Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Old 04-05-2023, 08:36 PM
Kobold

definitely lots of boxes on p99, but they aren't always where you look, and often manage to evade bans

it's tough for GMs to easily enforce because many of the red flag signs of boxing can just be coincidental, so GMs won't ban purely on speculation (i've met plenty of actual keyboard turners), and all it takes is someone having a family member within earshot to grab the controls if the GMs try to box test them (something that a previous boxer I knew of used a few times to evade a ban until they finally got sloppy)

the biggest problem is that p99 mostly allows AFK XP PL. there are tons of people doing it above board, usually just leaving a character logged in while they work and someone else is grinding XP. it's because this is allowed and so many people do it that it is such an easy cover for people boxing.

if they really wanted to cut down on rampant casual boxing in p99, they should ban AFK PL
Old 04-05-2023, 10:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwieback [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is very ableist of you. It just so happens that those are his autistic 8 year old twin daughters and the only thing that relaxes them is to heal their daddy for 7 hours straight while he relives his 25 year old elf nostalgia and tries to get +3 Agility to Ear.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:38 PM
Sarnak

Teal does not allow one to AFK. ONly realz exp on Teal.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:41 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is very ableist of you. It just so happens that those are his autistic 8 year old twin daughters and the only thing that relaxes them is to heal their daddy for 7 hours straight while he relives his 25 year old elf nostalgia and tries to get +3 Agility to Ear.
Ya this seems pretty obvious after reviewing. But honestly if I was just casually moving through here, I would never have guessed boxing.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunben [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have seriously been wondering about how many people actually box and how the staff probably don’t have the capability to stop it beyond the very dumbest of offenders.

I imagine it’s damn near impossible to identify it happening through a VPN. The only way to get close to identifying it is by testing those that are presumed to be boxing.

Maybe they are truly less worried about the mule in EC or the occasional 60 Druid that POTGs and then logs. It’s probably more of the 3 boxers that are holding down fungi camp or something like that.
Pretty sure there are a lot of folks who "box" in the sense of having their EC mule online while they play another char elsewhere and logging in mains to buff or port alts.etc and do so regularly and prolly have for years and never got caught. I can't say to what degree they care or don't care about stuff like that. But I'm pretty certain it's a common occurrence. I've witnessed it first hand on more than one occasion over the years. Once even talked about semi openly in a undisclosed guild VOIP server. Still kinda surprised nobody ratted on him.
Old 05-05-2023, 09:27 AM
Sarnak

https://youtu.be/PdN4smoCT90
what you think?
Old 05-05-2023, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by branamil [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Just when I wonder, "Have we lost our sense of wonder?" a comment wanders through the gloom to remind us all, nah, we can still wonder, "Can I wire the twins to cch?"

This was me and my bro before he passed. He had one eyelid that blinked at the end. We hired a neighborhood kid to come over and every time my bro blinked, the kid would click CH on my bro's cleric, Delphine.

In the final days, I would purposely just let a mob wail on me, somewhere me and my bro could just enjoy the game, and I'd be screaming at him HELL YEAH HEAL ME THAT'S RIGHT and you could tell he was happy, blinking away.

Then they banned us and my bro died.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwieback [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That looks pretty blatant. Thank you for /petitioning in-game when you saw them so a CSR could investigate.

-Mcoy
Old 05-06-2023, 01:52 AM
Sarnak

Those guys always play when no GM is arround.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That looks pretty blatant. Thank you for /petitioning in-game when you saw them so a CSR could investigate.

-Mcoy
Old 05-06-2023, 12:25 PM
Banned

Sam da man tier