Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Old 03-11-2023, 10:24 PM
Planar Protector

There's a select few on the forums that hate red so much they'll talk about it 24/7.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:13 AM
Sarnak

yeah sheesh i noticed theres 5-6 of them lol.

PvP Teams would work if done right. Casuals would have to be catered to.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:57 AM
Planar Protector

It’s obvious that anyone who vehemently hates eq pvp just can’t handle the stress of things they can’t control like 1990s AI that stands in front of a tent and waits for you to kill it.

EQ pvp adds value to like 30% more items in the game due to their use in pvp cases, resist gear becomes important, self buffs and team composition becomes important. Solo becomes a different type of risk when it comes to holding valuable camps ETC

Basically it takes a fairly straight forward easy to win with 24 years of knowledge game and turns it into a dynamic player focused environment.

Some people just like to stroll around in their imagination collecting riches.

I like to stroll around in my imagination collecting riches and actually having to keep my eyes open and hit / enter all the time and make sure my buffs have a lot of time left on them.

To each his own. The claims that no one likes pvp are very unfounded.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:03 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To each his own. The claims that no one likes pvp are very unfounded.
No one worth a damn, anyway. If it were remotely balanced? Sure, it could work. But, the PvP community has a strong reputation for being straight up trash.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:07 PM
Planar Protector

Even with a strong ruleset in place, I think you'd have to sweeten the pot a little to bring in a good amount of players. A successful new Red server would need several hundred PvE players to migrate over from Blue/Green and stay for the long term. They would need an incentive to do so. Something like:

- Legacy items (manastone, beads, etc...) never phased out and continue to drop for duration of server's life
- Large XP bonus that scales up with group members
- Significantly reduced XP loss on normal death (i.e. -75%) and 0% loss on a PvP death
- No item loot, coin loot only from even level range PvP kill
- Juiced raid mob loot tables to drop better/more gear
- Restore some previously removed, out of era quality of life features (i.e. DoT ticks)
- Shortie race hybrids

Basically, just give PvE players a reason to stick it out there by making the PvP server also attractive for PvE in a way that Blue and Green are not.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliciousHalflings [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No one worth a damn, anyway. If it were remotely balanced? Sure, it could work. But, the PvP community has a strong reputation for being straight up trash.
We're all elf nerds approaching middle age here, friend. There's no need for all the weird pvp player hate.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:27 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Even with a strong ruleset in place, I think you'd have to sweeten the pot a little to bring in a good amount of players. A successful new Red server would need several hundred PvE players to migrate over from Blue/Green and stay for the long term. They would need an incentive to do so. Something like:

- Legacy items (manastone, beads, etc...) never phased out and continue to drop for duration of server's life
- Large XP bonus that scales up with group members
- Significantly reduced XP loss on normal death (i.e. -75%) and 0% loss on a PvP death
- No item loot, coin loot only from even level range PvP kill
- Juiced raid mob loot tables to drop better/more gear
- Restore some previously removed, out of era quality of life features (i.e. DoT ticks)
- Shortie race hybrids

Basically, just give PvE players a reason to stick it out there by making the PvP server also attractive for PvE in a way that Blue and Green are not.
to add, put in something to make it a bit of a challenge for the griefers, have a random chance for some kind of "law enforcement intervention" if a higher level player attacks another in a very narrow set of zones, mainly, within city walls such as Qeynos, Felwithe, Rivervale, etc. This could be either a Scion hitting for 20k damage, or just high level guards, or maybe just a immediate faction hit to scowling with that zone. Something that still allows for the griefing but gives them a more worthy opponent. These new mobs would give no xp and drop no loot if they are bested in combat.
Old 03-12-2023, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rader [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
to add, put in something to make it a bit of a challenge for the griefers, have a random chance for some kind of "law enforcement intervention" if a higher level player attacks another in a very narrow set of zones, mainly, within city walls such as Qeynos, Felwithe, Rivervale, etc. This could be either a Scion hitting for 20k damage, or just high level guards, or maybe just a immediate faction hit to scowling with that zone. Something that still allows for the griefing but gives them a more worthy opponent. These new mobs would give no xp and drop no loot if they are bested in combat.
Having more high level guards on team factions spread throughout newbie zones would probably be a really nice feature, especially if the server is SZ style with no level range PvP (and there are very good arguments for this ruleset).

I think you'd also just need some very dedicated and fair-minded GMs, especially early on in the server's life, who would basically make it their job to grief the griefers off the server, and promote a more healthy PvP climate. Like, "Oh ok, you want to take your high level character and do nothing but camp the enemy newbie zone for hours at a time. Oh wow, it's a shame you keep getting death touched!" Ideally you'd want a server where the Teams act to protect their players against each other, but there's always shitheads who want to ruin everyone else's experience in any way possible, just for the hell of it. And you'd want to minimize the impact those types of players can have, because just a handful of them can drive away hundreds of other potential long-term players.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:34 PM
Planar Protector

These bluebie ideas for a pvp server are OK but bordering on the kinda wrong think that created the original p99 red launch rule set in addition to minimal experimentation with rule set during the long beta phase.

To get people to play you can just say they can have the chance to go to the museum server of their choice at the end, either blue or original red (hopefully they do some fixes to original red so it gets SOME population like changing the ruleset to whatever red 2.0 has

That way you can be sure your toons won’t be wasted time sink if the server goes belly
Up since red 1 hasn’t inspired a lot of confidence.

Other than that you just need a rational ruleset like regular rallos rules or Nilbog reasonably balanced 2 team configuration, which would be the best safe way to have item loot enabled pvp which is a requirement to make pvp worth doing when a would be griefer is around.

Because I think item loot is better than no level limit which is the other option for making being a low level PK less attractive.

Item loot makes it risky
No level range makes it pointless because now anyone with a high lvl can log in to unrest and kill you.

I know you guys are eskerd of item loot but it’s quite nice. Droppable gear isn’t too expensive because it trades hands easily. It’s a good economy. And you can try to ambush PKs and be a good guy and have a reason NOt to level past 20 or whatever.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 03-12-2023, 11:37 PM
Planar Protector

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
These bluebie ideas for a pvp server are OK but bordering on the kinda wrong think that created the original p99 red launch rule set in addition to minimal experimentation with rule set during the long beta phase.

To get people to play you can just say they can have the chance to go to the museum server of their choice at the end, either blue or original red (hopefully they do some fixes to original red so it gets SOME population like changing the ruleset to whatever red 2.0 has

That way you can be sure your toons won’t be wasted time sink if the server goes belly
Up since red 1 hasn’t inspired a lot of confidence.

Other than that you just need a rational ruleset like regular rallos rules or Nilbog reasonably balanced 2 team configuration, which would be the best safe way to have item loot enabled pvp which is a requirement to make pvp worth doing when a would be griefer is around.

Because I think item loot is better than no level limit which is the other option for making being a low level PK less attractive.

Item loot makes it risky
No level range makes it pointless because now anyone with a high lvl can log in to unrest and kill you.

I know you guys are eskerd of item loot but it’s quite nice. Droppable gear isn’t too expensive because it trades hands easily. It’s a good economy. And you can try to ambush PKs and be a good guy and have a reason NOt to level past 20 or whatever.
The teams Nilbog proposed (like a decade ago now??) still make me feel weird af bc they're so nonsensical in terms of RP. The classic teams from live, whether racial or deity-based, at least made some sense.

Item loot is maybe why RZ evolved over time to be a largely anti-PK server, and if we want to win the bluebies over I think a good way to do that would be to make as much of the playerbase anti-PK as possible. Item loot could possibly work?