Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Aviak

I meant that it's fewer clicks if it succeeds on attempt #1.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Planar Protector

The main point of charisma for an enchanter is to maximize your ability to lull in dangerous places. Outside of large chunks of HP, it is the most important stat for high-end solo enchanters. Anything it does for charm is simply icing on the cake.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:50 PM
Large Bat

I went for all charisma until I hit about 210 or so. Then I started working on AC/HP. The AC/HP gear has saved my ass so many times. Meanwhile, I can't even think of one time where I died where I would have lived if I had a little more mana. I'm almost level 40, and that's probably happened once or twice. The AC/HP gear though saves me frequently.

I use the level 4 mes spell on dark blue mobs and below and don't have mana issues at all.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Kobold

Outside of caster mobs (have to cast multiple times), what's the point of the goblin ring? Taper enchantment costs next to no mana and as a newbie I'm thinking my 9k can go a long ways elsewhere.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Outside of caster mobs (have to cast multiple times), what's the point of the goblin ring? Taper enchantment costs next to no mana and as a newbie I'm thinking my 9k can go a long ways elsewhere.
It's mostly convenience. The higher level you get, the more precious your spell slots become, and keeping taper memmed or swapping it in every time can get annoying. The ring also gives you the ability to break charm at the exact moment you want. This means you don't have to worry about one mob or the other dying before you break charm, or breaking too soon and having to spend a ton of mana nuking one of your targets down.

I'm as miserly as anyone on the server, so I completely understand the argument for using a 5 mana first-level spell instead of spending 8-10k, but I still consider my Enchanter's ring to be money very well-spent.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReoDobbs [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Extra spell slot + 1%-2% charm breaks = Win

In all reality though. Once you get it, not only does it make charm killing more efficient, but also just more fun. I would definitely recommend getting it. It's not a hard camp in terms of difficulty or availability, it just requires some time. But well worth the time invested.

Plus, you could also camp a second one for cash if you need it.
Last edited by Crede; 10-30-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Old 10-30-2013, 02:07 PM
Sarnak

Also, as you start charming higher and higher level mobs, taper enchantment doesn't cut it anymore because these mobs have buffs on them. Takes more than one cast of taper enchantment to break the charm. Have to use a stronger spell like Pillage Enchantment, which takes a valuable spell slot and requires mana, unlike the ring.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Planar Protector

The biggest reason for a goblin ring is to break charm without using encountering spellcast recovery. Furthermore, should it ever be implemented, instant clickies should refresh spell gems at this point on the timeline.

The second reason is that you should never have charm on the first slot if fighting casters. When caster mobs go oom, they start casting as they regen mana - the spell they usually cast upon mana regen ticks at this point is a form of dispel. Ideally, if fighting shaman npcs (enchanters too, but those are very rare), you want the top slot open for slows to dispel with a buffer of a few junk buffs between charm.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Sarnak

I had been thinking of trying that against irritating high level shaman mobs... their slow spell is relatively fast casting and if I get a clutch resist, there's no time to stop it. Have you ever intentionally prepped your charm mob by giving it a trash buff and leaving the top slot open? I was thinking of just calming prior to mez/tash/charm and then using cancel to get rid of the calm effect. Have you done it? Worth trying?

Nothing kills my soloboner quite like when a fucking ilis shaman lands slow on my pet.
Last edited by goshozal; 10-30-2013 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: because I can
Old 10-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, Turgurs and Togors lasts forever, so I specifically try to leave the top 1-2 slots open if I'm soloing an area like Chef. 2 slots is better since shamans are also going to DoT/malo, but 1 is usually sufficient. The most important thing is to have charm as deep as possible so that you can freely cancel magic until you eventually hit slow. See-invis is my goto shit buff since it's instant with Bracer of the Hidden, but strengthen works well too. When you're first charming the NPC, you'll have to use detrimental spells so weaken works well for that.