Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to wehrmacht
Default Smedy video demonstrates why TZVZ PvP was terrible

Knuckle posted a long ass page of PvP videos and I started browsing through them earlier today and I stumbled upon the infamous Rexx fight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo1hmS4H5Rk

Yea, it's Rexx in the video dying, and everyone loves when Rexx dies but once you get over that fact, there are a few problems with how this plays out. First of all, it's the best geared warrior on the server and and he's being rooted, snared, and stunned like he's a naked level 1.

This makes it so if you're ever in a 1vs2 fight, no matter how terrible of players they are, they automatically win. One person just runs in circles while the other guy stands in place continuously spamming crowd control spells just like what happened in this video.

Now Rexx isn't the best player on the server but he's definitely not the worst. There's really nothing he could have done to change the outcome of this fight besides possibly running away the second it started. What you're looking at is a communist, welfare system of PvP.

You don't need to be good. All you need to do is show up and face roll your keyboard and you will probably kill someone or contribute to their death.

For anyone wanting a skill based PvP system, the problem with that video is pretty obvious. There is just too little chance of either person on the side with two people dying, and too high of a chance for the other guy dying no matter what the skill level is of the people involved.

The chain casting CC spells while another person kills you tactic has to be changed in order to have any paltry amount of skill involved in this game. You don't even have to remove them completely, they just can't function in a way that makes this skill-less tactic viable.

There are two ways of doing it, you can either make them land less, or you can make it so crowd control lands often but breaks much easier. DAoC for example is a game where crowd control lands very easily but they all break after taking only 1 damage (even snares). If you want crowd control to land in EQ, it needs to function in a similar way, either breaks after 1 damage or it breaks after you take X% of your total HP value, and it needs to be a small value.

If crowd control breaks after taking an extremely small amount of damage, that tactic will be much less viable and some amount of skill will be restored to this game. It would also add more skill to caster PvP since casters would have to time their spells and do whats called "sync dumps" (UO terminology) if they plan to try and use CC spells to kill people.

If you leave this system the way it currently is, if it was me personally faced with a fight like that, I wouldn't even bother fighting them. I'd just take off for the zone line and wait for a less inherently bad game design fight. Why implement a system that discourages PvP? It obviously needs to be changed to give people some incentive to stick around.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:55 PM
Planar Protector

Thats interesting..... considering i died maybe 3 times all of 3.0 on my monk when snares landed a lot..... being outnumbered 95% of the time. He could of dispelled his snare on numerous occasions in this fight but did not, of course hes gonna end up dead.[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrmacht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

This makes it so if you're ever in a 1vs2 fight, no matter how terrible of players they are, they automatically win.
Won many 1v2s on the box as both druid and warrior and a few 1v3s as druid. Ever heard of pumice? This post was retarded and not worth reading. Would not recommend as a read even for my worst enemy.
<Holocaust>
VZTZ
Last edited by Gnar; 05-24-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: spell
Old 05-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Sarnak

Warrior is not the best example of a 1v2 pvp class.
Warrior will prob roll most 1v1.

This is a bad example of pvp in this game imo.

Also warrior did not do much, no clickies/dispells, no ranged bow use. He just kind of ran around for a bit and died. Also we dont even know how this fight started, it looked like the two casters got the jump on the ogre in which case of course he is gonna get rolled. I honestly hate to say it but warriors are not too good a pvp class vs multiple casters.

is this a troll post?
Old 05-24-2011, 07:18 PM
Planar Protector

Watching those old videos reminds me of a time when people actually cared
Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Sarnak

Think the point was how "easy" root snare landed on a "warrior" (highest innate mr class, minus a bard) consecutively over and over. There is a reason why certain spells (that are gamebreaking) shouldnt land as much as they did on vz/tz.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Fire Giant

Ogod Wehrmacht is on the root subject again... and using a fail video of someone playing like dog shit as an example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakaris View Post
My brother is an award winning body builder and I'm faster bigger and stronger than him.
The Dukes Vengeance
Old 05-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Planar Protector

have to agree with Crescent fresh and Big hands Gnar on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOD
"I will honor those who honor Me, but those who despise Me will be disgraced." HCSB 1 Samuel 2:30
Old 05-24-2011, 08:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to naez Send a message via AIM to naez Send a message via MSN to naez Send a message via Yahoo to naez

have any of yous even tried channeling pumice on a pure melee? enchanter pet would interrupt that shit waste of time go down swinging

see: end of Catastrophe in Kithicor
Old 05-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Sarnak

luckily there was no ench pet there
Closed Thread