Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Fire Giant

Default Losing connection after character select.

ON top of the typical inability to actually log in to the character select that I usually experence, these days it's been disconnecting me from the character select. After I choose my character and select enter world the game simply locks up for five minutes as if it were beginning to load, and when all's done it boots me back to the login. From this point it continues to refuse to allow me to connect to the server. Giving me a combination of error 1017, unknown error, and "a timeout has occured" errors.

anyone have any idea what might cause this? Honestly it seems to me, judging by the look of the Tech Discussion FORUM, that might be something server side, as I see a increasing amount of threads about similar issues.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:47 AM
Large Rat

Having this issue. At first I logged in fine, then I hit the zone from Ro to Freeport and lost connection mid-zone. Now when I log in I can't get past the character selection screen.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 AM
Planar Protector

haven't heard much about this one but I notice when im on a bad computer and multitasking, eq will fail to load when I tab it to the background. kick me back to server select screen etc. you could try that first - close everything else, browsers etc, and when your doing the EQ loading process, don't tab-out just stay focus on the EQ screen
Old 04-10-2015, 01:45 AM
Planar Protector

hmm.. I wonder if its related to the same issue here - specific characters INI files

http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...31#post1850031

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimjaw [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no dont reinstall.. 1 of these 2 suggestions should solve your problems. it involves removing logfile and other ini files for that specific character (dont delete just move to a different folder and try again)

1 - logfile. delete or rename your characters logfile

2 - character ini files. delete or move your characters ini files

the ini files i suggest removing can be found by going into your EQ folder, and typing your characters name into the search field (ctrl+f)

it should show a list of ini and other files with your characters name as part of the filename. cut and paste all of those files you find to a different location - like in a temp folder on your desktop.. Then try loading up that character again.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:13 PM
Kobold

im having this same issue, and moving the .ini files did nothing. I cannot locate any log files other than the one in the Log folder, and it isnt a character log. Never had this problem in 5 years of playing lol and it just started today.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 AM
Planar Protector

if its not the character ini files, its probably the zone files that you are trying to load into, and the zone files got corrupted.

replace those specific zone files with a fresh copy and try again. (grab them from a fresh install, i always keep a backup of a fresh install)
Old 05-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Kobold

Tried that as well. It did nothing.

Also to clarify, my game 'only' crashes/locks up after I select my character. Everything else behaves totally normal up until then. Also it doesn't mater which one I select, or what what zone they are in, it happens to all of my characters. No error messages, no anything, just locks up. =(

The only thing I did between last time it worked and now is I copied my EQ directory onto a flash drive. That's all. No idea what has happened lol
Old 05-18-2015, 03:16 PM
Planar Protector

so your playing from a flash drive? try putting it back on hard drive
Old 05-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Kobold

No, I copied the files to a flash drive. The original files are where they've been for years.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:32 PM
Planar Protector

my guess is that a certain file got corrupted. try a full reinstall