Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 07-28-2024, 04:34 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Smile New Monk

Hello Fam - New to P99, and pretty new to EQ in general, but played a bit prior to 2005. I have always wanted to play an iksar, and monk is appealing so here we go!

Any tips on gearing, money, etc..?

Name is Sylandralar. Say hi!
Old 07-28-2024, 06:13 PM
Sarnak

Great choice it will be a lot of fun. Definitely a little challenging as a first character with the weight restrictions and being a melee.

Try and save up some play and head to EC as early as you’re able to buy some gear. Focus on 1h early then a good 2 hander after 20 (Wu’s quivering staff is cheap). Learn how to split pull (watch some videos) and other monk tricks.

I mained an Iksar monk to 60, it’s totally doable and lots of fun.
Old 07-28-2024, 10:14 PM
Sarnak

my advice: Learn how to properly pull.

seen far to many lizard monks that get a good item and then have no idea how to use it.
Old 07-29-2024, 03:22 AM
Planar Protector

Adding to the pulling thread, the other thing to remember is not to obsess over getting single pulls.

Plenty of groups can accept, or even do better, if multiple mobs are pulled into camp at once.

It is better to always have at least one mob in camp for melee to DPS on, than have them sat in camp twiddling their thumbs / wasting potential dps because their puller is spending too much time faffing about.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 07-29-2024, 01:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thank you everyone, great advice and will use! Someone was kind and gave me Wu's Quivering Staff, and suggested I try to get two Wu's Trance Stick's -- any idea of cost for those?
Old 07-29-2024, 10:38 PM
Planar Protector

Make friends with the P99 wiki its so full of info [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

According to that they're around 50pp each or so. I'd bet someone has a pair rotting in their bank.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Master_Wu%27s_Trance_Stick
Old 08-01-2024, 02:34 AM
Orc

Get working on some good money camps asap after you leave Kurns imo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Bone chips are valuable for buying weapon upgrades in EC or off players if you are lucky in Kunark.

I would suggest moving to brute camp at 26 (great plat returns), another great option to get to 36 would be goblin camp in Highkeep.

Transition guards afterwards (Also HHK)

Imo Focus on weapon> Bag of evil eye> Light burlap sack> mid cost armor upgrades > Tink bags.
Fungi is a really nice upgrade but expensive first you will want to make sure you have good vendor runs / manage your weight well.

Weapons: wu's quivering staff, trance stick and then you can consider more expensive options [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Leveling area's 1-4 area before bone pit, 5-8 or 12 (if you cant find a duo) Bone pit, 8-23 Kurns, 23-25 Giants or watering hole in overthere, 26-42 HHK

I hope you enjoy your time monking it up
Last edited by grims; 08-01-2024 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: Grammar