Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Old 05-16-2023, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah I was up way too late last night playing this. It makes botw feel like it was alpha or beta for what ultimately tears of the kingdom became.
Agreed. It's incredible what they delivered, I remember thinking they could never top botw when I first played it, and now I don't see how they can top this heh

I still think if people have never played either game they should play botw first. I'm actually kinda jealous of people who get to play both games for the first time back to back
Old 05-16-2023, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

I'm surprised that there aren't more p99ers/eq players interested in botw/totk. I feel like it's the closest thing to classic eq I've experienced in a while. What I mean by that is the thrill of exploration and wonder. Constantly surprised by what the game is and does.

I spent over an hr just fucking around trying to make a car lol! I got it to work and now I ride it everywhere.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 05-18-2023, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

I still haven't played BotW, I own it I just haven't got to it yet lol
Old 05-19-2023, 10:41 AM
Banned

Both BotW and TotK, though single player, give me hope that the best MMOs are yet to come. Imagine a version of EQ with all the environmental interaction that these games have.
Old 05-19-2023, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still haven't played BotW, I own it I just haven't got to it yet lol
Lucky bastard.. I wish I could play it for the first time again. I've replayed it a couple times but there's nothing like that first time through.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:54 PM
Planar Protector

Idk I guess I'm in the minority here, but tears of the kingdom kinda makes breath of the wild unplayable....at least to me anyway. I dunno if I could go back to no building, no fusing weapons, no Depths, no Sky Islands. The special abilities are totally different in each game, but I found botws abilities tedious and only used them when I absolutely was forced to use them. Where as with tears of the kingdom I'm constantly wanting to use them, or find new ways to use them.

Perhaps it'd be cool if you didn't know anything about tears of the kingdom when you start playing breath of the wild? Because then you'd basically be extending the game experiences length. Starting with the more minimal approach in breath of the wild and let you get acclimated in the world, characters, and gameplay before opening up the giant pandoras box of exploration, creativity, and wonder that comes with tears of the kingdom. Maybe that's why I'm so floored with the new game in the first place? Who knows.

I do know that I haven't been this impressed with a game in a very long time tho. I even bought a 2nd copy so my kids and I can stop having to take turns to play it rofl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seducio [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Both BotW and TotK, though single player, give me hope that the best MMOs are yet to come. Imagine a version of EQ with all the environmental interaction that these games have.
I completely agree! If this game had multiplayer, and some kind of a class system, it'd be near perfect for what I'd want in a sandbox world to explore and play in.

Multiplayer behind these kind of concepts would be revolutionary in the mmo genre. You never know, multiple developers started mimicking things from breath of the wild after it released. Hopefully some developers take notice of what TOTK is doing here.

Last edited by Evia; 05-19-2023 at 06:13 PM..
Old 05-19-2023, 10:02 PM
Planar Protector

Would going back to Breath of the Wild be like going back from San Andreas to GTA3?
Old 05-19-2023, 10:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Would going back to Breath of the Wild be like going back from San Andreas to GTA3?
That's a pretty good analogy actually...but even more extreme.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:01 AM
Sarnak

BotW was too easy, I just ran away from from most fights because there is no incentive to fight as you just break/damage your weapons. So many fights you lose resources, I started running away from everything unless there was an item in the area. Also I did the bare minimum quest wise, then tried to see how far I could get into the main castle. I managed to go through the main castle dungeon and work my way to the very backside of the castle and climb it straight to the main boss of the game. I literally fought 3-4 mobs then climbed a ton of walls all the way to Ganon. Boring, dumb, easy. I only had 8-9 hearts, but i found that fruit that you could make that gives you 20 hearts, I just keep eating those fruits, like 15 of them, and I beat him. I don't think I did 2/3rds of the content. I was surprised the main quest didn't take longer, way too easy. The original game you had to do 8 hard azz dungeons and puzzles, mazes. I expected to run into barriers, locked doors or something, or Gannon would whoop me and I'd have to gear up better. I loved the game and everything, one of the best games I've played, but that specific fight at the end needs a serious boost, or they need to nerf the food.
Last edited by NPC; 05-20-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Old 05-20-2023, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPC [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
BotW was too easy, I just ran away from from most fights because there is no incentive to fight as you just break/damage your weapons. So many fights you lose resources, I started running away from everything unless there was an item in the area. Also I did the bare minimum quest wise, then tried to see how far I could get into the main castle. I managed to go through the main castle dungeon and work my way to the very backside of the castle and climb it straight to the main boss of the game. I literally fought 3-4 mobs then climbed a ton of walls all the way to Ganon. Boring, dumb, easy. I only had 8-9 hearts, but i found that fruit that you could make that gives you 20 hearts, I just keep eating those fruits, like 15 of them, and I beat him. I don't think I did 2/3rds of the content. I was surprised the main quest didn't take longer, way too easy. The original game you had to do 8 hard azz dungeons and puzzles, mazes. I expected to run into barriers, locked doors or something, or Gannon would whoop me and I'd have to gear up better. I loved the game and everything, one of the best games I've played, but that specific fight at the end needs a serious boost, or they need to nerf the food.
Yeah, that's a natural outcome of trying to make the game as open world and sandboxy as possible. It has pros and cons, but one of the major pros is that the game is highly replayable. The first time I played the game I went to Zora's domain first and fought the elephant divine beast. The next time I played it I went to gerudo desert and fought the camel one first and it was just a completely different experience, because the enemies in the game get harder as you make progress. There are *still* some shrines I've never even been to. You can play the whole game and never even go to Eventide island which was one of the most fun parts of the game for me.

I also just avoided most enemy camps, especially on master mode, *until* I had made enough progress that the gold versions of basic enemies started spawning, which drop diamonds and rubies and sapphires and shit. Then it was suddenly worthwhile to clear them, and they're pretty challenging fights on their own. Plus tackling lynels just never gets old, the combat system is so satisfying once you get flurry rushes and parrying down.