Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 01-28-2022, 05:17 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It doesn't matter if they are OP are not; what matters is that they weren't OP in classic. Anyone who played in classic remembers Enchanters as a grouping class: they cast haste and C2, they mezzed adds, and maybe (if they were bored) they got hit to have their animation attack (although honestly I don't even remember them doing that very often).

Maybe a few rare Enchanters (with good computers and T1 connections) were soloing ... very carefully ... but again it was rare, and charming in groups was all but non-existent.

The goal of P99 is prominently displayed in the upper-left corner, but as long as I've been here that goal has been ignored when it comes to Enchanter charming. The hope I had ... the same hope I'd like to think we all have, if we appreciate this place and its goals ... should be to make Enchanters like they were in '99-'01.
Isn't your highest level chanter level 17 or so?

Anyway, keep up the shitposts.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ou’re charming mobs too close to your level (which will be improved by this bug fix or you can target slightly lower level mobs).
Where do you even get this drivel?

The nerf has less impact as level increases, since at higher level you have a far larger margin for charming blue mobs.

A 60 chanter can charm a mob 15 levels below them, and it will still contribute. A level 40 chanter charming a mob 15 levels below them isn't going to get any value out of that pet.

The system discourages charming mobs near your own level, and calculates in absolute values. It is easier for a level 60 chanter to charm a level 50 mob (10 level difference), then it is for for a level 19 chanter to charm a level 10 mob (9 level difference).

Charming under level 50 just won't happen anymore.

People are all giddy about nerfing level 60 enchanters, while they don't even understand what this "fix" encompasses. In a way it is hilarious to see how a few nerds whipped each other in a frenzy about this while not even having a clue on the actual effects.
Last edited by derpcake2; 01-28-2022 at 05:29 AM..
Old 01-28-2022, 09:02 AM
Sarnak

"Enchanter. The primary focus of this art can be summed up by the name of the arcane order to which it belongs - enchantment. Spells are crafted to enchant people, places and things. An Enchanter can charm beings and make them fight for a new master, or magically enhance the capabilities of a sword-welding warrior. She even has some proficiency in offensive spells." - players manual, Everquest Trilogy, printed in 2000.

Seems pretty odd that one of the three things highlighted about the class in the (classic) players manual is charming - yet people consider it not classic. It's starting to feel like a witch hunt..
Old 01-28-2022, 10:22 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolguy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Man guys I just recently started EQ on this server and picked enchanter because of unique play style not available anywhere else. I already struggle now because of charm breaking often and that’s with good charisma hand me downs from friendly players.
Changes have me worried. Because I don’t know what it means.

Please don’t make it harder or I’ll just have to call it quits. There are no groups, everyone soloes or twinked. Enchanter pets are trash, charm is the only thing that works, but if it breaks a lot it’s an easy death sentence or 10 minute sitting waiting on hp to slowly regen because you took few hits and are now at 10% health.

Just my feedback
Are you playing on green or blue? I leveled my enchanter 10-50 recently 90% grouped. Just gotta make friends and hit the hotspots
Oasis in the teens, unrest 20s, highkeep. Their is groups out there.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Isn't your highest level chanter level 17 or so?

Anyway, keep up the shitposts.
So I have to level every class to 60 to remember what Enchanters were like on live? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-28-2022, 01:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCtastic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"Enchanter. The primary focus of this art can be summed up by the name of the arcane order to which it belongs - enchantment. Spells are crafted to enchant people, places and things. An Enchanter can charm beings and make them fight for a new master, or magically enhance the capabilities of a sword-welding warrior. She even has some proficiency in offensive spells." - players manual, Everquest Trilogy, printed in 2000.

Seems pretty odd that one of the three things highlighted about the class in the (classic) players manual is charming - yet people consider it not classic. It's starting to feel like a witch hunt..
Did you play in classic? Enchanters did charm: no one is saying otherwise. But they 100% did not charm in groups in any major capacity, and even when soloing it was a highly risky activity, not the safest/most efficient path to leveling.

Again, you don't have to have played an Enchanter on live to remember this: you just had to group with them. And if you grouped at all, you undoubtedly did, as they were still a highly desired class in groups even without charm.

P.S. And also, using the EQ manual as a basis for ... anything really, is a pretty terrible way to make an argument. Those things were rife with falsehoods.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:01 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
P.S. And also, using the EQ manual as a basis for ... anything really, is a pretty terrible way to make an argument. Those things were rife with falsehoods.
Loramin's correct. I wouldn't trust the official printed material to be honest. I did a post a while ago showing just some of the mistakes in the Kunark Strategy Guide 1.0 I found in a box at home.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...d.php?t=361855

It's pretty bad.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-28-2022 at 06:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2022, 06:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
it was a highly risky activity, not the safest/most efficient path to leveling.
no people were just bad then it wasnt risky people just sucked.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
no people were just bad then it wasnt risky people just sucked.
It probably was riskier back then. Not necessarily because of the game mechanics or player skill, but because of how flakey the internet was back then. I could easily see people dying from getting beaten to death by their pet after a lag spike or unexpected disconnect. I certainly remember getting disconnected decently often on live.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:20 PM
Planar Protector

TBH I dont buy the latency issue. I never remember latency ever being a problem for me. How it would affect charming ant not roots or pvp or using stuns to stunlock a train pull in lower guk (which was my favorite memory of the game of all time) I just cant figure out how charming is unique to any of that.
Last edited by Jibartik; 01-28-2022 at 06:22 PM..