Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 12:45 PM
Sarnak

Wink Missing "Classic" aspects...

While I appreciate what Rogean, Nilbog, and others have done to create the classic feel of old EverQuest, there are a few missing aspects from the _true_ experience of old:

- The server here is quite stable. I forgot how many times Bristlebroken was down for the count and Verant (and later Sony) were confused on what to do.

- The patches are quite stable too. How many times did the servers comes down to patch the patch? And let's not forget when there was a patch to fix the patch that was to fix the patch. I think Sony had four patches to fix the first patch as a record.

- Certain patches broke classes to a point of being unplayable and Sony was working on a patch to fix the broken classes that would be sent live in "around a week". As a bard, I remember a good week of not being able to play any songs since the patch made the songs into spells and since bards were not considered casters, could not ~cast~ their songs!

- All the classes on Project 1999 appear relatively balanced in my opinion (though unsure how they are at the high ends). But the early days had druids (droods) godlike while warriors could not hold aggro on anything since their taunt was just another button.

So remember when people want the complete "Classic" aspect, there are some things better left in the past!
Old 06-06-2016, 01:19 PM
Fire Giant

Haha, yeah. But tell us, how's touring with AC/DC?
Pickahippy - 52 Druid
All priest, all the time.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:45 PM
Sarnak

Wildly unstable ping causing you to get rekt during a kite.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:21 PM
Planar Protector

The nostalgia is still there ^^
Old 06-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Sarnak

That old guy on the lawnmower is kind of how it feels to iDPS in Chardok.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:35 PM
Planar Protector

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ff6_1464786258

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

hehe, not quite a lawnmower but why be doing Chardok aoe? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-06-2016, 02:39 PM
Planar Protector

lold @ Bristlebroken
Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 PM
Banned

You must be new. Literally all of those have happened before and I've only been here for 3 years.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 AM
Planar Protector

To add classicness to the feel, you can do the following things on your own:

1. Buy a K6 or Pentium 2 computer with a Voodoo card and 32 MB or RAM and play EQ on it, with a 14 inch CRT monitor and a ball mouse. If you get more than 10 FPS, make sure to throttle it in the options (ALT-O) to 10 FPS max. SB16 for classic sound, AWE32 or Gravis Ultrasound if you want to simulate baller 1999 setup.

2. Use a 14.4 modem, maybe a 28.8 to connect to the internet. Use software like this to add some packet loss, random lag spikes and generally make the connection unreliable.

2b. For full immersion, put your modem on a programmable AC plug and make it disconnect at random times to simulate your sister or mom calling a friend in the middle of your quad kite making you die horribly.

3. Use a 640x480 resolution with the old UI

4. Only use the full screen mode

5. Drink 4 large glasses of hard liquor such as whiskey or rhum every time before playing to simulate general cluelessness about the game and Norrath.

6. Send me $15 every month per account (PM for Paypal). This is critical for immersion.

7. Enjoy!
Old 06-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
To add classicness to the feel, you can do the following things on your own:

1. Buy a K6 or Pentium 2 computer with a Voodoo card and 32 MB or RAM and play EQ on it, with a 14 inch CRT monitor and a ball mouse. If you get more than 10 FPS, make sure to throttle it in the options (ALT-O) to 10 FPS max. SB16 for classic sound, AWE32 or Gravis Ultrasound if you want to simulate baller 1999 setup.

2. Use a 14.4 modem, maybe a 28.8 to connect to the internet. Use software like this to add some packet loss, random lag spikes and generally make the connection unreliable.

2b. For full immersion, put your modem on a programmable AC plug and make it disconnect at random times to simulate your sister or mom calling a friend in the middle of your quad kite making you die horribly.

3. Use a 640x480 resolution with the old UI

4. Only use the full screen mode

5. Drink 4 large glasses of hard liquor such as whiskey or rhum every time before playing to simulate general cluelessness about the game and Norrath.

6. Send me $15 every month per account (PM for Paypal). This is critical for immersion.

7. Enjoy!
9/10
Closed Thread