Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 01:31 PM
Sarnak

Default proc threat on resist

do procs generate threat when resisted?

from my observation procs still generate threat when resisted.

what is unclear (and i have seen debated) is whether or not the DD or DoT component of procs still generates threat when resisted.

i have heard that on resist you get 0 threat from the DD component of a proc, but that doesnt seem to make sense with other spells in the game.

for example, when a wizard cast sunstrike (a straight DD, no spell effect component) and gets resisted they still generate threat.

does anyone have any hard data, or even anecdotal data that strongly suggest this to be true? maybe you have a high DD only procing weapon and you can confirm that you will reliably peel threat from the tank on a resisted proc.

just looking for some better understanding of how to rate various threat weapons.

yes i understand as long as you have a good quality threat proc you should focus on maximizing haste > weapon ratio > proc effect... but im still trying to understand how procs and resist work. appreciate the discussion!
Old 02-07-2022, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

My gut says it is like 70% of full aggro on full resist.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 02-07-2022, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Someone would probably need to do parsing on a mob that always resists a specific kind of DD spell hundreds of times to try and determine that. Like a mob immune to fire. I would be curious to know if someone has already done that.

It is possible they simply still do the damage calculation, and use that for the hate generation. For example, if a spell has a maximum damage of 700, but the resistance calculation would have reduced the damage to 400, then you would generate 400 hate, and deal 0 damage due to the spell being resisted.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:26 PM
Sarnak

i was recently testing wand threat and was surprised to find that a single wand of frost bolt click (6 damage DD) generated enough threat that it took 3 bow shots from 20 dmg bow with 2 dmg arrows (that did 22, 14, 0 dmg, respectively) before pulling threat. sometimes i wonder if proc threat really is the whole 'spell component capped at 400 + DD + DoT' calculation everyone suggests, or if its more nuanced.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:13 PM
Kobold

Proc threat is inconsequential compared to pure dps.

Get a Blam Stick
Old 02-11-2022, 10:57 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumph [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Proc threat is inconsequential compared to pure dps.

Get a Blam Stick
not really the point of the discussion and also just straight up inaccurate. for high end threat weapons approximately 1/2 of the threat comes from procs.
Closed Thread