Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiki101 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I believe a non afk Wizard can put up some nice damage as a dps
Nope! Wizards are great, but nope!

OP - are you twinking a wiz? You can quad as early as 8 if you have jboots and a couple hundred (or more) +mana gear. Pulls for quads are quite a bit less annoying if you have a staff of temperate flux to aggro stuff with. Personally I got PL on my wiz from a necro in TD up to about 20 I think, then quadded crag spiders in EK, then quadded mammoths in everfrost, got another 10 levels of PL from 30-40 from a bard in OT, then quadded bloodgills until 51. Like 3/4 of the goblins are light blue at 51, but some people still think they are the best quadding until 52 because they have so few hp. Personally I'm in TD, maybe only half of the spirocs are light blue and you can try to just snag provens/watchers pretty easily. Could also probably quad in DL and find a pretty steady source of c/c2 right inside KC. I think I will be doing raptors or something in BW from 52-55/56, then doing chardok AE exclusively from there.

Wizards are not good DPS for groups. They can work in groups, but there basically is always a better option. Ports are great convenience though, quadding is a boring but pretty quick way to solo, AE xp groups make 55-60 faster for you than anyone else (except the other people in your ae group!), and you are awesome for porting to sky/hate and blowing up raid mobs.

Even in Velious you will rock, because the bane spells are so awesome even in the face of hundreds of thousands of HP on bosses.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-15-2013 at 10:16 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Nope! Wizards are great, but nope!
I guess what i meant was that if your not ninja afking your dps is enough for grouping
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 AM
Planar Protector

I agree with the above. If you are twinking and getting help get jboots and the temp flux staff as soon as you can, then start quading. Staff of Wheel is a great primary slot that you can get at lvl 1 if you have help, too. Have something to occupy your time while you med because its like 15 minutes of medding for 5 minutes of glory.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks for the reply guys, its much appreciated! Yes, I'm looking to have some fun with the wizard. I will be twinking, looking to farm another 15-20k over the next week or two. I was curious, how often do wizards get hit, curious if it would be at all beneficial to get some pure hp items?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiki101 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I guess what i meant was that if your not ninja afking your dps is enough for grouping
A level 60 wizard does less sustained DPS than a tank, and the only other things they really can contribute to a group are stuns and roots... both of which are usually sufficiently covered by other members of the group.

Like I said, having a wizard in a group doesn't exactly cripple the group, but it is very rare that a wizard is the best option for a normal xp group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the reply guys, its much appreciated! Yes, I'm looking to have some fun with the wizard. I will be twinking, looking to farm another 15-20k over the next week or two. I was curious, how often do wizards get hit, curious if it would be at all beneficial to get some pure hp items?
If you play it safe (i.e. you don't try to cast a spell on the quad that's chasing you unless you know they're at max casting range, verified by clicking your staff until they are out of range), you should basically never get hit.

More realistically you'll probably try to squeeze in an AE or a snare or a root on a mob that is pretty close to you to begin with, and you'll get hit once in a while. I have black sapphire earrings and neck on my wiz, basically his only hp gear, and usually a quad catching me will cost me 30-60% of my hp before I can get away. I've probably only died two or three times in the 20-30 and 40-51 I've quadded with my wizard, and I don't even bother casting shielding or runes ever.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 03-15-2013 at 10:51 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 10:52 AM
Kobold

I've found that, in general, if I get hit while quadding, it's either no big deal and I escape handily or I take a stun and I'm just dead. When I get the latter, I'm pretty sure the amount of hp items I would need to have lived would cripple my quadding ability in mana loss. Wish I had put my extra 5 in str, not sta.

To echo a lot of the above - have other stuff to do when you're soloing. Now that I'm on to Spirocs in the late 40s, my downtime is in excess of 10 minutes between pulls. I spend a lot of time folding laundry, doing dishes, playing with the kids, and that sort of stuff between pulls.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Sarnak

I think wizards are kinda fun to level, just cuz I love alt tabbing in EQ.

I don't know why, but alt tabbing in EQ is so much more satisifying than alt tabbing away from something else.

I took a druid from 44-49 in rathe on HGs, just doing ensnare, nuke til dead, run back to safe spot, go read stuff...click back repeat, heh.

It's like getting exp for reading webpages.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

best advice I can give is to buy a powerlevel to 34. then spend 2 or 3 hours maxing evoc and alter. that first half of the game has to be the dullest and most frustrating eq experience ive ever had. resists in the early game are 10x worse than you will have 40+. be prepared to afk med for 10 minutes than to get a mob that resists root 5 times in a row. jboots are almost a requirement
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A level 60 wizard does less sustained DPS than a tank, and the only other things they really can contribute to a group are stuns and roots... both of which are usually sufficiently covered by other members of the group.

Like I said, having a wizard in a group doesn't exactly cripple the group, but it is very rare that a wizard is the best option for a normal xp group.

If you play it safe (i.e. you don't try to cast a spell on the quad that's chasing you unless you know they're at max casting range, verified by clicking your staff until they are out of range), you should basically never get hit.

More realistically you'll probably try to squeeze in an AE or a snare or a root on a mob that is pretty close to you to begin with, and you'll get hit once in a while. I have black sapphire earrings and neck on my wiz, basically his only hp gear, and usually a quad catching me will cost me 30-60% of my hp before I can get away. I've probably only died two or three times in the 20-30 and 40-51 I've quadded with my wizard, and I don't even bother casting shielding or runes ever.
I was a longtime Wizard player from luclin -> Omens and I'm not sure if this ever got better.

Even with Iceflame of E'ci and Ancient: Destruction of Ice and Icy Spear of Solist I don't think I could put out reasonable DPS in a group.

And then with the high resists of boss mobs and needing to use lures lots of times (or getting gibbed if I tried to use the big damage nukes...) I'm not sure if I was any good even then.

Did they ever improve this?

I loved my wizzy but watching Mages nuke for 80% of what I could and have an uber pet always made me jealous.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarukShmaruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I loved my wizzy but watching Mages nuke for 80% of what I could and have an uber pet always made me jealous.

And the mages were envious of you being able to root [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread