Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Aviak

Default lvling research

How do you guys do it?
Words are expensive and skillups are rare, am I missing something?
Is there another way to level up research easier or does everyone just hunt for those low level words and hope for a successful combine?
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Kobold

I saved all of my training points up to 16, then I hit a guild trainer and after a while it starts to cost. Otherwise practise, practise, practise!

http://wiki.project1999.org/Skill_Research

Edwis - Enchanter
Nineteen - Monk
Kiral - Shaman
Gravesend - Necromancer
Old 05-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Aviak

I'm 18 and can only upgrade through paid research to 18? Is it a 1:1 for research training based on level? Thats not enough to skill up to make my lvl 20 pet. Not even close!
Old 05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Planar Protector

I was able to up the skill at my trainer to as high as I wanted it, I think. Maybe the level cap is new? First I'm hearing of it.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:03 PM
Sarnak

I'd recommend hunting in spots where words drop and also buying words off vendors nearby. Try making the spells yourself and many times you will get a skill-up, even if you fail. Sell dup spells back to merchant or to players to make up some costs.

Also, whenever you visit a trainer, train your research as high as it will go. Will cost a little plat at higher levels, but you should be able to afford it by then.

Selenia
Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
Planar Protector

If you're after words between 20-39, go to Highkeep and check the vendors there.

29-44? Feerott vendors outside Oggok (spectre killers vendor there).

Stuff for 49? Check everywhere! OOT vendors?

It's possible to do it without using the trainer but offer people the shortcut and most take it [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Sarnak

Skill up at your trainer, or find someone smartypants like me to do your homework for you =) Book practicing research is for jerks
Old 05-06-2013, 09:40 PM
Aviak

I'm a gnome using the trainers at freeport underground, I think Sks? Does this make any difference? I don't suppose trainers at ak'anon would train any more, right?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Sarnak

Trainers is trainers. In the Might and Magic series, there were different qualities of trainers that were really cool because you had to travel far and wide to find the wisest mentors, but every trainer in EQ has the same skill level and charge for tuition.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojanman [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm 18 and can only upgrade through paid research to 18? Is it a 1:1 for research training based on level? Thats not enough to skill up to make my lvl 20 pet. Not even close!
As mentioned on the wiki, the maximum skill for research is (your level-15)*5. This means if you train it at 18 your maximum skill level is 15. However, the game still gives you 1 point per level when you train it for the first time. At level 20 your skill will max at 25. This is certainly below the trivial level for spells at that level. This will continue to hold true for your other spell levels.

Note that if you are a necro you can buy the level 20 pet in oggok or grobb.
Closed Thread