Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Kobold

Default Debating a Necro (or Mage): A few questions

I want to create a pet class and am leaning toward necro, but I'm wondering if I may be better off just going with a mage.

I'm partial to a necro based on seemingly better utility options and DoTs which all sound like fun, but am not keen on being evil. I also have no interest in being an Iksar which is apparently the best (and in some opinions, the only) race to be.

Is there any way to be a less hated necro off the bat? Would being a human, gnome, or Erudite help? I don't mind faction farming but would prefer to be at least, less hated.

Additionally, how easy is it to get decent low level gear for either? I'm told the flayed skin for a necro is pretty solid and can take me up through higher levels. Is this gear expensive?

Can anybody confirm if the experience penalty for a necro still in play?

For the mage is the class as straightforward as it seems to be. Send pet in to tank, throw a nuke or two and a damage shield on and sit/med and watch?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:11 AM
Banned

If you don't want to be an Iskar and you don't want to be viewed as evil by NPC's... then necro is the completely wrong choice for you
Old 05-03-2016, 09:15 AM
Sarnak

All robe casters have the same EXP rate I believe.
Iksar have a racial exp penalty

You don't really need a ton of gear for either class, you will be made of paper regardless and your mana regen rate, which is the most important thing when soloing, won't be affected by any gear you can acquire or afford until very late in the game.

Mage soloing can be a little more complicated than you're imagining because sometime after Kunark came out they changed how experience works when you are soloing with a pet. If a single pet that is alive at the end of the fight does the majority of damage it eats half the exp. (should look this up to verify and understand)

Being anything other than an iksar will result in being a less hated necromancer but most factions won't like you off the bat.

Mage spells Coth and Mod rods have historically been more in demand for velious raiding than 93% rez / corpse summon / FD / twitch but necromancer is the better solo class...in the early days of this server mages were amazing soloing to 50 now they are ok i guess and struggle soloing 50-60

Iksar really is the logical necromancer race. If you are interested in playing a mage and definitely don't want to be evil make a mage instead of a necromancer
Last edited by trite; 05-03-2016 at 09:17 AM..
Old 05-03-2016, 09:26 AM
Planar Protector

Human and Gnome necros are less hated than other races, and should be able to travel in "nuetral" cities without too much of a problem (avoid Paladin/Cleric guild halls). Not too sure on the specifics, but you probably start out threatening to guards in places like Felwithe.

IMO necro is the superior choice unless you just want to be lazy and send pet in while occasionally tossing some nukes. There is almost no utility for mages, whereas necros have more variety than any class.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Human and Gnome necros are less hated than other races, and should be able to travel in "nuetral" cities without too much of a problem (avoid Paladin/Cleric guild halls). Not too sure on the specifics, but you probably start out threatening to guards in places like Felwithe.

IMO necro is the superior choice unless you just want to be lazy and send pet in while occasionally tossing some nukes. There is almost no utility for mages, whereas necros have more variety than any class.
Don't want to flame this post but mage is much more utility in the raiding end game. Raids would always be better off if necro players were on a rogue or cleric.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 AM
Fire Giant

Erudite necros are pretty well liked as well..and have the highest starting INT.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 AM
Planar Protector

Dark elf necro and don't look back
Old 05-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Erudite necros are pretty well liked as well..and have the highest starting INT.
This is what I play. They look pretty cool with the hoods, and Paineel is a such a great city, thematically. You are well liked in lots of places too, which has been nice.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by trite [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
mage is much more utility in the raiding end game.
Could you elaborate on this a bit please?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaSeven [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is what I play. They look pretty cool with the hoods, and Paineel is a such a great city, thematically. You are well liked in lots of places too, which has been nice.
I was wondering about this. i think Erudite would make a great caster and I'm leaning toward them for both classes realistically unless this forum persuades me otherwise.
Closed Thread