Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-08-2015, 01:21 AM
Fire Giant

Default Experiencing same problem for about 2 years now.. is it related to #4 in faq?

The nature of the problem is that: Unless I am working from a fresh restart of windows, I cannot connect to any p99 servers. From the server select, the screen goes black as if it is about to launch the loading screen, however my displays then brightens and pales (as though the game's gamma setting is effecting my desktop and everything else open) and reverts to the login screen. Keep in mind this does not effect my ability to connect to other eqemu servers.

After this occurs, when I log into the sever select it warns me that the game client wasn't able to connect to the patch server and I won't be able to log in (error 1017). Restarting the game does not help, however restarting my computer seems to fix it, at least until the next time I attempt to connect (and random crashes and disconnects are not infrequent)

I have encountered this problem both in doing a standard eq titanium client setup,as well as in using the nifty little "red 99" thing Casey from Red has made available. I have encountered it using Eqemulauncher, as well as wineq2. Also, setting a core affinity via command line or through the task manager seems to have no effect. All required programs have exceptions added to windows firewall, and disabling my antivirus does nothing.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone might have noticed anything similar, and maybe in the time since I last have brought this up, know a way of diagnosing and rectifying the issue.

I'll start by giving the best asessment of my computer I can
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
MSI 970A g46 Mobo
AMD FX 8350 CPU (4.0 GHz, 4 Physical Cores, 4 Logical Cores, Black edition)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 2 GB
8 GB of DDR3 RAM
Using Standard windows firewall combined with Microsoft Security Essentials for security.

I'm using the onboard wired modem to connect to the internet through a router then a modem. All appropriate ports are open, all hardware is up to date, I use MSI's Live Update Software as well as the Nvidia Experience software to ensure proper driver updates. Windows is fully updated and I've done 0 overclocking.

Anyway, if there is any information more that I can provide, I'll be more than willing to deliver it.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:42 AM
Orc

I have the exact same problems; some days it take 4-8 tries logging in just to have server selection pop up. Tonight I crashed while zoning .. tried to log back in at least to server select.. a good 20+ times .. nothing. Bad connection errors. going to keep trying but im pretty lost on what to do.

Edit: looks like only happens when server population is high.. i can login and out , zone anywhere just fine in the morning (PST) low population. So this is not the user's problem. Server bandwidth? I took firewall off , reinstalled, and reset router... the problem still happens
Last edited by thestallion1; 01-09-2015 at 12:41 AM..
Old 01-08-2015, 02:08 AM
Planar Protector

see this (currently 26 pages) thread about the issue:
http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=125811

Dev's/Staff have said nothing on the subject, it would be nice for them to AT LEAST acknowledge the issue but this is apparently asking too much.

It's nothing on your end, its entirely server side, some wonky hardware or shift change at the Alamo makes connecting to the login server with less then perfect internets impossible during prime time for some folks.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:59 AM
Fire Giant

Sadly it's not just prime time for me, though I did notice it around the time that the server started breaking the 1000+ barrier for peak population, and it would always persist until 1-2 AM, now it even happens at times like just now.. 3 int he damn morning x.x

If this means /thread, go ahead and delete or close the thread, mods. I have one other issue I am going to attempt to get handled, but it's completely separate so Iw ill be making a new thread and do not wish to flood the front page of TD
Old 01-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Sarnak

Try adding the eqgame.exe to your inbound and outbound firewall rules, and ensure they are set to allow and not block.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Planar Protector

SOP for me since I started. Most days are better than others. Today, it took me 45 minutes' worth of timeouts/errors/etc. Generally though, the past several months have been rather good.