Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 01:31 AM
Large Bat

We have to have an experienced IT guy here- Why isn't he posting? And when he does you need to tell us pricing, equipment and hosts. We know you exist. Like the Alamo, we need our 21st Century Davy Crockett, our Martin Luther King Jr. of the internet traffic world. As the French built the *edit* Statue of Liberty as a gift to the Americans for the friendship and loyalty throughout the Revolution, we shall build you a website and talk in IRC with your internet alias in our hearts.
Last edited by Root; 11-22-2009 at 01:34 AM..
Old 11-22-2009, 01:32 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halladar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't know what all is involved in a ddos attack, but if something like ip registration doesn't help, does that mean virtually any site could be dropped by a hoster if someone is mad enough at them?
That's pretty much the case, yes. You can mitigate by making sure that the malicious requests are as cheap as possible (for example, have the firewall drop an auth request before it gets to an app server), but at some point you have to look at each packet and make a decision.

There are probably hardened edge proxies out there that are good at mitigating the attack. They might cost $10k+ each and up, though, for all I know. I'm not much of a network guy. More of a dev.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 AM
Large Bat

if by Eiffel Tower, you mean Statue of Liberty then yes, I agree with you :P
Old 11-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Large Bat

Who needs to know history correctly anyways?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:37 AM
Aviak

I think that what is being said is that it is very difficult to 1) find out who did this, and 2) prove it.

Also you have the problem of it possibly involving different law enforcement jurisdictions in the US, and probably other countries as well.

If something like this involved a lot of man hours to contact various isp's and whatnot, and required filing documents with a court (which it would), we are talking probably tens of thousands of dollars just to start (expenditures by a federal office, my guess). Basically I don't think they would touch somthing like this.

I had my identity stolen and some charges incurred in my name. Absolutely no one was interested in the case (county, fbi, state law enforcement). The big thing was the charges were run up in another city in another state. It's not real clear who has the jurisdiction and who wants to spend the money to investigate something like this.

Basically I don't think you can expect anything from law enforcement.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:39 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Here's some info:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk59...80174a5b.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/coll...ite_Paper.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial-of-service_attack

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...t_DDoS_attacks

Generally, defending against a DDoS would be something the ISP does at least some of the heavy lifting for, I would think.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Large Bat

You cant. This is at the federal level and feds.. arean't going to get into it. Not to mention to find the root of a DDoS... is practically impossible. However here are some things Ive found out from reading.

"These type of DOS attacks won't be resolved until IPV6 is implemented. In the mean time every network in the world to needs to block traffic from leaving their network with a source IP address that is not on their network. This can prevent their network from being used as the base of attack. If all networks did this, then a DOS attack could never be initiated.

In the mean time, it is recommended that you use something like an Attack Mitigator from Top Layer. It will help you to weather an attack much better than syn cookies. And before anyone says it, dropping packets that include source routing information also doesn't help."
Old 11-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Aviak

damn you're pretty good at google
Old 11-22-2009, 01:52 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dijalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And knowing these assholes would face federal prison time for being idiots would be good enough for me.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-22-2009, 01:58 AM
Skeleton

ahaha, hilarious messiah
Closed Thread