Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Old 08-03-2023, 01:01 PM
Banned

The cool down on the evasive disc is such that, in the aforementioned scenario all of the spiders in the front half of velks are cleared before repop, with a cool down timer commensurate for repeatedly accomplishing this goal. There are not unlimited mobs to continue pulling without encroaching on others' "camp", so the difference between the knight pulling 3 or 4 at a time, and a warrior pulling 30 or 40 is rewarded with additional AFK time between repops
Old 08-03-2023, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Knights are on the same backend damage table as warriors but their skills are not, and again, that is only mid to late Velious (over-represented in the life of the server but really a small slice of the actual timeline of progression). Paltry 225 offense/weapon skill cap for knights, 250 for warriors, which you really feel on high level mobs. But you're right, they are certainly closer during this point in the timeline. During classic, Kunark, and the first part of Velious warriors are in a different league altogether.

This is from years of me parsing my ranger's groups trying to prove a point.
Let's not forget zerk damage.

My war had an eashen sword at level 46. The damage was insane.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

No, dps is closer than one might think these days, I parse all the time. Assuming weapons are similar. The issue is while a warriors has better offensive traits (even off disc) most warriors aren’t tanking off serious dps with 2h’s. Or if they can, nobody ever does.

Even a pleb warrior with a 1/1 ratio 2h at 60 does great dps. Disc burning warriors with a solid 2h and avatar are usually near the top of the chart. Post knight melee table change and scaling damage bonus knights with 2h’s do VERY well on blue cons. While raiding, if a warrior or even monk picks a crap DW combo they will get smoked by 2h knights.

Ultimately, all this is puffery. Even rogues in grind groups play second fiddle to charmed pets and it’s not even a close race. The last 15dps difference between a grind tank knight or warrior is a shaman pet. Go with who’s available. If you have to pick go with the person you trust doesn’t suck (or won’t annoy you).
Old 08-03-2023, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No, dps is closer than one might think these days, I parse all the time. Assuming weapons are similar. The issue is while a warriors has better offensive traits (even off disc) most warriors aren’t tanking off serious dps with 2h’s. Or if they can, nobody ever does.

Even a pleb warrior with a 1/1 ratio 2h at 60 does great dps. Disc burning warriors with a solid 2h and avatar are usually near the top of the chart. Post knight melee table change and scaling damage bonus knights with 2h’s do VERY well on blue cons. While raiding, if a warrior or even monk picks a crap DW combo they will get smoked by 2h knights.

Ultimately, all this is puffery. Even rogues in grind groups play second fiddle to charmed pets and it’s not even a close race. The last 15dps difference between a grind tank knight or warrior is a shaman pet. Go with who’s available. If you have to pick go with the person you trust doesn’t suck (or won’t annoy you).
Yep pretty much, and knight weapons are pretty much free in raid guilds. Easy to out dps most wars.
Old 08-03-2023, 04:35 PM
Fire Giant

i dont know why any warrior would put up with you all.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by radda [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i dont know why any warrior would put up with you all.
they wouldnt be able to read the group chat from zone in anyway
Fauvana 60 Erudite Necromancer
Erjav 60 Human Bard
Enjamini 60 Human Magician
Deepwalter 60 Erudite Paladin
Seliel 60 Human Rogue
Enjoii 54 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 08-03-2023, 06:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjchanter [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
they wouldnt be able to read the group chat from zone in anyway
Lol

Old 08-09-2023, 11:23 AM
Kobold

Today in 2023 there are no pugs so composition doesn't matter.

5 years ago when there were pugs people just picked up whoever as long as they weren't a wizard, so composition didn't matter.

Nothing about this thread matters.
Old 08-09-2023, 01:52 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep pretty much, and knight weapons are pretty much free in raid guilds. Easy to out dps most wars.
My 60 warrior with Dain Axe (42/43) puts out a fuckton more dps than my 60 paladin with a 1.15 ratio spear (53/46) at the same attack and str values.

Higher skill caps and triple attack at 60 makes warrior with 2handers extremely capable at DPS. Nice thing about the Dain axe is it doubles as a very strong aggro/tank setup.

Dain axe is easier and is (or was when I picked it up) just as dkp cheap as knight weapons.

Now a knight with a solid 2hander vs a warrior with a dual wield kit - it’s going to be a lot closer and favor the knight unless those dual wield ratio weapons are way up there.

The 2h dmg bonus patch really shifted the balance in lots of ways.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 08-09-2023, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My 60 warrior with Dain Axe (42/43) puts out a fuckton more dps than my 60 paladin with a 1.15 ratio spear (53/46) at the same attack and str values.

Higher skill caps and triple attack at 60 makes warrior with 2handers extremely capable at DPS. Nice thing about the Dain axe is it doubles as a very strong aggro/tank setup.

Dain axe is easier and is (or was when I picked it up) just as dkp cheap as knight weapons.

Now a knight with a solid 2hander vs a warrior with a dual wield kit - it’s going to be a lot closer and favor the knight unless those dual wield ratio weapons are way up there.

The 2h dmg bonus patch really shifted the balance in lots of ways.
I mean I have parses out dpsing wars , can they go bananas with disc and such sure. But knights ain’t crazy below and their weapons are basically free in tov .