And I agree it is about 250 plat if you are prudent in the Tunnel for each. So figure a 1,000 Plat for all 4. Well worth it in my mind.

All 4 pets have their uses whether solo or grouped. Plus the pets look cooler a LOT larger and have more HP. Welcome aboard. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-18-2014, 08:17 AM
Large Bat

wow at this time 1000 plat seems a long way away haha, and im going to mke that my aim any advice for the best place to be grinding to get plat atm im doing sisters and im lvl 16 any other places just as good or better?
Old 12-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Sarnak

The other option is to just get a few more levels and go solo in Najena. XP and get your focus items the old fashioned way, and maybe some epic pages as well.

In the meanwhile, maybe just try to buy only the focus item for the pet you solo with the most (which I assume is fire pet). Try to pick up the other 3 focus items in Najena.

I know mages who have leveled up basically naked except for the focus items, so you've picked a good class for your first toon!
Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM
Large Bat

ive been using the water pet mostly and the earth a little like so itl be those twop i got for first and im enjoying the mage very much so i know the i made the right choice haha. and with the research whats the deal how do you get it up without failing crafting the spells?
Old 12-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Fire Giant

Get torch first. Rest are useless. Gives the fire pet almost as much hp as your unbuffed earth pet, and he has an insane damage shield though does more dps than anything you've got, so long as he's tanking. Then once you have torch for solo and duo w/pet tank, and then form there I would suggest getting water pet, then air, then earth last.

Earth pet is pretty useless imo... you shouldn't be doing much of anything to draw agro if efficiently playing a mage, and the dps difference in an earth pet and fire with its self buffed damage shield is a spec compared to the 4x dps probably at lower levels (sub lvl 30, and even beyond, HUGE difference) even if you're buffing your pet with your own damage shield.

Torch of Alna is a 200-400p investment if you buy all parts, and can be handed in at level 1 and used to power level yourself to 30+ basically

also, learnt o time your med ticks and use your lower level pet heal, right from beginning of fight, don't wait for hp to get lower and start healing, you'll be too late. Just start healing at 90%hp or so
. if you sit and med, stand and heal right at med tick, then sit back down, you'll catch them all and heals cost next to nothing then. Also, only nuke with your level 1 or 4 nuke to get a single hit in for xp, and for best results find another caster to duo with so your fire pet can still tank but you get full xp. You can have your current best nuke out because you have free spell slots for it, but only use it to burn down healers or other casters, let melee mobs rage on fire pet's damage shield.

At 16 you should have burnout, make sure it's always on pet, and always make sure to give him a SWEET rusty 2h sword for that big boy damage. My level 16 mage with a burnout buffed focus fire pet with a rusty 2h sword could fully break and run all of the lower level of blackburrow. Including Lord Elgnub, a level 21-23 shadowknight... I did summon a second pet for that.

Also worth noting at lower levels it pays off HUGELY to chain summon for best pet, as they spawn different levels. Fire pet is easy to tell level because damage shield does more dmg on higher level versions. Also, save up money and be prepared for a trip to ocean of tears for pet spells. You don't actually need to research anything til lvl 24, unless you want cornucopia and everfont at lvl 20
Last edited by Bodybagger; 12-18-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, Fire pet for solo, Air Pet, or Water Pet in groups. Air Pet stuns, so good for areas that have Caster Mobs, MM comes to mind, and Water for Backstabs. So Water probably best bet overall if you have a real Tank. NEVER use a Earth pet in a group unless your pet is the Tank, ergo, no other real Melee in the group. And actually your Fire Pet can pretty much kill faster than a Tank. If you have a crowd control person in the group I would not lose much sleep if you didn't have one in say a Trio. In a Full group, yes you need a Tank.

So best Focus item is if you Solo a lot or Group a lot. Fire pet is not the best in a group. It will not get hit much so what good is the DS. And that is its only real strength. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tann [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can do the hand in for focus items at level 1, the main items for each runs around 200pp each, the other ingredients you can find on vendors or buy for as little as 10-20pp.

check the wiki on how to do research, the level 16 spells are not "research only" and can be purchased in OOT, you'll want to plan a trip out there anyway because to research the level 20 summons you need the level 16 scrolls.

the level requirement is what level you should be to handle the mobs solo, gators in CT for example drop the stein/broom/torch/shovel and are low 30's.
Gators? in CT? Did I miss a whole mob drop transition when I was on live back in Kunark and Vel? My first character was a DE mage and when it came time to get my focus items, all items, broom,stein,shovel and torch dropped off the magicians in Nagena. After I finished mine I would farm these items and help lower lvl mages get theirs. I remember that place like the back of my hand and remember one day how confused I was to kill the Widow chic and wonder how the hell was she hitting me so hard =) just to find out the game had glitched and codded her duel wielding that procing dagger she dropped. What was wrong is it's unique and you can't even loot two with out handing the first off to your pet =).
Last edited by Dragonslayer; 12-18-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Closed Thread