Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Red face Can we not use gimmicky names, please?

I remember in EQ classic that character names were strictly monitored, and had to meet certain conditions. Your character names couldn't be a phrase, or a reference to a real person or thing, among some of the strict rules. Now I know this server is a bit more relaxed, but the EQ classic feel is partly gone when I see people named: Georgebush, Rocketdude, Sushi Burger, etc. These are not actual player names, just examples so as not to embarass anyone, but you get the idea.

Its more of a mild annoyance than a real problem, but it takes you out of the world, and into a game, when you notice it.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Character names in EverQuest should reflect the genre of the game. Original, high-fantasy names are desired. These guidelines apply both to first names and to surnames, and also to the combination of first name and surname.

The following types of names are inappropriate:.

Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words.
Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeaz, Tug Mcgroin).
Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin, Angel, Devil, Demon).
Trademarked names of products, services, or concepts (e.g. , Marlboro, Sony, Band-Aid).
Non-fantasy oriented names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, Ronald Reagan, Michael Jordan).
Common words and phrases that would not be found in the place and time setting of the game (e.g. Switchblade, Phaser, Toaster, Sloegin, Anyone). This includes references to drug substances or drug related paraphernalia. (e.g. Ecstacy, Cannibis)
Proper names from EverQuest (e.g. Rathe, Karana). This also includes the first or last name of any significant EverQuest NPC (e.g. Dorn, Trumpy, Karn).
Names chosen with the intent or possessed with the effect of harming the reputation of or used to impersonate a Customer or representative of Sony Online Entertainment.
Names containing titles within them, such as, but not limited to: The, Lord, Lady, Master, King, Knight, Sir, Father (e.g. Sirtallon, Lordeagle, Mothermaggy, Darksister).
Fantasy-oriented names that are easily recognized from popular existing media (e.g. Merlin, Gandalf, Belgarath, Drizzt, Tanis).
Names where the combination of the first and last name violate a previous rule.
For all of the above, misspellings and alternative spellings of the word or words are also unacceptable.

If a name is found to be in violation of any of the above polices, a member of the Customer Service Team will then use the following process:

For category 1 or 2 offenses, a member of the Customer Service Team will change the name of the character as soon as it is discovered. You may be notified of this name change either in-game or by email. Depending on the nature of the offensive name, the account may also be subject to disciplinary action including suspension or banning. A GM will contact you to inform you if disciplinary action is taken.
For categories 3 through 11, the member of the Customer Service Team will contact you either in game or via email to notify you of the character's name change. After your name is changed, any corpses currently in the world will no longer be accessible. Please inform a Customer Service Team member if you have a current corpse prior to the name change.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:31 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdragoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Vile, profane, rude, or racist names including common swear words, anatomical references, racial slurs, and homonyms of these words. Combinations of words that produce an offensive result (e.g. Hugeaz, Tug Mcgroin). Names of religious, occult, or significant historic origin (e.g. Jesus, Allah, Satan, Stalin, Angel, Devil, Demon).
Understandable, someone who joins this server shouldn't be subject to reading "Phuck Yoo"" and "Devil Worshipper" when they're grouping in Guk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxdragoon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Non-fantasy oriented names from popular media. These names can be either fictional (e.g. Rambo, Darthvader) or non-fictional (e.g. Garth Brooks, Pierce Brosnan, Ronald Reagan, Michael Jordan).
This is a bit ridiculous, though. I understand Sony wanted to create immersion in EQ when it launched, but this is an Emu server. If someone wants to name their human rogue "James Bond," or their gnome warrior "Napoleon Bonaparte," is it going to ruin your experience, or just make you laugh at their creativity?

Not that I'm biased, or anything, heh.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:48 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Its more of a mild annoyance than a real problem, but it takes you out of the world, and into a game, when you notice it.
maybe because youre playing a game

"because it ruins my roleplay fantasies/immersion" isnt a good reason to force people to name change in my opinion
Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
"because it ruins my roleplay fantasies/immersion" isnt a good reason to force people to name change in my opinion
Agreed.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
maybe because youre playing a game

Of course its a game. Perhaps you missed the wider point that what made EQ so great was that it felt like you were in another world, and not just a game, something that WoW and other MMORPGs haven't been able to capture. Part of this was the strict content control created by the original developers, and part of that was in having quality control on the name creation process. Not a lot of people liked the naming policies, just like not a lot of people liked to travel for hours from one end to the other, or the harsh xp penalties. But the EQ developers didn't care about whether you were happy with any of those things, it was their world and you were in it.

Also, it is somewhat uncharitable for you to phrase my point as one about my own immersion. I simply provided my own view as to why the policies served some good, but that is not necessarily relevant. The real crux of my point is that since this is a server that wants to provide a similar experience to the classic game, then it should adhere to the original policies of the game - which is as important as any other mechanic of the game.

At any rate, I am suggesting that if people want to play in a server that closely emulates classic EQ, part of that is adhering to the naming policies. This is something that at this point in time hasn't been enforced in this server, and it would simply be up to the players themselves to adhere to.
Last edited by foxdragoon; 11-18-2009 at 11:14 AM..
Old 11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Kobold

People had those kind of names on classic all the time. I think one of my favorite was Bloodsoaked Virginslayer
Old 11-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

No one is disputing there weren't.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
At any rate, I am suggesting that if people want to play in a server that closely emulates classic EQ, part of that is adhering to the naming policies. This is something that at this point in time hasn't been enforced in this server, and it would simply be up to the players themselves to adhere to.
Players don't adhere to anything, and lets face it, the player base hasn't exactly been a shining model of self-policing from day one.

No one wants to be the bad guy.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
I remember in EQ classic that character names were strictly monitored, and had to meet certain conditions. Your character names couldn't be a phrase, or a reference to a real person or thing, among some of the strict rules. Now I know this server is a bit more relaxed, but the EQ classic feel is partly gone when I see people named: Georgebush, Rocketdude, Sushi Burger, etc. These are not actual player names, just examples so as not to embarass anyone, but you get the idea.

This isn't fucking called "Project 1999 - RP PvE server"
Closed Thread