Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 12-05-2015, 04:24 PM
Large Rat

Default Need a New Laptop

Hey All,

Looking for some advice on a new laptop for EQ. Currently I'm running the game flawlessly on an HP G6 with an I3-2350 HD3000 Graphics running Win7.

Now, normally I wouldn't ask advice since just about anything out there is better than my current system. But.... I bought a new HP about six months ago with an I5-5200 HD Graphics 5500 running Win 8.1 and this thing was buggy as hell. When the game ran, it would stutter randomly. It tended to crash a lot. No compatibility mode was stable. Basically, the laptop was a huge waste of money for EQ use.

So I ask those of you that have recently purchased a laptop and run EQ, does it run stable, no stutters / jitters, constant crashes upon zoning? If so, could you offer a make and model of said laptop you use.

Would really appreciate some advice on this as I don't want to buy another $600 brick from HP.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM
Kobold

EQ runs flawlessly on a cheap ($200-300) Chromebook if you're savvy enough to install linux on it.

Otherwise, probably need to spend at least $500 on a Windows 8.1/10 laptop.

Just avoid Lenovo or Dell. I'd go with Asus or Acer.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

I don't necessarily think you need to buy an entirely new system for what appears to be software issues; the machine you currently have is more than capable of running EQ.

Sounds like the underlying issue here is Windows 8.1 (I too have had issues with this). Perhaps you should consider doing the free upgrade to Windows 10 and completely wiping the machine clean and starting fresh. Reload everything and give EQ another shot.

I've had zero issues with Windows 10 and EQ once I did a fresh install. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-06-2015, 04:49 PM
Large Rat

I can't say it's Windows 8.1 as I did a fresh install of Win 7. Granted it was hard to find enough compatible drivers to get most of everything working, but a fresh install of EQ with every tweak I could come up with, yielded the same stutter. Overall the program ran better, crashed less, but I never could get rid of that jitter that occurred every seven seconds or so.

As for EQ, I know it doesn't require much to run, and I'm not looking for a powerful machine. Heck, the first computer I played EQ on back in 99 had a Voodoo Vid Card with only 16 megs of ram ( talk about slow zoning, not to mention the constant blue screens of death ) and it never caused these problems. I'm also loathe to give HP more money this soon, but they have a decent setup with a AMD R7 M360 graphics card that comes in at $430. Otherwise, I may just take a chance on a base I3 with HD graphics and hope for the best.

This post probably doesn't even belong within this forum, but I worry about my current laptop's longevity due to heat.
Old 12-06-2015, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

The issue was probably a Multiple core issues with the laptop and EQ. You can get the game to run fine with any computer just have to know what to change and how to change it. Not sure really what your asking here though. Get whatever new laptop you want then come back here to troubleshoot it if anything is wrong.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:09 PM
Planar Protector

Gotta be multi-core issues.

OP, are you aware of the multi-core fixes?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:44 PM
Fire Giant

Macbook pro boot camped to windows 10 is the best windows laptop.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:37 AM
Kobold

EQ Linux master race. Runs flawlessly on even old ass hardware.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Macbook pro boot camped to windows 10 is the best windows laptop.
if it wasn for the fact that macbooks have short life span..
Old 12-07-2015, 11:09 AM
Fire Giant

A macbook will last a lot longer than any other normal windows laptop. It is the reason I recommended it. The seams are tighter, and it is the only laptop that has lasted me over 3 years without having any major issues. No other laptop has ever come close for myself. A short life span is incorrect.